Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

jethro_tull

Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is that also not on McDermott? You don't think he has a say in who they bring in and who they let go? 

I think it's partially on McDermott...I think the personnel shortcomings is more on Beane than McDermott though.  I am frustrated with both of them right now but I also know how much worse it could be at the same time.  I'm feeling very torn/nervous about whether we should blow this thing up and bring in another regime.  Realistically though I highly doubt the Pegulas are pulling the trigger on that anyways.

• Agree 1

I think a good analogy would be Denver and Elway.   Elway a generational talent at QB, went to multiple superbowls with Reeves.   They made a change after the losses.  However it took Shanahan to get them  to the promised land.   Reeves was a good coach, got Atlanta to the SB, Im sure he was also a nice guy, just not a SB winning coach.   Sean hasn't even made the conference game, let alone gone to multiple superbowls.

34 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

I think a good analogy would be Denver and Elway.   Elway a generational talent at QB, went to multiple superbowls with Reeves.   They made a change after the losses.  However it took Shanahan to get them  to the promised land.   Reeves was a good coach, got Atlanta to the SB, Im sure he was also a nice guy, just not a SB winning coach.   Sean hasn't even made the conference game, let alone gone to multiple superbowls.

He did in 2020.

49 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is that also not on McDermott? You don't think he has a say in who they bring in and who they let go? 

Back when McBeane got hired they interviewed Terry and asked him who is in charge. Terry said both men report to him. When it comes to practices, managing the game and everything that goes with the season McDermott is in charge since he is the HC. Beane can offer his advice/opinion, but McDermott has the final say. But the offseason stuff with the draft, FA, salary cap that is Beane responsibility. McDermott can offer his opinion, but Beane has the final say according to TP.

38 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think it's partially on McDermott...I think the personnel shortcomings is more on Beane than McDermott though.  I am frustrated with both of them right now but I also know how much worse it could be at the same time.  I'm feeling very torn/nervous about whether we should blow this thing up and bring in another regime.  Realistically though I highly doubt the Pegulas are pulling the trigger on that anyways.

The same. And certainly among this field of candidates. I'm not giving up a 1st round pick when the roster has so many holes for a Head Coach with Payton's record of losing to less talented teams in the playoffs. If he was a free agent that is slightly different. He isn't. And I have zero interest in anyone else in this field. 

The guy I might be interested in if he backs it up in 2023 is Ben Johnson the Detroit OC. Thought he was the best young coordinator in football this year. If he backs that up and the Bills disappoint in 2023 then maybe I'd be interested in doing that. It's easy to say McDermott is a good coach, not a great one, and maybe that is true. But that doesn't mean you replace him with a bad one.  

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

How about 2015 Broncos firing Fox who had multiple divisional exits and then Kubiak wins SB that season

Elway at the time said something to the effect of there's something wrong if you can't get your players excited for playoff football

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Agree. Nobody is going anywhere and I'd be shocked if even the coordinators change.

For me I channel my anger more at McDermott than Beane. I think McD is the guy that overvalues special teams, decides to keep 10 DL, and gets Beane to draft a smurf LB in the 3rd round. I have no proof of any of what I just said, other than just my sense of who has the real power there. 

Hopefully this playoff failure will allow Beane more sway on the roster and coaching makeup but somehow I doubt that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know. I started to wonder last year and this year I have larger doubts. He's a great human being I think. High character, honest, with loyalty and integrity. However, during the game I said some derogatory comments on the particular subject. My wife responded, that especially since the Damar situation she sees him as a great human being . I responded, my Mother is a wonderful human being, that doesn't mean I want her trying to make a defensive stop for the Bills.😀

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

The defense this year had massive injury problems, massive. And still were really good. The same defense with a healthy Tre, DaQuan and Von puts up a whole different kind of result, IMO.

Do they need more of a pass rush, particularly with Von out? Yeah. They do. For the rest, when they're of average healthiness they are very good.

And can we please acknowledge that every team in the world has bad games sometimes. This was one. With the season they've had, and the injuries, it's not surprising.

Every decent QB not named Lamar Jackson lights them up when you invest that heavily in your defense and basically rely on your all world QB to make street free agents and low round picks look good and let’s not talk about the oline. 

Wishful thinking on my part but if Bill decided to retire from the Pats. I would throw a blank check at him if I were Pegula. Won 6 Super Bowls with Brady. He would definitely win one or more with Josh. Back to reality since I know this won't happen.

• Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree. Nobody is going anywhere and I'd be shocked if even the coordinators change.

For me I channel my anger more at McDermott than Beane. I think McD is the guy that overvalues special teams, decides to keep 10 DL, and gets Beane to draft a smurf LB in the 3rd round. I have no proof of any of what I just said, other than just my sense of who has the real power there. 

Hopefully this playoff failure will allow Beane more sway on the roster and coaching makeup but somehow I doubt that. 

I was actually expecting the coordinators to change but after Beane's presser yesterday now I'm not so sure of that.  It sucks I just feel like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  This team is good so your not going to completely blow it up but they aren't in a place with the salary cap and their draft status to add the big pieces this offseason to take this team up a level.  It's tough because some of Beane's draft whiffs have caught up to us now.  

Well before he got here we had a big fat nothing as far as play offs go & since he's been here the Bills have 3 AFC east CHAMPIONSHIPS so if your counting those which i guess because the fan base has become board with that i guess they don't count .

The past has shown us that changing coaches every 2 or 3 seasons isn't a good recipe for success & if you look at the likes of the Steelers, the Pats, the Chiefs & before the Saints coach left stability at HC & in the coaching ranks is the way to go & you also need a bit of luck .

I voted yes because McD i feel has what it takes & in some ways is still learning all of the different things that come up while being a HC how long was Andy Reid in Philly among other places before he got to learn what he knows as a HC to be where he is now ? 

I don't know how long it may take but we've already heard the fans here that have said fire the guy which is par for Bills fans and although it sucks to be where we are right now i would rather have this than what we had before McD getting here . It's only a matter of time before the puzzle pieces are in the right place .

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

The defense this year had massive injury problems, massive. And still were really good. The same defense with a healthy Tre, DaQuan and Von puts up a whole different kind of result, IMO.

Do they need more of a pass rush, particularly with Von out? Yeah. They do. For the rest, when they're of average healthiness they are very good.

And can we please acknowledge that every team in the world has bad games sometimes. This was one. With the season they've had, and the injuries, it's not surprising.

I don’t think Von would’ve made a difference unless he helped McD & Frazier change the philosophy on defense which i highly doubt he would’ve. Burrow got the ball out within 2 secs and knew exactly where to attack the soft spots in our defense as u can tell the players weren’t being covered in man to man there Wrs and TEs were wide open nobody around them . They were just going to the soft spots and Burrow was eating us up. Now Daquan he would’ve made a difference in stopping the run I truly believe that so his loss what felt but not so much Von. Btw the Bengals had plenty of injuries and they adapted. At the end of the day this was a coaching mismatch to the highest of levels. 

• Agree 1

The way he coaches, the players will give maximum effort and that’s the good news. The bad news is his game day decision making is questionable and his grasp of maximizing offensive personnel performance is solely dependent on a good OC. From the Dabol leadership to Dorsey’s 1st year, we took a step back and it resulted in a early exit. With Dabol I would’ve said a championship was probable. Dorsey hasn’t established a system, with this roster that features a consistent  running attack (other than Josh) or a dynamic number 2 receiver or TE reliably involved in the attack. The screen game has been nonexistent and rbs are not used in the downfield passing attack. The league caught up with our offense and unless there’s multidimensional improvements, there’s zero chance for a championship.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.