Should we trade Ed Oliver?

41 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Would love to get Dhop for Oliver. You can even throw in Gabe. Dhop is elite! Now this would be a game changing move.

Agree, except I don't think I would do both Gabe and Oliver unless we got a decent draft pick included with Hopkins.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Thank you for clarifying that you don't watch games, can only judge DT's on statistics and think that disrupting offenses is meaningless.

I'll step out now.

Good choice, stepping out, as clearly you are fine with dedicating $10.7m to a player that shows up 3 games a year.  I am glad you will not reply as I will not miss trying to hold a conversation with someone that has very little idea on what they are watching.

I. Appreciate. You. For that.

And yes, statistics matter. I know. Sad for you, of course, but having an IDL "that tries hard" just is not what we are looking for or need. I tend to value production and impact.  But, it is fine to disagree.

Oh, disrupting an offense?  Ed?  The Bengals clearly had no idea what to do against us and barely eeked out a FG against the Oliver-led Bills Defense.....I overlooked that.  Those first two series the Bengals were so disrupted they could not score....oh, wait? 

I give you credit, you are a funny guy.  An ill-informed guy, but you are funny. 

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree, except I don't think I would do both Gabe and Oliver unless we got a decent draft pick included with Hopkins.  

Saw this online. Trade with AZ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.revengeofthebirds.com/platform/amp/2023/3/22/23651977/interesting-buf-ari-trade-proposal

9 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Makes sense if AZ is eating some cap.  

We end up +10M in cap on that trade if done straight up. 

Also, I think the allure of Hopkins is

that Gabe can still be structured long term.  

Edited by SCBills

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

The comp pick obsession is out of control.  Get the players you want.  If they so happen get a comp pick great.. if not who cares 

I have no obsession with comp picks, but I think Oliver is no longer a Bill after 2023, and if he happens to find a sucker to pay him big money and it results in a comp pick, great. If not, than so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Makes sense if AZ is eating some cap.  

We end up +10M in cap on that trade if done straight up. 

I'm not agreeing with it, I'm probably in the minority as I don't think DHop fits in Buffalo. Very good player, but, just something about him doesn't feel like a team fit. Now, I haven't been back in Buffalo in over 20 years and maybe people have changed, but he would clash with my upstate NY personality. 😉

19 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'm not agreeing with it, I'm probably in the minority as I don't think DHop fits in Buffalo. Very good player, but, just something about him doesn't feel like a team fit. Now, I haven't been back in Buffalo in over 20 years and maybe people have changed, but he would clash with my upstate NY personality. 😉

I don't want him coming over for dinner. I want him to catch the ball. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'd do it yesterday.  Beane get it done!

I agree. I'd keep Gabe and draft another outside wr. Just thought it was interesting. Need younger cheaper.

You do realize Gabe is likely gone next year. He's replaceable with a younger cheaper more diverse WR. 

I think Allen to Dhop would be pretty assume. He'd be jard to stop in the Buffalo offense. I don't get the "fit" thinking. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, skibum said:

I think the DL would be dangerously thin if they traded Ed. But you never know, maybe they have a plan for that.

Perhaps. I have little interest in this year's defense. This defense blows come playoff time. McD is supposed to be this defensive guru. Let him work his schemes and coach players up. Work with what you have. It is what it is. 

Concentrate 100% on offense this year. "Let Allen cook." Get him Dhop and better Oline help. I believe this is the best path to a Bills Super Bowl win. 

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Arizona is trying to shed salary and gain draft picks.  They would never give up Hopkins just to take on those contracts and give up picks to do it.

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’d like to keep Ed if we make Nuke happen - this team instantly is better than last years team with contract year Ed - and God willing a healthy Secondary.  

They can make a few roster moves like extending DaQuan Jones and restructuring a couple players to make a trade work also. 

But I don’t see it. Beane wouldn’t trade for Von Miller as a possible rental when we had the space and a chance to win the Super Bowl. I don’t think they’ll extend Hopkins so I don’t see Beane doing it unless they can move out Oliver. Beane doesn’t strike me as an “all in” type GM. Making a DHop trade and keeping Oliver is an “all in” type trade.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They can make a few roster moves like extending DaQuan Jones and restructuring a couple players to make a trade work also. 

But I don’t see it. Beane wouldn’t trade for Von Miller as a possible rental when we had the space and a chance to win the Super Bowl. I don’t think they’ll extend Hopkins so I don’t see Beane doing it unless they can move out Oliver. Beane doesn’t strike me as an “all in” type GM. Making a DHop trade and keeping Oliver is an “all in” type trade.

if we don’t make every effort to win this season, the organization is going to be under scrutiny

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He doesn't match the $10.7 million dollars his cap hit is this year.  You're pounding the sand for an above average player.  You are in the minority here.

Again, why are you just assuming we have no succession plan?  Our defense is going to cripple without an above average DT?

We have a bigger hole at WR and potentially the OL.    

I would rather not pay $10.7 million for a "viable" player who we won't resign to a long term extension.

What sounds better?  Oliver for Hopkins/Evans/Jeudy or keep Oliver, have him walk next year and get nothing.

What sounds better to you?  I honestly don't know.

You shouldn't "get nothing" though if you keep Ed a year. He will get a good free agent contract and you will get a pick back. Unless of course you ruin that with a load of mid tier FAs who mean nothing. That is the test this year on Edmunds and at the moment per over the cap we are failing it. Throwing away a 3rd round pick to have two 6th round value players. We better hope Singletary's deal is a qualifying one. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.