SB LVll Game Thread: Eagles VS Chiefs

T&C

2 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Good lord.  Anyone happy with the way that game ended is either a Chiefs homer or a closet Chiefs fan and from the beginning, I didn't care who won.

Worst call I've ever seen considering it decided the outcome of a Super Bowl.

It was poor timing on the DB's part to do this IMO. 

Not knowing what a player can and can't get away with is part of the problem IMO. Makes it harder to justify the penalty. By rule everyone including both players involved ageed it was a holding penalty. Impeding or not, grabbing the Jersey is bad technique. Allowing the WR to score would have even been better IMO. Let the SuperBowl be a lesson. 

Edited by Figster

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

the rule was changed specifically to allow players to be pushed forward, so probably not

It evolved into something entirely different this past season. 

It's becoming common now for plays to end with giant pushing scrums and huge offensive linemen running up to join the scrum and push for another yard or 2.   Doesn't really require any skill and put player safety in jeopardy.  And it mostly happens after forward motion is stopped or basically stopped. 

It doesn't feel like something that should be a legal part of the game, at least to me.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Eagles had no answer for Kelce, he was running free in the secondary. There still doesn’t seem to be anyway to limit him. 

The Chiefs had some slick run plays were Pacheco and McKinnon would slide across the formation and take the handoff, instead of head on.

In the second half, the Eagles had problems getting the ball to Smith and Brown. There were long stretches of the game where I said where is Brown, Smith hasn’t touched the ball forever. 

I thought their FB had a great game.  He was making the Eagles defense second guess every play.

Going Into this season the narrative was chiefs were taking a step back mostly because they traded one of their key weapons and resetting the cap to a degree.  Yet they win the SB.   IMO the perceived need of “more weapons” is not founded for the bills and help is needed in other places.  More talent is always better but this staff with JA can win. They need to figure it out. 

• Simon unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

the rule was changed specifically to allow players to be pushed forward, so probably not

I think the league has realized it was a mistake to change it but we’ll see. There’s already so many people calling for it in the media and among former players. 

6 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

There was none called to the best of my knowledge.  That's what makes this one all the more worse and that one in particular was so weak, I would've had a problem with it  if it happened during a regular season game where the game was already out of hand due to the score.

The fact this happened in a Super Bowl and essentially decided the outcome is still shocking to me.

Why? That kind of play goes back to the very origins of the game...controlling the line of scrimmage.  If the defense can't stop it, it's because they're losing the battle in the trenches.

The push plays ruined what used to be a tense situation. 4th and 1 and even 2 are now just gimme plays because it’s physically impossible for 1 or 2 defensive linemen to stand up against 7+ players pushing directly on them. It’s just stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good lord.  Anyone happy with the way that game ended is either a Chiefs homer or a closet Chiefs fan and from the beginning, I didn't care who won.

This is obviously a massive exaggeration but I’m sure you realize that too. It was objectively a penalty that some are arguing the refs just shouldn’t call in that situation vs plays like the Saints-Rams pass interference where literally everyone can agree it was a blatant penalty. 

I would argue every game in every sport likely has multiple calls worse than the one from last night. 

On the flip side, is your hate of the Chiefs blinding you to the fact that it was definitely a hold? The refs didn’t decide the outcome, the Eagles poor defense in the second half did

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Yes, they did but the game shouldn't have ended that way.

The referees decided the outcome of that game, not the players.

