Should we trade Ed Oliver?

25 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I think this depends on how we look at the draft, and the other options on the board.  Say, for sake of argument, we’re dying to add a quality WR.  But we know we can’t get it done at pick 27, and we don’t want to burn draft capital to trade up.  I don’t think this is the case, but perhaps we also feel confident that we could either draft Oliver’s replacement at 27 or sign a replacement in FA to a more economical deal than what Oliver has (Ford, perhaps?).  In that context it might make sense to move Oliver to open cap space and help us acquire something that we can’t get at 27.  What that something is, and who would be willing to take on Oliver for that purpose, is beyond me.  Bottom line, I guess, is that there are a lot of moving parts here and how they perceive their needs and the ability to fill those needs in the draft might dictate their approach to Oliver.  

That would be a bad move. Trading Oliver for picks in this draft makes no sense. None at all. 

If they trade him for a guy who can make a difference on offense now, immediately, I am here for it. Trading him for a pick in a garbage draft is nuts. I'd rather let him play out the year and take the comp pick later.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Noticed you quickly edited the post where you didn’t even remember what you had posted 5 minutes ago and changed your tune.  

Jeudy is and was overrated.  That doesn’t mean everyone from Bama is overrated but we have a little experience with some.  Ruggs also played for the same Bama team.  How’s he doing?  

Your diatribe is to dump Oliver because he hasn’t produced and you’re advocating picking up a guy that ………hasn’t produced but has excuses?

Yes, I have focuses other than this board and forget things.  It doesn't change my argument.

Come on dude.  You gave two specific reasons why Jeudy was overrated and that's what I replied to....which applies to anyone player from Alabama.

Oh Ruggs played for the same Alabama team...you got me!  I think Jaylan Waddle played for Bama but not sure...was it UTEP or something?  Is this how we cherry pick?

I guess QB's do not matter.  "Jeudy hasn't produced with a horrible Russell Wilson, career back up in Bridgewater and another back up in Drew Lock".  With Wilson last year, he had 972 yards and 6 TD's and 67 receptions....again with Wilson as his QB.  

Are you under the impression that a WR would produce more with a better QB?  Mind blown...I know.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with the bolded. Ford is better as a 1T and even Pete Carroll has said that. He would be a clear step down from Ed.

Evans is one thing but Jeudy and Hopkins are high $, and low durability/production.  

For me, I think the salary cap jockeys on a message board are silly.  That’s Beane’s job.  Equating Oliver to a WR acquisition based on salary cap stuff is something for Madden.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes, I have focuses other than this board and forget things.  It doesn't change my argument.

Come on dude.  You gave two specific reasons why Jeudy was overrated and that's what I replied to....which applies to anyone player from Alabama.

Oh Ruggs played for the same Alabama team...you got me!  I think Jaylan Waddle played for Bama but not sure...was it UTEP or something?  Is this how we cherry pick?

I guess QB's do not matter.  "Jeudy hasn't produced with a horrible Russell Wilson, career back up in Bridgewater and another back up in Drew Lock".  With Wilson last year, he had 972 yards and 6 TD's and 67 receptions....again with Wilson as his QB.  

Are you under the impression that a WR would produce more with a better QB?  Mind blown...I know.

Lol you gave a rudimentary reason for Oliver being subpar and then forgot this reason in five minutes.  But you’re solid on not only our answer via trade but how this should be achieved?  Shirley,

At least according to reports, Jeudy would cost more in draft capital than Diggs did and he would have to be extended soon.  According to your GMing it would also create a hole in the DL.  

Spoiler alert: Jeudy would be hurt again by week 3.

I’ll pass.

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But any move away from him is almist certainly a significant downgrade. You only do that to get something good back in return. A mid round pick in this ***** draft ain't it. 

you could flip him for a different player post draft.

• Agree 1

Twitter threads from Bears people are hilarious right now...

All of them speculating Oliver might be getting traded there due to his posts.

Bears fans all getting hype wanting this trade to happen.  Bills fans jumping in the comments like take him, please.  Bears fans like wait, what?

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol you gave a rudimentary reason for Oliver being subpar and then forgot this reason in five minutes.  But you’re solid on not only our answer via trade but how this should be achieved?  Shirley,

At least according to reports, Jeudy would cost more in draft capital than Diggs did and he would have to be extended soon.  According to your GMing it would also create a hole in the DL.  

Spoiler alert: Jeudy would be hurt again by week 3.

I’ll pass.

