Gabe Davis caught an abysmal 51.6% of his 93 targets this year. Update: High% off target

Figster

22 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Gabes problem other than he can’t catch is that he’s horrible in the short and intermediate areas of the field.  

And he doesn't work back to josh on broken plays, which would be a massive help to joshs game. On the all 22 you will see him just kinda standing across feild while josh is scrambling looking down feild. Maybe the most dangerous part of mahomes game is his ability to scramble and hit a reciever working back to him. Kelce is elite at it. Then you see josh scramble and Gabe is opposite feild just giving up on the play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

And he doesn't work back to josh on broken plays, which would be a massive help to joshs game. On the all 22 you will see him just kinda standing across feild while josh is scrambling looking down feild. Maybe the most dangerous part of mahomes game is his ability to scramble and hit a reciever working back to him. Kelce is elite at it. Then you see josh scramble and Gabe is opposite feild just giving up on the play.

My strongest emotional response after the Bengals game was "I am so done with Gabe Davis."  It is this "giving up" that annoys me so much, not just running routes but contested balls.  If he's not open it seems like he barely tries.  There's no fight in him.  Knox had drops but they were the easy ones...the ones he didn't have to fight for.  Not fighting for the ball is worse than a drop in my book.  Unfortunately, though I feel done with him, I don't think they can do much to move on now.  They wouldn't get much for him.  Have to hope he comes back next year with better focus.  Before the season I had hoped he would develop into a 1A type receiver and they could trade him for assets, because given what the receiver market was last year wouldn't be able to afford to extend such a receiver...but would have been a great asset to move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Anyone who thinks 41% of the incompletions were bad throws from Josh is smoking crack. Josh threw too many low percentage passes, but a relatively high amount were catchable. Gabe was his own worst enemy.

So you don't think the way Dorsey is using Davis has anything to do with it? 

Use Gabe Davis in the short game more and Davis's numbers get better IMO.

You can look at how on average a QB's completion percentage drops when you go from short to long range targeting. This carries over to the WR.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I’ve heard that Gabe uses unorthodox hand positioning when catching the ball. I may have heard it a while ago on Locked on Bills podcast. I’m no expert but maybe he needs to go back to school on his technique instead of endlessly drilling bad technique. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Mango said:

It’s not stat padding, it’s keeping drives alive and making defenses pay for making certain decisions. 

It is a very real, regular, and necessary part of playing the QB position. 

Some of the greatest qbs in history understood the value of shorter passes and checkdowns.  It's how you get defenses out of cover2 shell.  Josh will have to eat some of his ego and practice this.  So on a different note will the Bills exercise their 5th year on Gabe? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Some of the greatest qbs in history understood the value of shorter passes and checkdowns.  It's how you get defenses out of cover2 shell.  Josh will have to eat some of his ego and practice this.  So on a different note will the Bills exercise their 5th year on Gabe? 

There is no 5th year. It’s extend or let walk. Only first round picks get the option. 

I think they re-sign. 

Edited by Mango

11 hours ago, Figster said:

So you don't think the way Dorsey is using Davis has anything to do with it? 

Use Gabe Davis in the short game more and Davis's numbers get better IMO.

You can look at how on average a QB's completion percentage drops when you go from short to long range targeting. This carries over to the WR.

Possibly a little as easier catches should’ve improved his drop rate somewhat. But Gabe doesn’t seem to get much separation so contested catches become the problem with that. I was a huge Gabe 👾 fan. I live in Orlando and I watched him play at UCF, but he needs to improve a lot over what he did last season for me to want him to stay the Buffalo Bill.

Edited by Meatloaf63

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Possibly a little as easier catches should’ve improved his drop rate somewhat. But Gabe doesn’t seem to get much separation so contested catches become the problem with that. I was a huge Gabe 👾 fan. I live in Orlando and I watched him play at UCF, but he needs to improve a lot over what he did last season for me to want him to stay the Buffalo Bill.

One common denominator in all of this is, there was always a veteran over Gabe Davis in previous years. Perhaps that took some of the heat off of him and he over, took that veteran as the season went on. He didn’t have that this year he was the guy at number two.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, Josh really does need to incorporated the shorter passes into his craft, imo he has not matured enough in this aspect, he needs to get past this portion of his ego. If or when he does embrace this aspect of his craft he will truly become a devastatingly good QB that teams dread playing, not saying he isn’t a big talent because he is, but could you just imagine josh figuring this out, he would be near unstoppable. 

