How many chances will McDermott get?

Awwufelloff

42 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

AF46E864-071E-4B0F-8AF3-E78A5288883A.jpeg

Are you sure you want to pick a new HC, our last 4 before McDermott were Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey and Dick Jauron. Are you positive this is what you want? Who other than Sean Payton would you like as HC here? Payton doesn't make sense for us, giving up a 1st or multiple 1sts for a HC when we need OL to protect Josh Allen doesn't make much sense imo so who else would be your choice.

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

McD is going nowhere this year, next year, the year after that, or any time in the near future. Don’t you know a man of faith and leadership is all you need to win a SB. 

The second he talked early in his career of faith, family and football I knew we would have lots of good guys and no Super Bowls under his tenure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

56 minutes ago, papazoid said:

at least another full season for HC

the OC & DC will likely both change out ....either promoted or fired

Would love to see a double coordinator change, I don't think either will go.

I hope I'm wrong.

As I've been saying for 2 years now, the day WILL COME when Pegula has to decide if McDermott is good enough.

Either he's here forever already, or he has to prove he can get it done.

The decision will NOT come this year; maybe next year.  If no SB appearance next year, the heat will build.

Edited by Nextmanup

He will get way too many changes in the name of "continunity."  Continunity of what, exactly, should be the question.  This quote from Allen says it all.  They were unprepared and out coached: 

Josh Allen said. “Our goal is to win a Super Bowl or World Championship and we didn't accomplish that. So everything that happened in the season is kind of null and void in our minds and it sucks. That's the way it goes sometimes. They had a good game plan, credit to those guys, they came out and played hard. We just didn't have it today.”

This was after yesterday's game, but could be a quote from any of those horrid McD playoff losses.  We ever beat an equal or favored team in the playoffs?  Nope.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As long as he keeps getting the Bills into the playoffs. Apparently many of you forgot about the drought.

this is THE MOST ridiculous take, and I'm just sick of it.  First, any coach in the NFL could get this team to the playoffs.  Did we have Allen and Diggs during the drought, NOPE.  Second, the goal is to win the SB, not just make the postseason and lose in the divisional round or AFC Championship to an equal or superior team.   With the talent on this team at QB, you need a head coach and GM that can put a winner around him.  McD and even Bean have proven that they cannot do it.   Also, as another poster noted, we regressed from last year.  There is no improvement, and Bean is putting us into cap issues and has failed to draft adequate impact players on rookie contracts.  Total failure all around.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

As long as he keeps getting the Bills into the playoffs. Apparently many of you forgot about the drought.

I have not forgotten about the drought. I am old. I remember when OJ Simpson was used as a decoy. Here's the bottom line: you play to win the SB. The point of reaching the playoffs is to win in them. Making them to lose, often in embarrasing fashion is just an exercise in masochism. We are wasting the early prime years of a HOF level qb. Now Josh has to watch Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts, and a rookie last pick in the draft compete for a championship. You establish long-term legacy by what you do in the playoffs. If there's any self-awareness, Terry Pegula makes changes now, not waiting for another year of regular season success and post-season failure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

this is THE MOST ridiculous take, and I'm just sick of it.  First, any coach in the NFL could get this team to the playoffs.  Did we have Allen and Diggs during the drought, NOPE.  (2) the goal is to win the SB, not just make the postseason and lose in the divisional round or AFC Championship to an equal or superior team.  

LOL!!!!  Any coach??? Dick "Skelator" Jauron? Mike "Meathead" Mularkey? Greggo Williams?? Chan Friggin' Gailey?? Were you in a coma during the drought?

Oh woe is us! We have a franchise QB but can't win the big one! Get a grip and suck it up. You're not going to fire your way to a title. How many house cleanings did we endure for 17 years? Here's a little perspective for you. We've been to the playoffs 5 times in 6 seasons.  We have 4 10+ win season in a row. Three straight AFC East titles. Do we step on our own d***s in the playoffs? Yes, but you don't blow up a good team out of spite. Make changes but don't get crazy.

By the way, the last time we had a 10+ win season before this run was 1999. Yesterday sucked but it was a lot worse for a very vey long time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I have not forgotten about the drought. I am old. I remember when OJ Simpson was used as a decoy. Here's the bottom line: you play to win the SB. The point of reaching the playoffs is to win in them. Making them to lose, often in embarrasing fashion is just an exercise in masochism. We are wasting the early prime years of a HOF level qb. Now Josh has to watch Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts, and a rookie last pick in the draft compete for a championship. You establish long-term legacy by what you do in the playoffs. If there's any self-awareness, Terry Pegula makes changes now, not waiting for another year of regular season success and post-season failure.

Just qualifying for the playoffs should not protect a HC's job.  It wasn't even that difficult to make the postseason this year.  If you're getting bounced in the earlier rounds after getting to the AFCCG, you're regressing, not progressing.  And yesterday's loss was simply embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

The same questions were said about Andy Reid before he got over the hump. 

I know everyone is upset but in my opinion that would be a mistake at this moment. He still has a lot of leeway from me but some changes do need to be made.  

Agree with your point in general, but McDermott has not shown to be anywhere near as creative or prepared as Reid. Obviously I don’t mean head to head, but over the course of the season and with in game decisions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.