Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

He seemed tired.  The whole team seems tired.

Bengals brough their A game, and the Bills had their D game.  It happens.  It is just unfortunate it happened in the last game of the season, no time to bounce back this year. 

Whole organization is resilient. They will be back and they will be competitive, it is in their nature.  Time to take a break, but I am confident things will be fine.  Perhaps with reduced expectations, they will do better. With Josh Allen, they will always be good.

Following sports is a frustrating thing.  Everyone ends up unhappy except one team and its fans.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Scott7975 said:

TBF it got us Von Miller.  Just because disaster happened and he went down for the season with an ACL doesnt mean it didnt get us Von Miller.  It may look bad now but at the time it was a good signing and it still can be good next year.

At the time I was flamed for saying the Miller signing was bad. It was a very expensive fix to a very expensive problem we created. 

I am glad he is here, but it was just as bad of an allocation of resources 300 days ago as it is today just based on how terrible our draft picks and roster allocation has played. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

At the time I was flamed for saying the Miller signing was bad. It was a very expensive fix to a very expensive problem we created. 

I am glad he is here, but it was just as bad of an allocation of resources 300 days ago as it is today just based on how terrible our draft picks and roster allocation has played. 

Expensive yes.  Its because they couldnt find one in the draft.  Still need to be able to rush the passer.  Something they were doing with him and were doing way worse without him. So it did fix the problem they had and it was one of the problems of last season. 

I will say that just Von wouldnt have made much difference last game.  Might have slowed them down a little bit but still have to score points and we couldnt do that.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I know many fans are still upset about the loss to the Bengals, but we’re you really surprised by Beane’s press conference? The reality is the Bills are a top tier team in the AFC and NFL. You don’t go blowing that up. Yes, the expectation is Dorsey will continue to grow and be a better OC in year 2 than year one. It’s obvious they know the interior of the OL needs address and I fully expect them to do that. They also know they need some speed and more talent at WR. 

Defensively, having a fully healthy Tre back coupled with Elam in his second year they are solid at CB. Hyde will return at Safety and I do expect them to lock up Edmunds.  A healthy Von Miller, Ed O, Jordan P, Groot and Daquan Jones is solid. We have enough pieces of D to be a solid top 10 D.

Add some new pieces from the draft, get some solid FA’s, restructure a few contracts and do you really believe the Bills won’t be in the thick of it next year? Some of you are acting like the gap is huge.

The Bills need to stay healthy, add weapons for Josh, improve the OL, reduce the maddening self inflicted mistakes, see growth and evolution from Dorsey and I love our chances.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Listen buddy. It takes some of us until March, April, even July to get here. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Bills were in the same position in 2018, but they chose to get Ed Oliver and not a dynamic playmaker on offense.

I kept saying we did not need to take an undersized DT in Oliver that year.  Like 98% of this board would freak out and was demanding we take Oliver.  Almost everyone here wanted Oliver.  

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

They wont be wating until next week to say that he is going.... If he was going then I thought an announcement to that effect would have been already made.. 

I actually think they would do this in a seperate presser or release a statement.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

This part really bothered me when Beane said it.

He was basically asked what he can take from the Bengals' build, and rather than state any one of the many obvious things that make the Bengals a good team -- strong up front on both sides of the ball, great wide receiver play, depth, etc -- he chose just about the worst possible answer.

To say that they "were lucky enough" to be "bad enough to get Ja'Marr Chase", he is essentially ducking accountability for still needing to be able to find difference makers later in round one and beyond. Lots of great NFL players -- receivers, especially -- are taken in late round one and beyond. For him to point to the "luck" of drafting high is to dodge the responsibility that he and his staff bare to find good players REGARDLESS of where in the draft they pick.

Yes, later in the interview he said that he and his staff need to hit on draft picks, but he's said that before. That's obvious. Those are just words. The "we don't pick early like the Bengals used to, so we're not getting a guy like that" and the insinuation of luck and high draft position as reasons for success were a bad look.

Yeah, take a look at cin's last 4 drafts compared with Beane's. The Bengals have made a lot of good selections especially in the first 3 rounds. Beane has a lot of misses in these prime rounds.

Bengals have just done a better job of building through draft and free agency.

32 minutes ago, todd said:

No GM is going to throw anyone under the bus at a press conference. I think inside the walls they know they have a ton of stuff to shore up. McDermott suggested that in his presser. 

people here are pissed he’s not screaming and stomping his feet in a press conference. Nor is he going to go into details on plans for improvement. Last year he said there probably would t be big fa signings. Then they signed Bon.

Normally, I think Beane's press conferences are more grounded and reassuring than McDermott's, the latter clearly hating having to do them. Saying that, I thought the latter was far more honest, open and willing to acknowledge issues yesterday than Beane today.

In my eyes, Beane unequivocally:

(1) Supports Dorsey and is bringing him back. No doubt.