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I know bashing Davis is hot right now (along with bashing anyone/everyone else from the team), but let's look at those numbers...

93 Targets

51.3% Catches (48)

7 true Drops

48 catches + 7 drops = 55

93 - 55 =38

So for all those targets, 38 of them (41%) were flat out misses by Josh. Mostly those deep, low percentage heaves that Josh just cant STOP himself from throwing when the D shows Cover 0 or Man or whatever gets him so excited.

44 Targets

27 Catches (61.4%)

3 TDs 

541 yards

Thats Robert Foster’s rookie numbers, just running those same deep go routes, with rookie Josh Allen who couldn’t hit the broadside of the hospitality tent.  We all know Josh’s ball placement was nowhere near what it is now.  Which means I think that 41% you put on Josh for “flat out misses” more likely just

A-Gabe being a non-elite route runner

B-Gabe not getting separation

C-Gabe being slow

D-All of the above 

Not saying Josh is perfect, he misses a couple a game, but there is no way he “flat out missed” Gabe Davis almost half of every time he threw his way, that’s ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

44 Targets

27 Catches (61.4%)

3 TDs 

541 yards

Thats Robert Foster’s rookie numbers, just running those same deep go routes, with rookie Josh Allen who couldn’t hit the broadside of the hospitality tent.  We all know Josh’s ball placement was nowhere near what it is now.  Which means I think that 41% you put on Josh for “flat out misses” more likely just

A-Gabe being a non-elite route runner

B-Gabe not getting separation

C-Gabe being slow

D-All of the above 

Not saying Josh is perfect, he misses a couple a game, but there is no way he “flat out missed” Gabe Davis almost half of every time he threw his way, that’s ridiculous.  

Ehh, Davis had over twice as many targets this year as Foster in the year you cite.

I attribute that to the Josh/Dorsey philosophy of having never seen a bomb they dont like.

Way too many times this year the Bills would get the ball back and go bomb-bomb-sack-punt.

I dont think they were ALL misses by Josh, but I think a good portion of them were bad decisions - throwing deep, low percentage balls into tight coverage (and sometimes into double and triple coverage).

Throw another 50 bombs at Foster, against Defenses that are knowingly baiting Josh to throw it deep, and see how it goes.

Davis definitely had a disappointing season on his own and has a lot to improve upon, I am not arguing against that. But so do Dorsey and Josh from this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:16 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

They play different positions. Gabe in the slot is NOT going to work. Hes awful w anything not deep.

Shakir also should stay in the slot where its most natural. Just flipping their positions makes this team worse. We need an outside WR

not suggesting Gabe, as a three means he is our slot. Just that he should be third in targets from the wide receiver position. Shakir would play a split from the slot and from the outside, but number two in targets on the team.

ideally, Knox would probably be third in targets on the team, and Davis would come in fourth in targets on the team, but number third in targets from the receiver group.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh, Davis had over twice as many targets this year as Foster in the year you cite.

I attribute that to the Josh/Dorsey philosophy of having never seen a bomb they dont like.

Way too many times this year the Bills would get the ball back and go bomb-bomb-sack-punt.

I dont think they were ALL misses by Josh, but I think a good portion of them were bad decisions - throwing deep, low percentage balls into tight coverage (and sometimes into double and triple coverage).

Throw another 50 bombs at Foster, against Defenses that are knowingly baiting Josh to throw it deep, and see how it goes.

Davis definitely had a disappointing season on his own and has a lot to improve upon, I am not arguing against that. But so do Dorsey and Josh from this year.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, Dorsey calls plays in sequences like you would imagine a college QB doing it, he (Dorsey) needs to emphasize to Josh that throwing low success percentage passes at inopportune moments is not helping the team.

They (Dorsey & Josh) need to think more about staying on the field, moving the chains, eating more clock and still scoring points, it’s the winning combination that the Bills fans buddy Tom Brady used to win the AFCE and championships, all those years. With a team as good as the Bills are, it’s the fine tuning of the offense that will put us over the top. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Figster changed the title to Gabe Davis caught an abysmal 51.6% of his 93 targets this year. Update: High% off target
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.