We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Gabe Davis has value.  Just not as a #2.  He's a good mismatch against a #3 corner.

Gabe's tied at 15th this year in TD receptions with Tyreek Hill, Tee Higgins and Devonta Smith. 

He's around 30th yards, in the Cortland Sutton, Mark Andrews neck of the woods...

What metrics are you using to determining what constitutes a good #2? 

I think he needs to catch 10-15% more of his passes, which amounts to about 1 more catch per game to have a respectable catch %.

He was targeted 83 times this year. How many targets should a #2 have? 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cam Taylor-Britt or Eli Apple. 

Gabe has to win that matchup. 

The Bills are going to move Diggs all over the formation. 

Diggs has to be present for 4-quarters. 

I think it was Sal or Jeremy talking about Diggs and this game.  He said that Cincy's defense is hard to go deep on because their safeties.

But they're vulnerable at corner...which is why you saw Diggs lining up in the slot early against them a few weeks ago.  

They expect to see a lot of Diggs in the slot in this game.  

I think we could see a similar game plan as the Rams game where it was get the ball out quick.  Let let the secondary starting cheating up and then go over the top.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I've watched every game that both teams have played this year. I don't know how you could come to this conclusion by watching both teams play or by looking at the stats. Yes, the Bengals are playing "cleaner" but they also are playing risk-free football. That's how you get 234 total yards in a playoff game, needing a 99 yard fumble return for a TD. They also beat the Bucs with 237 total yards of offense, requiring turnovers on FOUR STRAIGHT POSSESSIONS

And a muffed punt fake (how the hell do you screw up a punt fake?) to make it 5 straight TO's in TB territory.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We ask if the Bills DL can finally make a jump every week.. and they’re always meh. 

I guess we’ll ask again.  I’m rapidly losing patience with everyone on this DL not named Rousseau or Daquan.  It’s time they step up.  

I do 100% agree with you about crowding the line.  Delayed blitzes aren’t likely to be effective when he gets rid of it quicker than almost anyone.  If we send Milano and/or Edmunds, I would hope it comes off looks that have them at the LOS with the ability to rush or drop .. along with incorporating rushes where they rush but a DL drops. 

On Monday, as soon as Tre White jogged over to Chase, and you didn't see a safety in the picture, everyone knew that's where Burrow was going. 

Can the Bills keep Ja'Marr where the Ravens and Patriots kept him? 8-9 catches, 80-90 yards. He can not have the nuclear game. 

My worry is really Frazier and McDermott, just trying to play a straight up game. Belichick or other D Coordinators would do something like a true double team all game. 

But we've seen this before against Kansas City, where the Bills can't figure out anything against Travis Kelce, and he just rips them apart all game. Even late, we aren't bumping at the line, he's allowed free releases. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Gabe's tied at 15th this year in TD receptions with Tyreek Hill, Tee Higgins and Devonta Smith. 

He's around 30th yards, in the Cortland Sutton, Mark Andrews neck of the woods...

What metrics are you using to determining what constitutes a good #2? 

I think he needs to catch 10-15% more of his passes, which amounts to about 1 more catch per game to have a respectable catch %.

He was targeted 83 times this year. How many targets should a #2 have? 

His consistency and his contested catch ability.  If someone is going to have the 2nd most targets in a passing offense, I think he needs to be someone that is more reliable with production.  He seems boom or bust.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I don’t know if I can think of anything I’d like less than ice cream when it’s 30 degrees outside.  I’d be glad to slash that truck’s tires, though.

Trust me when I say that this is the best ice cream I've ever had.  The black raspberry is to die for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And a muffed punt fake (how the hell do you screw up a punt fake?) to make it 5 straight TO's in TB territory.

It was Gio Bernard who "wasn't ready"...I think he was just doing a solid for the team that drafted him 😂

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His consistency and his contested catch ability.  If someone is going to have the 2nd most targets in a passing offense, I think he needs to be someone that is more reliable with production.  He seems boom or bust.

He's good against man because he can run go routes. 

Cincinnati is going to try and funnel him to the middle of the defense. 

Sidelines Gabe is going to have to make those kind of catches, utilize his comeback route. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

EXCEPT HYDE. 

12 days into his window he's not available. 

But IF the Bills win, they would have to activate before KC. 

This is where all our fans say 7-days makes a huge difference, but man could we use him this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I bet Cincy at 4.5 early in the week thinking for sure the line would come down to around 2.5 or even 2. Next morning it was down to 4 so I was feeling good. Then it went back to 4.5, then 5 and now 5.5...

Three different 6-figure bets placed at Caesars is to blame for the latest movement i read

Edited by Nineforty

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

What we are watching on a weekly basis with Allen is simply not normal.  Don't ever take it for granted. Some day you will be telling your Grandkids about this HOF QB we once had in Buffalo that made anything possible.

Except that he sucks at the checkdowns and misses the easy throws because he only looks deep 😏

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it was Sal or Jeremy talking about Diggs and this game.  He said that Cincy's defense is hard to go deep on because their safeties.

But they're vulnerable at corner...which is why you saw Diggs lining up in the slot early against them a few weeks ago.  

They expect to see a lot of Diggs in the slot in this game.  

I think we could see a similar game plan as the Rams game where it was get the ball out quick.  Let let the secondary starting cheating up and then go over the top.

Putting Diggs in the slot is a strange move vs Cinci imo.  Their best cb, but far imo, is Mike Hilton.  He only plays the slot.  

20 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Except that he sucks at the checkdowns and misses the easy throws because he only looks deep 😏

Real question Bills fans - has this been one of Josh's problems forever? 

He goes deep too much? 

Or is this the Patriots and Miami game that we're complaining about?

After Pittsburgh, has Allen "only" looked deep? 

To me, this season was a lot like 2021, there was a lull in the middle, BUT the Bills did much better in one score games. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Putting Diggs in the slot is a strange move vs Cinci imo.  Their best cb, but far imo, is Mike Hilton.  He only plays the slot.  

Hopefully Flowers is out too. 

He's been a DNP two straight days. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

mckenzie could mismatch him, but only by speed. otherwise, knox can beat him with size quite well

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Real question Bills fans - has this been one of Josh's problems forever? 

He goes deep too much? 

Or is this the Patriots and Miami game that we're complaining about?

After Pittsburgh, has Allen "only" looked deep? 

My feeling only - The aggressiveness on O seems to be a game plan against specific opponents. Yes, Allen has a penchant for long throws and is the anti-Trentative in that regard. But in some games, it appears that the O has made up its mind to go deep as often as possible. Towards the end of the Dolphins game, they dialed it back and played conservative to preserve the lead. They went air raid early, which is exactly what I was expecting. 

With a good front 4 on Cincinnati's side and comparatively weak DB (I am looking at you Eli Apple), I expect the same strategy in the first half of the Cincy game.  Expect Brown to see a large percent of downs in the first Q, Diggs on crossing routes and only Beasley in the slot. 

Much will depend on how our DBs hold up against their WRs. If we start winning the early battles, the game should get progressively easier. Lot of nickel on D, pressure from our front 4 only.

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If they are consistent, they would likely be a more of a #1 or 1b. My problem with Gabe is I thought he had a legit chance this year to become our #1 or 1b to Diggs. Diggs another year older, his 2021 year being a down year from 2020. I did not expect Diggs to match and better in some respects, his 2020 season this year. 

If Gabe's peak is just as a #2, then I think we can likely find a cheap #2 in a lot of places. Would not want to spend a lot of money unless he starts producing like a #1.

• Like (+1) 1