Chris Brown Play-By-Play

jimmynunn

1 hour ago, jimmynunn said:

First, I truly hope the best for John Murphy's health. He seems like a nice man, I'm sure his heart is in the right place, and get well Murph.

But in my opinion, he deserves to be Wally Pipped. I've listened to the game broadcasts the last 2 weeks, and the improvement is significant. Chris Brown brings more enthusiasm, is nowhere near as bland, and his voice conveys the excitment of a big play without cracking. He also seems way more accurtate in his down and distance calls. Too often, Murph will say something like"Singletary off tackle, picks up 7...........and it's 2nd and 8 for the Bills."

I'd be interested in the opinions of others who have listened to our radio play-by-play.

Agreed...I've never been a big fan of Murph's play-by-play...And Brown is pretty clearly better...B-)

• Agree 1

CB is quick-witted (although once in a while sometimes a little "dad jokey"), knows the players and the schemes and concepts the team uses in high detail, knows the NFL rules at a very high level and has a lot of passion for the game. I really like him in that spot.

Wishing Murph to have a full recovery. His successor is here I think though.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

lol i totally disagree.  I think he’s absolutely terrible.  Just yells and says stupid sayings after a big play.  There’s a reason he’s just a fill in

“Someone grab a fire extinguisher! Because Dawson Knox is as hot as a firecracker!”

I’m with you on this… Brown isn’t my favorite either. Even on OBL with Tasker he gets worked up and drops weird sayings. He and Murph both seem like nice guys, but I’m not sure either does a great job.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

“Someone grab a fire extinguisher! Because Dawson Knox is as hot as a firecracker!”

I’m with you on this… Brown isn’t my favorite either. Even on OBL with Tasker he gets worked up and drops weird sayings. He and Murph both seem like nice guys, but I’m not sure either does a great job.

Reminds me a little bit of some of the stuff Dan Dunleavy says during Sabres games...."DC is marvelous" after a Dylan Cozens goal.  Just seems a little forced and cringey...which is also funny to me because RJ always had a lot of sayings and phrases but with him it never felt forced and always seemed organic.  I think it's just one of those things where some guys are naturals for the role and a lot of people are not but they try their best.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, jimmynunn said:

First, I truly hope the best for John Murphy's health. He seems like a nice man, I'm sure his heart is in the right place, and get well Murph.

But in my opinion, he deserves to be Wally Pipped. I've listened to the game broadcasts the last 2 weeks, and the improvement is significant. Chris Brown brings more enthusiasm, is nowhere near as bland, and his voice conveys the excitment of a big play without cracking. He also seems way more accurtate in his down and distance calls. Too often, Murph will say something like"Singletary off tackle, picks up 7...........and it's 2nd and 8 for the Bills."

I'd be interested in the opinions of others who have listened to our radio play-by-play.

I felt the same. Brown paints a much more vivid picture for a radio listener who can not see the action. Better at mentioning down and distance, packages, alignments and yards gained. He was rather impressive.

'Quick pass to Shakir' versus 'He's got a man down there'

'Quick pass to Shakir' tells me who it was, a bit about the action , and quick pass is usually 15 yards or less

'He's got a man down there' down where? Who is it? Where is the ball?

Murph and Van Miller were part of me growing up and developing my love for the Bills.

I also wish him a speedy and full recovery, but Chris Brown has done terrific service in his absence and it was better IMO.

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

lol i totally disagree.  I think he’s absolutely terrible.  Just yells and says stupid sayings after a big play.  There’s a reason he’s just a fill in

I really like Chris...but man, I kind of lean this way.  I don't think he is terrible, but his "sayings" are so forced and cringeworthy and he is a bit shouty.

I was honestly half expecting, "AND THE DOLPHINS MAY HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE IN A PREVENT DEFENSE, BUT THAT DIDN'T PREVENT DIGGS FROM HALLING IN THE LONG BALL DOWN THE SIDELINE!", or something equally goofy.

He'll get better, though.

I agree with the original poster here. I think Brown is much better than Murphy. I like Murphy for interviews on WGR but he has no energy or enthusiasm which I like in  a play by play guy. And, I also have noticed how often Murphy gets the down and distance wrong. I wish Murphy well but I look forward to whomever replaces him.  LAst year, for the Tampa game, Murphy made many incorrect comments about the game which I heard Woods correct sometimes immediately right after Murphy made the statement on air. At the time, I thought Murph was "losing it". I certainly hope John recovers but I will not miss him on the air for calling Bills games whatsoever.  My 2 cents.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I heard some of his highlights from last week.  I want excitement level for big plays.   I don’t want yelling and screaming.  

Murph is a tough listen at this point in his career, but Brown is like listening to some kids calling the a Brighton High School game--all excited with voices cracking and canned lines.

he's rough during the daily One Bills Drive broadcast.   

41 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Reminds me a little bit of some of the stuff Dan Dunleavy says during Sabres games...."DC is marvelous" after a Dylan Cozens goal.  Just seems a little forced and cringey...which is also funny to me because RJ always had a lot of sayings and phrases but with him it never felt forced and always seemed organic.  I think it's just one of those things where some guys are naturals for the role and a lot of people are not but they try their best.  

After yesterday's game I have been hearing this highlight where he said "He's hot as a firecracker!"

His voice cracks in the middle of it.  It sounds utterly ridiculous and like something a kid was doing.

He is still massively better than Murphy, who is HORRIFIC.

Murphy should be replaced but Buffalo being Buffalo, he probably won't be.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.