Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

TREMAINE EDMUNDS WON'T COMMIT TO A RETURN TO BILLS, SEEMS BOUND FOR FREE AGENCY

Linebacker Tremaine Edmunds didn't sound like someone keen on returning to the Buffalo Bills this offseason. Edmunds, the Bills' first-round pick in 2018, is coming off the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. He made $12.7 million last season, roughly doubling his previous NFL earnings. His deal is set to expire in March 2023 when the new league year begins.

The Bills are roughly $16 million over the salary cap, so they'll have to do plenty of contract maneuvering to meet the league requirements — let alone retain a free agent of Edmunds' quality. But in exit interviews, teams can express interest in retaining their top talents, even when they're hamstrung by the cap.

Was Edmunds interested in returning to the Bills? Or might he let the process take shape?

"I'm gonna let the process take shape," Edmunds told FOX Sports last week in Phoenix at an event for his agency, Athletes First. "You know what I mean? Like, you know, they've been good to me. So I definitely say thank you to the Bills for everything that they've done for me these last five years. But like I said, man, I'm just right now — I'm in the backseat."

Anything is possible but it sounds like we have seen the end of Edmunds' career as a Bill. Which leaves more room to build the offense.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 6
  • Dislike 1

Good to hear.  

Really good player.  And in another time, he’d make all the sense in the world to prioritize and bring back, but with heavy defensive dollars tied up in Von Miller, Tre White, Matt Milano and Micah Hyde (essentially one potential star player at each level of the defense), it’s time to move on.  

I’d still be shocked if we didn’t do something stupid like match what will inevitably be a big contract offer from someone else, but this is promising for those of us that want offensive investment this off-season. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, BillsSbSoon said:

Damn that sounds like he’s a goner. Wanted Tremaine back bad. Now we’ve gotta find a middle backer on top of the other things we need. Not good

Far better than allocating huge money to a MLB that doesn't help us in the playoffs.  They need to allocate more resources on offense...it's the way of the league.  McD needs to stop worrying about trying to field a top 5 D every year and shortchanging the offense because of it.  The rules favor the offense, use it to your advantage,  The D just needs to be middle of the pack, not great.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Not getting a long-term contract done last season gave me about a 50/50 shot of him staying.

Now I think it's less than that.  The cap is real, and it affects both sides.

These young men have a lot to consider when it's their one big chance and this is Edmunds's time.

What will be, will be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.