Did you miss the part where I said he's not in the backfield enough?  Please tell me and the rest of this board who agrees Oliver hasn't lived up to his top 10 status, on how he's been that integral of a part.  Tell us how he consistently is in this backfield disrupting plays.  Keyword is consistently.  I know he's flashed here and there.

This board has been discussing Hopkins and Jeudy and we are discussing if we would trade Oliver straight up.  But for whatever reason, you've got your panties in a wad.  I'm not the only one discussing this trade deal and whether we would do it.

Are you the guy that once said losing to an NFC team actually hurts us?

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Twitter threads from Bears people are hilarious right now...

All of them speculating Oliver might be getting traded there due to his posts.

Bears fans all getting hype wanting this trade to happen.  Bills fans jumping in the comments like take him, please.  Bears fans like wait, what?

Browns fans are all over Jeudy right now.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you miss the part where I said he's not in the backfield enough?  Please tell me and the rest of this board who agrees Oliver hasn't lived up to his top 10 status, on how he's been that integral of a part.  Tell us how he consistently is in this backfield disrupting plays.  Keyword is consistently.  I know he's flashed here and there.

This board has been discussing Hopkins and Jeudy and we are discussing if we would trade Oliver straight up.  But for whatever reason, you've got your panties in a wad.  I'm not the only one discussing this trade deal and whether we would do it.

Are you the guy that once said losing to an NFC team actually hurts us?

Where he was drafted is no longer relevant.  What matters is whether he contributes to the team.  Are you saying if he had been drafted in the 5th then we should keep him for 2023?  Other than a cap figure, which is Beane’s job, not yours,, how does that make any sense at all?

Tua was 5 overall or something like that.  He hasn’t lived up to that.  Should the fish just dump him with no plan for succession?

25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Oliver and Gabe for Darnell Mooney and an early day 3 pick. Then use the money it frees up to sign another vet DT like Daquan that will actually show up and do their job every Sunday. 

That would leave us pariahless.  

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Where he was drafted is no longer relevant.  What matters is whether he contributes to the team.  Are you saying if he had been drafted in the 5th then we should keep him for 2023?  Other than a cap figure, which is Beane’s job, not yours,, how does that make any sense at all?

Tua was 5 overall or something like that.  He hasn’t lived up to that.  Should the fish just dump him with no plan for succession?

You are all over the place my god and another cherry picked player.  You bring up Ruggs and now Tua lol.  What about Devin Bush?  The Steelers dumped him.

Are you going to continue cherry picking?  Oliver and Tua are completely different situations lol.

How do you know we wouldn't have a succession plan?  You know what else is Beane's job and not yours or mine?  Succession planning.

This is exactly how I view Oliver.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are all over the place my god and another cherry picked player.  You bring up Ruggs and now Tua lol.  What about Devin Bush?  The Steelers dumped him.

Are you going to continue cherry picking?  Oliver and Tua are completely different situations lol.

How do you know we wouldn't have a succession plan?  You know what else is Beane's job and not yours or mine?  Succession planning.

This is exactly how I view Oliver.

Try to keep up.  Oliver is a viable player under contract, even if some don’t think it matches his draft slot years ago.  Dumping him creates a hole on a team wishing to contend.  The same is true of Tua.  The same is not true of Bush or Josh Rosen, thus they were not mentioned.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ed Oliver is literally trending nationally on Twitter

Currently #21 in United States trends

He's creating and deleting posts because it's become abundantly clear to his camp that we aren't going to come close to meeting their long-term contracts wishes.

We'll likely lose him for nothing after this year, so I'm not sure why so many want to die on the Oliver hill.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ed Oliver is literally trending nationally on Twitter

Currently #19 in United States trends

3 cryptic IG stories.. 

Amazing

His tweets/stories stem from something. I'm just waiting for some more beane magic 

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Try to keep up.  Oliver is a viable player under contract, even if some don’t think it matches his draft slot years ago.  Dumping him creates a hole on a team wishing to contend.  The same is true of Tua.  The same is not true of Bush or Josh Rosen, thus they were not mentioned.

He doesn't match the $10.7 million dollars his cap hit is this year.  You're pounding the sand for an above average player.  You are in the minority here.

Again, why are you just assuming we have no succession plan?  Our defense is going to cripple without an above average DT?

We have a bigger hole at WR and potentially the OL.    

I would rather not pay $10.7 million for a "viable" player who we won't resign to a long term extension.

What sounds better?  Oliver for Hopkins/Evans/Jeudy or keep Oliver, have him walk next year and get nothing.

What sounds better to you?  I honestly don't know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.