Play Clock Solution / Delay of Game

Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

OK, maybe I'm obsessed.

I went back and rewatched the game so the rest of you wouldn't have to.  I counted SIX plays when the play clock said "0" before Miami snapped the ball.  Several of those times the snap came after the 0 was on the clock for a full second.

If I was really, really super-obsessed I'd have taken screen shots of each one of them but you'll have to trust me on this (or rewatch it for yourself).

I thought I was imagining things during the game but apparently this was a thing, and it didn't include the times that Miami had to call timeout to avoid a delay (twice I think) and the one time that they actually were flagged for delay (on the 4th and 1 play).

The NFL needs to get this right.  I have a vague recollection from a couple of seasons ago of Lamar Jackson taking a snap well after the play clock ran down and won a playoff game because of it.

Nfl is rigged and Miami comeback scripted 

It's the playoffs, the refs let things go.

Besides the delay of game penalties they chose to ignore, they also ignored pass interference for the most part in all the games as well (Beasley was wrapped up by the defender on the 2nd INT). I also saw a number of plays where one of the Tackles would clearly be moving backwards to pass block before the ball was snapped.

Hopefully the Bills realize that flags won't fly like they do in the regular season and play accordingly, the Chiefs realize this and I'm sure the Bengals do too.

Seriously, do you get a ticket every time you exceed the speed limit by 1 MPH? No. The cops give you a little leeway. If you drive 55 in a school zone that's flagrant and you're going down.

Same thing applies here. They're not going to let you get away with like 3 seconds, but 1 is okay.

2 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Seriously, do you get a ticket every time you exceed the speed limit by 1 MPH? No. The cops give you a little leeway. If you drive 55 in a school zone that's flagrant and you're going down.

Same thing applies here. They're not going to let you get away with like 3 seconds, but 1 is okay.

You ever driven down to Florida and the notorious speed traps where they happily pull you over for 3mph over the speed limit?

It's a simple rule and easily enforced.  Just do it (and watch how quick teams adapt).  

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You ever driven down to Florida and the notorious speed traps where they happily pull you over for 3mph over the speed limit?

It's a simple rule and easily enforced.  Just do it (and watch how quick teams adapt).  

I have. Many times. When they start giving teams 3 seconds, get back to me.

35 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Never goes well when you put more judgment calls in human refs’ hands. I like the shot clock idea. It’s fair. 

Side note I traveled to New Zealand and was told that is how the speed limit works there. No leeway. Almost like it’s a law. 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Okay enough is ENOUGH.  How many times yesterday was the clock at 0 and then the ball was snapped or a crazy timeout was called.

These half second - second + judgment calls by the field officials need to be REMOVED FROM THE GAME.

Solution:  Play Clock hits 0 = automatic Buzzer in the stadium.  The NBA does this for their shot clock.

It should also create more urgency for offenses to make sure they get the snap off. 

Oh come on now, you expect a multi BILLION dollar corporation to be able to install technology like the NBA uses??? And I suppose you also think there is a better way to measure ten yards than two sticks connected by a chain?? C'MON MAN!!!

55 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s just another tool the refs use to subtlety manipulate games. I don’t think there’s a pre-determined agenda but if there is an opportunity to keep games close the refs will take it. Doesn’t matter the team, and if one team is absolutely boat racing another there’s nothing they can do. But just watch games that you have no rooting interest in and you can see it happen. One team starts to pull away, all of a sudden they are getting holding penalties or their defense is getting PI’s. It’s the judgement calls they use to keep so the viewers keep watching and the ratings stay high.

it's more nefarious than this.

if you're going to truly profit your sports book sponsors, you need a mix.

you can't have EVERY game close - too suspicious.

you can't allow certain teams to be spreadproof - the house loses if it's too predictable.

i don't think the nfl is that interested in ensuring results. but i do think they have a plan that serves the purposes of those who are footing the bill.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:48 AM, boater said:

As long as they don't use the GD train horn was the "buzzer"

A problem I foresee: the crowd noise on the visitors third down would drown out any acceptable buzzer.

You guys are on to something with the buzzer. It gets synced to the play clock and the ref in charge is holding it in his hand with his whistle already in his mouth. When it vibrates violently ( giggity) he blows the whistle immediately. Think it would at least help.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, stevestojan said:

The fact that it’s 2023 and we’re still using the “ref stares at clock then down to the ball” is insane.

I mean I’ve been asking for a chip in the ball (which there already is one for punts) to prove line to gain, and I understand you still need to see where his knee was, but if you remove the variable of where the ball is you only need to focus on his knee. For example, replay of a QB sneak, the screen indicates exactly when the ball passed the line to gain, so the video pauses so the ref can search for a kneecap touching ground. But I digress…

The problem you outline is levels of magnitude easier to solve for, yet here we are, with 70 year old men staring at a clock then shifting their view to the ball. Awful. 

Almost like the NFL wants all this stuff left to judgement and human error for a reason...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.