Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

What would you think of Brian Flores as your DC?

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 3

7 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

You'd be starting completely over defensively with that hire. Everyone complaining about wasting Josh's window - you're talking a 2-3 year transition from a personnel standpoint with a move like that.

In today's NFL there is no longer 2-3 year transition period.  Coordinators barely stay with one team for 3 years any longer.

3 hours ago, fmr60 said:

The Bills spent aggressively. this year{Miller} because this was their Super bowl year. It obviously did not work. Some aggressive retooling this year can open up funds for future years to enable them to renew, continue, their quest.

They way I look at it is just let Edmunds and Poyer go, maybe you try a tag and trade with Edmunds if there is a market. Try to trade Oliver for a Jeudy or other WR who is going to get paid with a salary swap and pay the extra 4 or 5 million to him on a new deal. Look long and hard about the cap dollars tied to our DL rotation and trade or cut some dead weight, even if you incurred a little dead cap this season who cares. It sets you up to have more cap space next offseason to really adjust. With Josh, we certainly aren't going to fall too far off. 

I hear a lot on wgr and read on Twitter and here, well draft a wr and ol this year (we should) but they won't start and will be brought along sloooooowly just like every rookie that last few years. They cannot and should not be counted on to make any impact in 2023, they won't play much. A small step back seems inevitable if they decide to make some moves. 

The thoughts of cutting Morse or not resigning Safford and expecting a rookie to play is unrealistic as well, this team does not do that. 

The alternatives are trying to keep players and kicking the cap hits down the road = keeping the band together. If they want to free space up to spend at other positions, this is the easiest and quickest way to do it. 

3 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

If those guys are all healthy we hold up better vs the run and force Cinci into more situations where they have to push the ball further down the field which in-turn gives our pass rush more time to get home. Unequivocally, yes. It would have been different. How much? Who’s to say.

McD should take the play calling duties and prove to everyone he was letting the elder call the game....or not. Put up or shut up. Sh.. or get off the pot.

8 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Fangio has supposedly been linked to wherever Payton goes.

i do wonder what the effect will be anyway since Sean likely drives the D anyway....MAYBE a new guy is more aggressive but....would Sean let him be?

Ive been a McD supporter, but starting to seriously worry. We need top coordinators.  If Payton and Fangio are a team deal, im making that move. Sure you need to revamp the D with Fangio, but better than trying to bring in a different guy with same scheme. Might take 2years to draft the right guys, but you've got an offensive mind that maximizes the talent we have now. IDK, i certainly im listening to having that convo

• Like (+1) 1

Until I see something about Frazier being out officially, I am not even going to give this another though.  McDermott loves the guy and I have a hard time believing they are going to push him out the door.  The guy I wanted was just hired by the Browns anyway.  But yeah......I'll have to see it to believe it in regards to Frazier being gone before I think about this too much.

11 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

1. We play way more 3 and Quarters than we do true Cover 2.

2. The Eagles aren't having any issues stopping good offenses running the exact same scheme.

I get it, fans over-react and want to point blame at someone. We got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You can't overcome that regardless of the scheme.

This would be an interesting take if it were true.

The Eagles are an extremely multiple base front. They run a lot of 3-3-5 base front, 4-2-5, and 3-4-4. They adapt the front based on the team they’re facing.

We run a base 4-3 Nickel and change around things post-snap. That’s how we are “multiple” and it works against bad QBs because they have no keys to read pre-snap. This doesn’t work against great QBs because they read our keys live and know EXACTLY what base to prepare for ahead of the matchup.

So… you might not be part of the “fire everyone crowd” … but you should open your eyes or at least try to find a recent time when the Bills have shut down an elite offense. You’ll find your answer there and it’s not just the trenches.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2022/10/24/23420170/state-eagles-defense-numbers-philadelphia-jonathan-gannon-nfl-football-scheme

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mango said:

I think there is room to upgrade/replace both coordinators. 

But I am really frustrated with the FO that we are in this position. I just don't get how we got so tight against the cap and so many draft picks that have just been role players. We can replace all the coordinators we want, but it doesn't change the fact that we have neglected WR and OL for 4 years and gotten no return on a billion draft picks spent on DL. 

thats why Bean may need to go.  Can we trust him to draft offense?   Can we have someone else run the draft?   

Edited by RyanC883

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t really care.  After some time to digest what happened on Sunday, I think the right plan is to focus on the offense.  As bad as the defense was, we win if we put up 30 points.  The offense was too disjointed a large part of the season and relied on Josh being super-human to score points.  

With our defense on Sunday, if we score more then they score more too. They were chewing up clock on long drives in the second half.  They could easily have scored 31+ if need be.

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

What would you think of Brian Flores as your DC?

ZERO interest here.

Edited by reddogblitz

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This would be an interesting take if it were true.

The Eagles are an extremely multiple base front. They run a lot of 3-3-5 base front, 4-2-5, and 3-4-4. They adapt the front based on the team they’re facing.

We run a base 4-3 Nickel and change around things post-snap. That’s how we are “multiple” and it works against bad QBs because they have no keys to read pre-snap. This doesn’t work against great QBs because they read our keys live and know EXACTLY what base to prepare for ahead of the matchup.

So… you might not be part of the “fire everyone crowd” … but you should open your eyes or at least try to find a recent time when the Bills have shut down an elite offense. You’ll find your answer there and it’s not just the trenches.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2022/10/24/23420170/state-eagles-defense-numbers-philadelphia-jonathan-gannon-nfl-football-scheme

The Eagles is, at heart, the same scheme. @HoofHearted is correct. They have used a lot of bear front type stuff against run heavy teams. That is an adjustment we have seen the Bills make in the past although certainly not with the frequency of Philly this year. 

The difference is opponents. Because the Eagles have played a schedule of run heavy teams. When you play teams who are pass first you are going to need to play more nickel and dime in the back end. 

I like Jonathan Gannon a lot. One of the really good young coaches in the league and if I was an owner looking for a Head Coach he would 100% be on my interview list. I have actually called him a young Sean McDermott previously. He has done a very good job there and it is fair to say he is more creative and multiple in his calling than Leslie... but it is fundamentally the same scheme. 

EDIT: oh and the answer to your question is week 6 at Arrowhead. In fact we did it multiple times early this year. Week 1 against a fully healthy Rams offense is another. You might not like the reasoning @HoofHearted has given but he is correct. The Bills defense succeeds with complexity on the backend and with the injuries to Hyde and Poyer, Tre not being back to himself, two rookies and various other fill ins playing back there this year they had to dial that back and it hurt them.

Edited by GunnerBill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.