Could Bills tag/extend Poyer?

PromoTheRobot

I have been the biggest Jordan Poyer fan going. He has been playing at an all pro level for most of his time in Buffalo. The fact he got the pro bowl nod this year after he played on one knee and consequently had his worst season in our uni shows how devalued the pro bowl is. It took him until 2021 to get his all pro recognition too but it should have come sooner. 

Despite all that, I think it is time to move on. I'd put Jordan Poyer on the WoF down the line. That is how good I think he has been for the Bills, truly the heartbeat of the team. But about to turn 32, with a torn up knee and wanting a final payday for his family, it's time to hug it out, wish him well and move on.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know he was playing injured and without Hyde, but Poyer was really bad in coverage down the stretch.

Its time to blow up this fraud defense. Let Poyer and Edmunds walk.  Probably nets you a 3rd and a 5th in comp picks. Get Allen an o-line and another WR.

Though Beane probably screws the comp pick up like he did losing out on a 3rd for Gilmore.

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Both would be great but I been saying Edmunds should be priority #1 as far as our own FAs

Agreed Edmunds should be the first one shown the door

• Agree 2

Kinda sorta makes sense for us - because he doesn’t have a lot left in the tank and this gives us one more year before we move on. 

but this sucks for him.  No chance at a final big deal.  Will be one more year older and more damaged next year in FA.  

I hope smart minds prevail and let him test FA now.  It’s the right thing.  Tag/resign Edmonds (which I find ironic because 12 months ago he was terrible on here - now we’re praising him). 

3 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Is it possible to tag someone and then trade them?

I’m not sure of that answer but the return would be so low, why do it?

Just let him walk. It sucks because we all love the guy but Beane has allocated too many resources to the defense and the offense is in dire need of some attention.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I’m not sure of that answer but the return would be so low, why do it?

Just let him walk. It sucks because we all love the guy but Beane has allocated too many resources to the defense and the offense is in dire need of some attention.

He is coming off an all pro season.  And I'm pretty sure someone will pay him big money, so why wouldn't they trade for him?  Maybe for an O-lineman?  Gotta be a better return than a potential comp pick, no?

Let Poyer and Edmunds walk and replace them with average guys. I'm tired of having such a weak OL. I'm not saying they are bad players, but the state of our OL is pathetic. Besides Dawkins, we have nothing but backup caliber O Linemen. We'll still have a solid secondary and avg + Milano is an above average LB corps. At least shore up RT and get a decent LG or get 2 OT's and move Dawkins inside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

He is coming off an all pro season.  And I'm pretty sure someone will pay him big money, so why wouldn't they trade for him?  Maybe for an O-lineman?  Gotta be a better return than a potential comp pick, no?

He’s a 32 year old Safety with a bad knee.  Nobody is going to give up picks for the right to pay him $14m for one season.

When does something like that ever happen?

His all pro season was 2021. He was not an all pro this year. He actually had his worst season as a Bill. Now granted he played with a torn meniscus but other teams know that too and also see him about to turn 32.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been the biggest Jordan Poyer fan going. He has been playing at an all pro level for most of his time in Buffalo. The fact he got the pro bowl nod this year after he played on one knee and consequently had his worst season in our uni shows how devalued the pro bowl is. It took him until 2021 to get his all pro recognition too but it should have come sooner. 

Despite all that, I think it is time to move on. I'd put Jordan Poyer on the WoF down the line. That is how good I think he has been for the Bills, truly the heartbeat of the team. But about to turn 32, with a torn up knee and wanting a final payday for his family, it's time to hug it out, wish him well and move on.

My head agrees.

but with how important S play has been to the Frazier D, I don’t see how Jordan walking makes us better next year. Because, IMO, Jordan walking means we need to either sign a reasonable FA or draft a DB HIGH. Neither of which are ideal.

IMO, ideal off-season is reach a 2 year deal with Poyer, Edmunds walk, trade or extend Oliver to reduce his hit, and sign a middling MLB. Then you have flexibility in the draft to focus outside of S/DB (although with Hyde and Poyer old as hell, JJ sucking and Hamlin TBD, S will still need to be addressed.)

This is what happens when you never make any hard decisions and constantly bring everybody back on the defensive side of the ball. Plus rookies and young players never get developed.  Are Poyer and Edmunds the right guys to draw the line on?  I think I’d rather bring those 2 back than keep Oliver, Tre White, or Taron Johnson.  Settle too.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.