Post Super Bowl Thought

Santana

Good morning!

After watching the Super Bowl Sunday night, I came away with this overwhelming feeling that the Bills are really far behind on creativity and scheming in their play calling. This relates to both sides of the ball but especially offensively. The Chiefs and Eagles were so creative with their running schemes and midrange passing game and the only thing I could think about is how far the Bills might actually be. I was just wondering if any of you came away with the same feeling?

As always, have a great day and GO BILLS!! 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 9

If Josh would take the underneath stuff 33% more, our offensive production would be insane!!!!

Did you notice the Chiefs playing man, across the board and forcing Hurtz to be a QB? Is there anyone on this board who doesn’t believe McFrazier would have been playing most , if not all, the DBs a minimum of 5 yards off on an overwhelming majority of the plays.

What I saw, were two teams trying to win….Not, trying not to lose.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

I came away with the obvious thought that the Bills coaching is way behind the Chiefs and Eagles. But the biggest thing I thought about during the game was, will our head coach & coordinators LEARN from what they witnessed coaching wise - or will they continue their stubborn philosophies which IMHO will never get us over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Santana said:

Good morning!

After watching the Super Bowl Sunday night, I came away with this overwhelming feeling that the Bills are really far behind on creativity and scheming in their play calling. This relates to both sides of the ball but especially offensively. The Chiefs and Eagles were so creative with their running schemes and midrange passing game and the only thing I could think about is how far the Bills might actually be. I was just wondering if any of you came away with the same feeling?

What I saw were two dominant offensive lines.  Something we should be trying to build instead of signing clowns like Saffold.

• Agree 7

27 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I don't think they are far behind, it isnt rocket science, they all had copious amounts of experience, countless hours of play scheming.  We lost because we were grossly outmanned in the trenches against Cinci.

Yeah I get we were outmanned but we were definitely outcoached as well. That's just my opinion.

Here is my issue with the OL / WR argument. I agree that is an issue and needs to be fixed. However, the job of the coaches is to adjust. Our staff not only fails way to often to adjust to other teams. The offense especially failed to adjust to itself. Good coaching can adjust to the strengths of the team. I dont think this staff knew how to do that. Its a stubbornness or ignorance to make even subtle adjustments. Instead they try to be overly creative with new stuff that rarely worked. Its not complicated - our OL cant block maybe throw in more short quick stuff. Utilize screens to keep the D honest. WR's cant get separation - use more crossing and pick routes. No we stick with up and go's or everyone run deep that not only requires wr to get open on their own but the OL to protect. Instead we use our TE and RB to block more which makes us easier to defend.  

• Agree 3

What I took away from that Super Bowl is that:

1) The Eagles offensive line is insane. They could have went for every single 4th and 1 or 2 and gotten it. There is nothing the Chiefs d could do but get blown off the ball.

2) Andy Reid is so dang good that he erased that o-line mismatch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

There's one big takeaway, and it's one i'm quite confident is lost on Beane and McDermott..

Eagles Defense pulled a Bills/Frazier when it mattered.  All the investment anyone could want.  Led the league all season in almost every metric.  Fell flat on their face against an elite Offense in the biggest moments. 

Could not tell the difference between their elite defense and the average Chiefs defense.  

...because that's all you need.   An average defense with a gamewrecker on the line.  Von is that for us.  Jones is that for KC.  Make no mistake, for all the offense talk, Chiefs don't even get to the Super Bowl without Chris Jones.  If he tore his ACL, it's a wrap on their season also.   However, they have a fighting shot, because they realize that beyond Chris Jones... it doesn't matter, it just has to be league average... and due to that philosophy, Mahomes has an elite OL and a ton of weapons every year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Eh. Everyone overreacts to everything. With how the Bills were playing at the end of the season, they won’t have beat either of those teams. However, earlier in the year, they beat the Chiefs and were SB favorites. 

I will say that too many people just assumed Dorsey could do a job he has never done before. 

1 hour ago, Santana said:

Good morning!

I have been harping on this in many threads for a long time now.

The no. 1 thing we can do to improve our team for next season is to replace the OC with an experienced one who designs plays on a MUCH MORE SOPHISTICATED LEVEL.

Hiring a rookie for that job was a MISTAKE and he is not going to magically morph into something substantially better in one off-season.

People have said this, and it sounds a bit out-there at first, but yes, we should have fired McDermott and made Daboll the head coach...and then keep him here for a long time.

We would have a stable, much better, offensive scheme for Josh to work, learn, and grow within.

We can get anyone to come in here and give us acceptable defensive coaching.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

The crazy part to me, is that the offensive schemes seemed more creative in the first 5 games. Quintin Morris and Gilliam had easy TD catches, being wide open. Until the Beasley TD that was a designed bubble screen, it's like Dorsey went vanilla. Look at how simple presnap movements got the Chiefs two gimme TDs against the Eagles! At least try some!

The Eagles OLine is crazy good but that's way harder to fix. Schemes can be fixed... NOW.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.