(2) Made a clear distinction with how he views a player like Singletary versus a player like Oliver; watch his very different responses to nearly the same question on each player.....super telling. <HINT- WATCH and listen to his response>

(3) Appears to be feeling the heat from Terry Pegula - to me Beane, for the first time, appeared uncomfortable and at a loss for something savvy to say more often than not.

(4) Tried to explain away, too often, the reasons for player underdevelopment, instead of owning it and acknowledging coaching needs to be better.

(5) Failed miserably in his attempt to explain away why Cinncinnati was able to build a roster versus what he has been doing.

(6) Likely knows next year will be a huge disappointment for the fan base.  I hope I am wrong, but the vibe I got was not encouraging.  Not one of his better press conferences, understandably so.

Truth be told he should be feeling a little heat, while he has made super smart decisions, he also has a few major misses that have led us to the point we are at right now. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t know what everyone is expecting him to say? We all wanted him to push his chips and go all-in. 

He did that, his second ace fell off the table (Von) and we lost the hand. 

All he can say is we have to lie in the bed we made. We have Josh, Von comes back, we’re going to lose a few guys but we have our draft picks and we should still be able to make a few deals, though not blockbusters. 

That’s where we are. It’s not like everyone didn’t know this would be the issue if we didn’t win it all. I mean, unless you’re a n00b, you saw the writing on the wall. 

It’s certainly not the most enviable position, but it’s far from the worst. We have a franchise qb, and some good pieces. 

He’s 100% right. With Josh we’ll never be a bottomed out, draft top five team. We’ll have to be creative. Which Beane is, so, yeah, that’s where we are. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Check-the-box presser. There's an evaluation process still occurring and any staff changes would be announced in a separate statement later on. (Obviously, Beane/McDermott aren't going anywhere.) As far as player personnel, Beane is going to be non-committal just two days after the season ended. This presser was for tactful platitudes.

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Sounds a lot to me like he's definitely trying to lessen expectations going into next season.  I'm really hoping it's just a matter of him trying to play his cards close to his chest, but it certainly wasn't inspiring a lot of hope or optimism that they have the ability or the willingness to fix the problems this team has right now.

They dont have the ability to, outside of cheap as hell people that probably arent much better.  There is no cap space.  We are 15 mil over the cap already and have to sign 24 people just to have a full roster.  I know people dont think the cap exists but it does.  The only hope is that they draft well and that it happens to be oline.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Process said:

When the bills lost to the chiefs last year we all felt like we were the best team in the league, and should have won the Superbowl if not for an epic coaching blunder.

Beane nailed the year end press conference and addressed some very specific areas where the team needed to improve.

Everything about the way this season ended is the complete opposite.

It sounds like Beanes plan is to run it back and hope we get in a groove at the right time.

This is because he mismanaged the draft and cap and we are stuck

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I mean, what's he supposed to say? People are reading too much into this. He's not going to throw anyone under the bus. It's so not his way.

He's not gonna give away the classified details...because their off-season review just begun.

He's doing a lot in these PC's...sending subtle messages to players/agents, trying to assuage the fans, show disappointment without begin negative.  It's theater in a way.  

But there is serious concern as evidenced upthread that the Cincinnati loss wasn't just a 1 game issue and saying an injury or two was the culprit is absurd.    

McBeane have responded to the last 2 off-season with a run it back approach.  Yet, their last 3 of the last 4 departures from the playoffs were real head-scratchers.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

They dont have the ability to outside cheap as hell people that probably arent much better.  There is no cap space.  We are 15 mil over the cap already and have to sign 24 people just to have a full roster.  I know people dont think the cap exists but it does.  The only hope is that they draft well and that it happens to be oline.

If you even hear Goodell's mouth start to say, "WIth the 27th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select..."

Defensive,...

Linebacker,...

Cornerback,...

Safety,....

This place is going to spontaneously combust.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think his point was that with Burrow being hurt early in his career they had the advantage of having a franchise QB and still drafting high.  Feels like the Bills have been too good in Josh's tenure to be in the same position.   Not completely true, Bills were in the same position in 2018, but they chose to get Ed Oliver and not a dynamic playmaker on offense.

Hearing a lot of excuses and not much vision.  A lot of looking back instead of looking forward.

I don’t remember which playmakers were available in that draft. Do you, or anyone off the top of their head? 
i just recall a need to beef up the defense, or at least that was the rally cry and Big Ed was a huge prospect. 

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Hopefully Spencer Brown works in the offseason to put some weight especially in the lower half. Looks more like a TE than offensive lineman out there. Beane has to bring in some competition to push him in the offseason.

I have no problem with his comments on S. Brown. If i remember, he also only played 7 on 7 football in high school. He's an athletic freak who has near zero experience, and is just learning how to play RT.

But I agree with you 💯. We need someone to push him besides just Kromer and Doyle.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.