Frank Reich named new Head Coach of Panthers

Draconator

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Frank Reich was 3-5-1 before he was fired by Indy.  

A "much better hire" based on what?  Wilks did more with a less talented roster.

😂

Frank Riech HC record is 41-35-1

Steve Wilks HC record 9-19 (fired after 1 season in Arizona 3-13)

Stop the insanity. It’s not even close and the fact the Franck Riech is an offensive minded coach and strong QB coach makes him a more valuable coach for a rebuilding team with high draft picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wppete said:

😂

Stop the insanity. It’s not even close and the fact the Franck Riech is an offensive minded coach and strong QB coach makes him a more valuable coach for a rebuilding team with high draft picks. 

Look at the talent levels of each team.  I don't remember Wilks ever having one of the best offensive lines in football, any pro bowl/all pro QBs or an NFL rushing leader.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Look at the talent levels of each team.  I don't remember Wilks ever having one of the best offensive lines in football, any pro bowl/all pro QBs or an NFL rushing leader.

Bottom line and it’s not even close Frank Riech is the right decision. Not even close. 

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Yup.  Wilks got a raw deal in Arizona as the roster on offense was bare (Rosen and Glennon as their QB's), a bunch of nobody WR's to compliment Larry Fitzgerald, and a poor offensive line.  On the defensive side, they pry hired him knowing it and it would take him a couple of years to find the right guys and implement his 4-3 defensive scheme considering the Cardinals ran a 3-4 scheme with Bettcher.  Keim was the one who deserved to be fired.  Instead, they hired Kingsbury and we all know how that went. 

I'm not going to kill Tepper for wanting his head coach though as he owns the team and Reich has the credentials to get another shot as a head coach.  I'd defend Wilks more if his team made the playoffs in the weakest conference as they didn't get it done against the Steelers or Bucs down the stretch.

17 hours ago, dpberr said:

Surprised at this move by Carolina.   Steve Wilks performed COTY miracles there.  That team was running through walls for that man.

I am not. I think there is a major love affair for Reich in Buffalo and Charlotte. More so than any other cities. Buffalo for obvious reasons. But he also got a degree in theology from a Charlotte seminary, and was a pastor at a Charlotte church until he took the job in Indy. 

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

Not a great hire. Reich failed with talent in Indy. Don't see how he does much better in Charlotte. Steve Wilks was doing a great job so I am not sure why they didn't give him a shot at the full time job

Reich would be a good hire for a Houston or Denver who are just wallowing and dysfunctional at the moment. They need some stability. But Carolina is sort of a tweener. 

It isn't a bad hire, but I feel like they just hired the better version of Jeff Fischer. But they're already a .500 team. They'll likely float around 7-10 wins. It sort of reminds me of Lindy Ruff. He could take any skater and make them a 20+ goal scorer. Which was awesome for half the guys on the team. But if you were a 40+ goal scorer, he would also make you a 20 goals per year guy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Not a great hire. Reich failed with talent in Indy. Don't see how he does much better in Charlotte. Steve Wilks was doing a great job so I am not sure why they didn't give him a shot at the full time job

Yeah, it's crazy how he couldn't make that offense work with Matt Ryan and Sam Ehlinger.  

• Haha (+1) 1

how about the team hired who they want to hire FFS...

So many are going nuts in the media about how Wilks earned/deserved this job and it's some grave injustice. 

BUT just to appease the media and lawyers, I think the NFL should decree that Leslie Frazier, the architect of this amazing defense, be named a HC somewhere by the end of today. It would be a start to healing the wounds...

just wait until the Colts hire Jeff Saturday full time... LOL 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I’d like to know who’s idea it was within the colts organization to go with Matt Ryan. It was clear that guy is toast all last year and in the preseason this year. 

It was just flailing. I think they pushed their chips in with Reich and Wentz. When that failed they had to unload that contract in a hurry and Frank had to do something to save his last chance at his job with a vet behind center.

In the last two seasons they gave up a 1,2,3,3,4, 5, and 6th round picks for Matt Ryan, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, and Carson Wentz. 

Certainly Ballard deserves some blame here. But Ballard also assembled a decent roster outside of QB. The Colts are mess, based on who is staying, who is leaving, and that they spent big money and picks on QB's Reich was familiar with, I am guessing Frank asked for a few of these by name. 

(Somebody will inevitably respond with "You don't know that". But this is a message board, and none of us know anything. The entire premise is conjecture and guesses)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

I was puzzled too why Wilkes wasn't picked until I read today's newspapers & saw that Wilkes is part of the Flores lawsuit vs the NFL.  Rule number 1 in employment: If you want someone to hire you, don't sue them & then expect them to hire you for a job.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, wppete said:

😂

I am not sure this is the case. People keep saying this, but he was Mannings QB coach for only 2 years until they moved him to the WR coach in Indy. He was the OC of a bad SD offense. When he was in Philly, Wentz with Reich and Pederson was serviceable but then Wentz with Reich and not Pederson he was not. He didn't get anything out of Baker or Darnold. Baker had some wow moments once he got to LAR. 

If anything I think Reich's strong suit might be leadership as the COO of the team, not as an actual X's and O's guy. 

Guys, teams are not going to be hiring any defensive coaches moving forward.  The only exception will be somehow dominant D coaches with established QBs.

This is a 100% QB driven passing league.  Any good QB will get his OC a head coaching job, leaving a new OC to come in and mesh with your franchise QB and maybe a new system- that’s lots of turmoil.   With a HC that is an offensive guy, your scheme is set in stone and won’t change.  That consistency is paramount to success.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Guys, teams are not going to be hiring any defensive coaches moving forward.  The only exception will be somehow dominant D coaches with established QBs.

This is a 100% QB driven passing league.  Any good QB will get his OC a head coaching job, leaving a new OC to come in and mesh with your franchise QB and maybe a new system- that’s lots of turmoil.   With a HC that is an offensive guy, your scheme is set in stone and won’t change.  That consistency is paramount to success.

I disagree. Teams are going to keep chasing the Sean McVay model and hire losers like Nate Hackett over and over again, every once in awhile you find a Zac Taylor. Just hire good coaches and leaders of men. Side of the ball should not matter. Head coaches are supposed to be CEOs and should not favor one side or the other. I think the Texans are going to hire DeMeco Ryans and the Colts may hire Wink Martindale. 

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I disagree. Teams are going to keep chasing the Sean McVay model and hire losers like Nate Hackett over and over again, every once in awhile you find a Zac Taylor. Just hire good coaches and leaders of men. Side of the ball should not matter. Head coaches are supposed to be CEOs and should not favor one side or the other. I think the Texans are going to hire DeMeco Ryans and the Colts may hire Wink Martindale. 

DeMeco Ryans is gonna win a lot of games as a HC. That would be a rare smart move by the Texans 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

DeMeco Ryans is gonna win a lot of games as a HC. That would be a rare smart move by the Texans 

My first reaction when I heard that Ryans is reportedly going to pick the Texans over the Broncos was "WHY?"

But it makes sense. High draft pick. Tons of draft capital. So-so division: Jaguars could be for real but Colts and Titans both have a RB and not much else. Plus he played there, which I totally forgot. 

9 hours ago, peterpan said:

This is 100% true. One of the great advantages of having an offensive HC is you don't have to worry about changing systems. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.