2023 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Rico

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/rock-roll-hall-fame-nominees-2023-kate-bush-willie-nelson-white-stripes-1235509036/

Kate Bush

Sheryl Crow

Missy Elliott

Iron Maiden

Joy Division/New Order

Cyndi Lauper

George Michael

Willie Nelson

Rage Against the Machine

Soundgarden

The Spinners

A Tribe Called Quest

The White Stripes

Warren Zevon

Joy Division, White Stripes, and Warren Zevon for me, Spinners & Willie too I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/rock-roll-hall-fame-nominees-2023-kate-bush-willie-nelson-white-stripes-1235509036/

Kate Bush

Sheryl Crow

Missy Elliott

Iron Maiden

Joy Division/New Order

Cyndi Lauper

George Michael

Willie Nelson

Rage Against the Machine

Soundgarden

The Spinners

A Tribe Called Quest

The White Stripes

Warren Zevon

Joy Division, White Stripes, and Warren Zevon for me, Spinners & Willie too I guess.

As the years go by the lists get farther and farther away from rock and roll. Joy Division and New Order are completely different, can't even compare the music. 

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

As the years go by the lists get farther and farther away from rock and roll. Joy Division and New Order are completely different, can't even compare the music. 

True.

I do think Joy Division was great & far better, but back-in-the-day I played New Order a whole lot more.

Surprised George Michael & Zevon weren't already in.

39 minutes ago, Success said:

Not a bad list, really.  It has become more the "pop" HOF than "rock" HOF, which makes sense, since rock is really over.

39 minutes ago, Success said:

There are a lot of good rock bands putting out music.  I wouldn't say the genre is dead, but kids nowadays would rather listen to autotune music about eating ass.

3 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Iron Maiden, as silly / great as they are, aren't rock 'n' roll?

They are, I never said that...

To clarify, Joy Division and New Order are two completely different bands with completely different music. What I meant was that they shouldn't be lumped together.

Some of the bands that Should be in the "hall" but aren't... Captain Beefheart, Thin Lizzy, and....... King Crimson. We have Cindi Lauper on this years list lol.

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

They are, I never said that...

To clarify, Joy Division and New Order are two completely different bands with completely different music. What I meant was that they shouldn't be lumped together.

Some of the bands that Should be in the "hall" but aren't... Captain Beefheart, Thin Lizzy, and....... King Crimson. We have Cindi Lauper on this years list lol.

Joy Division became New Order after Ian Curtis hung himself, so it does make sense to group them together to me.

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

No offense but putting Willie Nelson in the Rock n Roll HOF would be akin to putting Willie Mays in the hockey HOF.

Same with Dolly Parton. They are bestowing upon them rock cred which for me doesn't really compute. I dunno. In the end it is a museum and I wouldnt hate seeing their memorabilia. Congratulations on Long and Illustrious careers. 

For this year These would be my choices: Cindy Lauper- George Michael- Rage Against the Machine- The White Stripes- Warren Zevon

These are a few of my personal favs so I am biased. But if these were the inductees I would definitely want to watch the broadcast concert just sayin'

Soungarden - As Doug Marrone would say ..."obviously"

Willie Nelson - It hasn't been the R&R HOF in a long time, It's a music HOF

Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London is reason enough

Where the hell are Alice in Chains, Jethro Tull and Bad Company ?

Had a security guard yell NO TOUCHING to me as I reached to touch Stevie Nicks dress.

Seeing a number of Jerry Garcia's guitars as well as guitars from Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page made the price of admission worth it ... Mick Jagger wore costumes I wouldn't have fit in as a 10 year old.

9 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Had a security guard yell NO TOUCHING to me as I reached to touch Stevie Nicks dress.

There's always money in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

image.thumb.jpeg.6a97e4bd3b027c059c3d6ef1c7ec7786.jpeg

Maybe she shouldn't have still been in the dress? 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rico said:

Joy Division became New Order after Ian Curtis hung himself, so it does make sense to group them together to me.

That's fair but I don't see it that way, they should have been separate. Same with The Small Faces and The Faces... two distinctly different bands.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Soungarden - As Doug Marrone would say ..."obviously"

Willie Nelson - It hasn't been the R&R HOF in a long time, It's a music HOF

Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London is reason enough

Where the hell are Alice in Chains, Jethro Tull and Bad Company ?

Seeing a number of Jerry Garcia's guitars as well as guitars from Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page made the price of admission worth it ... Mick Jagger wore costumes I wouldn't have fit in as a 10 year old.

To see a list like this(and recent years) and then read that Jethro Tull and Bad Company are not in, makes this whole thing a joke. 

Make it the “music” hall of fame if need be, but stop with the pop, rap, country, etc… all somehow have this connection to rock n roll. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Who I want: Iron Maiden, Joy Division/New Order, Willie Nelson, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, A Tribe Called Quest, Warren Zevon

Who will get in: Sheryl Crow, Milly Elliott, Iron Maiden, Joy Division/New Order, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Willie Nelson, The White Stripes.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Rico said:

I don’t think they make the cut.

Probably not.

If they ever do though the fans and whoever inducts them will make Jann Wenner look like an idiot again like Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins and Rush fans did when they got in after way too long.

1:29 mark. Watch what happens after Wenner just says "and from Toronto..."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/4/2023 at 9:50 PM, 4merper4mer said:

No offense but putting Willie Nelson in the Rock n Roll HOF would be akin to putting Willie Mays in the hockey HOF.

Yeah, they really need to consider dropping "Rock and Roll," altogether.

It's a Music Hall of Fame.  There's nothing wrong with that.  But don't call it what it clearly is not.

It's been silly from the get-go.

• Agree 4

Assuming we're talking about a music hall of fame and not a Rock and Roll hall of fame...

Willie Nelson

Warren Zevon

Iron Maiden

Tribe Called Quest

Rage Against the Machine

All have -- at the very least --  legitimate cases. The top three should be locks, in my opinion. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Assuming we're talking about a music hall of fame and not a Rock and Roll hall of fame...

Willie Nelson

Warren Zevon

Iron Maiden

Tribe Called Quest

Rage Against the Machine

All have -- at the very least --  legitimate cases. The top three should be locks, in my opinion. 

Agreed.

And if we're strictly considering Rock and Roll artists, two no-brainers that come to mind for me are Boston and Jethro Tull.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:14 PM, Rico said:

Kate Bush

Sheryl Crow

Missy Elliott

Iron Maiden

Joy Division/New Order

Cyndi Lauper

George Michael

Willie Nelson

Rage Against the Machine

Soundgarden

The Spinners

A Tribe Called Quest

The White Stripes

Warren Zevon

Not the greatest lineup. Not at all. My top choice would be The Spinners.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.