The players did decide the game. The outscored the Eagles 28-11 in the second half. How about with a 10 point lead you don’t give up wide open plays on defense and on offense you move the football and keep the pedal to the metal? The Eagles looked like the 2022 Buffalo Bills……look like the best team in the NFL one half and look mind boggling inconsistent on both sides of the ball the next half. Eagles had so many opportunities to blow that game wide open and never took advantage of it…..didn’t come down to 1 penalty, it came down to 1 half.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think the Eagles defense played the Chiefs all wrong. They played them like the 2021 Chiefs where you had to drop everyone back into deep zones because of the threat of Tyreek Hill. This year they don't have a player like that so defenses have learned you can cheat more towards the short and intermediate areas without getting burned too often. The Eagles instead called an extremely vanilla and easy to dissect defense. Always rush 4 and drop everyone into their zone. Reminded me of our plan against the Bengals. That's way too easy for an elite QB and play caller, especially with an offensive line as good as the Chiefs. Because of this vanilla defense the Chiefs kept winning on 1st and 2nd down which made it difficult for the Eagles pass rush to ever find a rhythm. Andy Reid schooled his former team.

on d philly was extra boring and basic and KCs blocking (not just OL, who are maybe the best in passing, but backs and TEs too) was superb.  

kc won that game because almost exactly how cinci was running against us, they ran vs the philly d.  they attacked one guy up the gut on 1st and 2nd down whenever they saw the match up they wanted, and got huge gains.

also, philly made two HUGE 7 point mistakes, the kick return allowed and the fumble for a TD.  

on D KC just decided to flood against the run and force hurts to be a QB.  they dared him to pass and never really rushed him.  it woulda been a frustrating way to lose if philly avoided either of those terrible mistakes, or woke up in the second half and did something to not allow KCs easy yards on the ground.

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Interesting post and a very good perspective. I'm not sure how I feel about the take though.

While watching the game, I was very surprised that the Philly D didn't get to Mahomes. Very little pressure throughout the game. I knew the KC Oline was good but I still thought Philly's Dline could severely disrupt Mahomes. Pretty surprising to see Mahomes with so much time. 

Blitzing Mahomes is usually not advised. So not sure what good options the Eagles had. Maybe someone can give better insight on this. Whatever they did clearly wasn't effective in the second half. 

In the end, you just have to give credit to Reid and Mahomes. They are just so clutch in big games. They know how to finish. I think we all basically knew by the middle of the 4th quarter that Chiefs were likely going to win. That says a lot about the winning ways and the organization of the Chiefs. Unfortunately, the Bills are lagging behind.

Philly’s dline feasted on D. Jones, Commanders QB’s etc.

Good defense, but not as great as the stats suggested.

14 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Nah, ticky tack 

I would like to see the angle the ref had. I’ve only seen the front angle. If you watch it looks like Bradberry grabs him immediately on the back and holds but we can’t see that angle. That’s the angle the ref had.

I hate those calls in that situation but JuJu was literally wide open and obviously won the route.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Dan Marino thought that too...

Nobody knows what the future holds. You need to take advantage of the opportunities you get.

They may not get back for another decade.

The Eagles are in salary cap hell.  They have lots of UFA and no cap room, and they have lots of older players and have been pushing the cap issue down the road.  They were all in for this year, and that's before Hurts gets paid.  They are by no means set for the next decade, or even next year, 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It evolved into something entirely different this past season. 

It's becoming common now for plays to end with giant pushing scrums and huge offensive linemen running up to join the scrum and push for another yard or 2.   Doesn't really require any skill and put player safety in jeopardy.  And it mostly happens after forward motion is stopped or basically stopped. 

It doesn't feel like something that should be a legal part of the game, at least to me.

It's a legitimate use of a rule created specifically for this purpose.  I can't see how it puts the QB in much jeopardy for injury.

53 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think the league has realized it was a mistake to change it but we’ll see. There’s already so many people calling for it in the media and among former players. 

The push plays ruined what used to be a tense situation. 4th and 1 and even 2 are now just gimme plays because it’s physically impossible for 1 or 2 defensive linemen to stand up against 7+ players pushing directly on them. It’s just stupid. 

It was changed in 2005, I believe.  Why would they change the rule when they wrote it expressly to allow this type of play.  This is the intended outcome of the rule change.  Why would they change a rule that is working exactly as intended?  Every team should do it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.