Play Clock Solution / Delay of Game

Warriorspikes51

OK, maybe I'm obsessed.

I went back and rewatched the game so the rest of you wouldn't have to.  I counted SIX plays when the play clock said "0" before Miami snapped the ball.  Several of those times the snap came after the 0 was on the clock for a full second.

If I was really, really super-obsessed I'd have taken screen shots of each one of them but you'll have to trust me on this (or rewatch it for yourself).

I thought I was imagining things during the game but apparently this was a thing, and it didn't include the times that Miami had to call timeout to avoid a delay (twice I think) and the one time that they actually were flagged for delay (on the 4th and 1 play).

The NFL needs to get this right.  I have a vague recollection from a couple of seasons ago of Lamar Jackson taking a snap well after the play clock ran down and won a playoff game because of it.

• Agree 4

Yeah the thought that they can't call the delay until it had been 00 (apparently literally the time for the guy to TURN HIS HEAD from the clock to the play) for a full second still makes it hard for me to believe there is a ref so fast and reactive he DOES KNOW that a coaches time out WAS in time. Doesn't that guy still have to....check the play? AND check the clock too?

The NFL just doesn't want to call it. I'll never forget our Colts playoff game fro a couple years ago. Rivers went to double 0 so many times, was driving me nuts.

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Agree 1

The whole "it takes a second to go from the clock to ball" explanation they try to give is ridiculous.  It is essentially instantaneous for your eyes to make that movement.  It is the stupidest thing in the league 

When the shot clock goes off in basketball they don't say "Oh we give an extra second"

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The excuse the league uses - that the ref looks at the play clock when it hits zero and then looks at the ball - is complete bull####.  The clock is situated so the quarterback can see it.  It’s not hard to situate an official where he can see both the clock and the snap. Especially if the clock uses a red border like in basketball.

Also, when the clock hits zero, it doesn’t mean there’s one more invisible second.   If that were the case, they would wait one second to blow the whistle at the 2 minute warning or the end of the half. 

It’s also a nonreviewable call.  Entirely subject to the officials’ judgment.  And the league to my knowledge has never demonstrated any interest in getting this right. 

5 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Should be like the NBA where a buzzer goes off and lights come on

I was about to say the same exact thing. Make 00 audible so the Ref doesn’t even have to look. This is the NFL. In the old days they didn’t get this extra time and the Refs handled it just fine. 

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

Should be like the NBA where a buzzer goes off and lights come on

I tell ya, temporary eye destabilizing laser flashes a split second after the clock hits 0 puts an end to this late snap tomfoolery.

giphy.gif

Edited by I am the egg man

It’s just another tool the refs use to subtlety manipulate games. I don’t think there’s a pre-determined agenda but if there is an opportunity to keep games close the refs will take it. Doesn’t matter the team, and if one team is absolutely boat racing another there’s nothing they can do. But just watch games that you have no rooting interest in and you can see it happen. One team starts to pull away, all of a sudden they are getting holding penalties or their defense is getting PI’s. It’s the judgement calls they use to keep so the viewers keep watching and the ratings stay high.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.