Gabe Davis caught an abysmal 51.6% of his 93 targets this year. Update: High% off target

Figster

14 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think in an ideal situation, Shakir emerges as the #2 next year. Davis goes back to his role as #3 and thrives. Bring in another speedster to compete with and possibly move on from McKenzie. 

Would be great to draft a great WR early but with also needing upgrades on the o-line I'm not sure I see that. It does feel like WR salaries have exploded so long-term it may be wise to draft a WR round 1 over an o-lineman. 

I have two requirements of any WR the Bills draft early. They need either have game breaking speed like a Waddle or Hill or they need to be minimum 6'3".

They play different positions. Gabe in the slot is NOT going to work. Hes awful w anything not deep.

Shakir also should stay in the slot where its most natural. Just flipping their positions makes this team worse. We need an outside WR

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Good points.

I think we are all looking for statistical evidence to support what we felt while watching Gabe this season.  Watching the All-22's, he just didn't look sharp in his route running and didn't appear strong in cutting and coming back/making a play on the ball.  And there was the alligator arm thing and his inexplicable lack of awareness of the sideline at times.  Ultimately, he failed the eye test for me.  Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to him in past seasons, because there weren't as many glaring mess ups due to his lesser target numbers.

There is certainly a point to be made regarding the bold as well.

And while I'm not here to make excuses for players or coaches, I would bet a portion of that was due to the early ankle injury that he played through for the rest of the season.

I guess my overall point is, there is a lot more to it than "Davis sucks" and we shouldnt be quick to move on. A lot of what I see IS fixable.

New Bomb-Happy OC and QB putting up low percentage balls to him.

Early injury affecting his route running (which also disrupts timing with Josh).

AND Gabe having an off year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I don't think bad throws effect the catch percentage, right?

Nope just Dr trying to blame Allen for Davis’s drops 

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Actually, lots of them were desperation heaves by hero-ball Josh.

You mention 1 of 7 accounted for drops on the season.

There were still 38 missed targets.

Lot more on Josh than Gabe.

Nope that’s on Gabe Greg Cosell pretty much agrees with the sentiment here Davis is just a Jag. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He only RUNS NFL films for 40 years I’ll take his analysis over your obvious attempt to blame Allen for Gabe Davis 

So you dont have the answer on the simple question which is on topic. You just want to insert some outside opinion when we are talking stats and numbers. Noted.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So you dont have the answer on the simple question which is on topic. You just want to insert some outside opinion when we are talking stats and numbers. Noted.

You kinda have no one to backup your argument man why don’t you try to blame Josh for Isiah Mackenzie’s drops while you’re at it. Cause I can get Chris Simms to backup my opinion that Allen plays with Steff Diggs and JAGS 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You kinda have no one to backup your argument man why don’t you try to blame Josh for Isiah Mackenzie’s drops while you’re at it. Cause I can get Chris Simms to backup my opinion that Allen plays with Steff Diggs and JAGS 

all he is saying is not every target was a drop. If Allen overthrows him it's not a drop and is counted as a target. He's not saying Davis is blameless or Allen is fully to blame.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Wow breaking news 😳

There might be 4 or 5 threads on this back in late December, early January?

I paged back and didn't see anything recent and didn't mean to steal anyones thunder. The OP on twitter comes up with very good topics for discussion. So I asked GREG If he would mind If I share a few of them here on TBD. Nice guy, he said thats fine.

Off season is usually where the discussions for needed changes picks up. If any of you guys want to post the link to previous discussions. By all means.

Edited by Figster

Davis isn’t the answer at WR2.  And it goes past just his drops.  He doesn’t win on his route enough on the short and intermediate areas of the field, he has poor awareness, lacks focus, and has a very limited route tree.  

And I had high hopes for him this past year.  But we need a more complete WR there, one who can win their routes and be relied on to make the catch AND get his feet in bounds.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I know bashing Davis is hot right now (along with bashing anyone/everyone else from the team), but let's look at those numbers...

93 Targets

51.3% Catches (48)

7 true Drops

48 catches + 7 drops = 55

93 - 55 =38

So for all those targets, 38 of them (41%) were flat out misses by Josh. Mostly those deep, low percentage heaves that Josh just cant STOP himself from throwing when the D shows Cover 0 or Man or whatever gets him so excited.

Davis could have and should have had a better year. He had some bad drops, and some bad games. But a lot of his regression was due to the leaders of the Offense (Josh and Dorsey) completely losing their way on how to take what the D gives you, keep the drive alive, and move the ball down the field.

Ding ding ding. A lot of them.

Meanwhile, Knox and Singletary running open underneath...

The reason Gabe gets all the deep shots is because he is horrible at getting separation in the short/intermediate area. That DB in the beginning of the season nailed it- Gabe only runs 3 routes. We all dismissed that as garbage but in retrospect it’s true. I don’t blame Gabe for not meeting the expectations as a true #2. He got the chance to step up, he failed, so this team must get a better option at #2 for next year and put Gabe back in the 3/4 WR position where he can excel.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.