We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

57 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And a muffed punt fake (how the hell do you screw up a punt fake?) to make it 5 straight TO's in TB territory.

Also were going to lose to the Patriots if not a fumble at the very end of the game. NE was moving the ball at will.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

mckenzie could mismatch him, but only by speed. otherwise, knox can beat him with size quite well

I wonder if the Bills employ more rotations, both at corner and WR. 

Because with Beasley on the roster now, McKenzie looks to play, and Shakir who showed speed and ability last week. 

I wonder if we see more of the 2010 Bills with 4-wide sets? 

This has trailed off, IMO, because our RT is not good. 

Also, it sure looked like the Bills and Ravens could run on the Bengals, especially with Cook. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Real question Bills fans - has this been one of Josh's problems forever? 

He goes deep too much? 

The Florio stat posted here goes back the last two seasons and shows Allen far and away the leader in 10+ air yards. I'd say Allen has always been this way. He's still got a better than 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio when you average it all out so I don't think it is a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

What we are watching on a weekly basis with Allen is simply not normal.  Don't ever take it for granted. Some day you will be telling your Grandkids about this ERRATIC HOF QB we once had in Buffalo that made anything possible.

There I fixed it for you 🤣

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His consistency and his contested catch ability.  If someone is going to have the 2nd most targets in a passing offense, I think he needs to be someone that is more reliable with production.  He seems boom or bust.

For a wr that has the deepest average targets in the league, he's going to have a lower catch % than short route running receivers. 

And I don't disagree that he needs to be more consistent. I think he needs to catch 10-15 more passes per season based on 100 targets. 

I don't know how difficult of an improvement that is, and how challenging it would be for him to maintain that level of improvement season to season. But I'm not ready to write him off. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Gabe's tied at 15th this year in TD receptions with Tyreek Hill, Tee Higgins and Devonta Smith. 

He's around 30th yards, in the Cortland Sutton, Mark Andrews neck of the woods...

What metrics are you using to determining what constitutes a good #2? 

I think he needs to catch 10-15% more of his passes, which amounts to about 1 more catch per game to have a respectable catch %.

He was targeted 83 times this year. How many targets should a #2 have? 

Gabe's TDs and yardage are fine, his catch % needs to get better.  It's around 56% this year - add 1/2 catch a game it goes to a respectable 65% with yards nearing 1,000

• Like (+1) 2

The Bengals defense seems a little suspect. I'm sure the rankings probably have them better than Miami over the course of the 2022 season but I'm not sure with the players they currently have available now and the way both defenses are playing that the Bengals defense is currently more formidable than the Dolphins. 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The Florio stat posted here goes back the last two seasons and shows Allen far and away the leader in 10+ air yards. I'd say Allen has always been this way. He's still got a better than 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio when you average it all out so I don't think it is a big deal. 

The QB efficiency standard now in the NFL just keeps increasing. 

Elway's stats now are nowhere near Top 10, same with Kelly's and so forth. 

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

mckenzie could mismatch him, but only by speed. otherwise, knox can beat him with size quite well

💯 which is why I prefer Diggs outside most of the time in this matchup. We still have to move him around…..we’ll always have to move him around…. But his best matchups are on the outside imo.

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I wonder if the Bills employ more rotations, both at corner and WR. 

Because with Beasley on the roster now, McKenzie looks to play, and Shakir who showed speed and ability last week. 

I wonder if we see more of the 2010 Bills with 4-wide sets? 

This has trailed off, IMO, because our RT is not good. 

Also, it sure looked like the Bills and Ravens could run on the Bengals, especially with Cook. 

Exactly.  Brown is ruining this offense by being so inept.  Hubbard isn’t an all pro, but he’s a very good DE imo. Brown will probably need lots of help.  Per usual 

The talk re: Gabe, he looks LOCKED IN during that interview where he talks about Von, the trophy and the letter his mom wrote him.  

Not sure why he seems to elevate in big games, but it’s happened enough to be a real thing.  

Would love for his play to be consistent, but if he’s our Robert Horry, I’ll take it.  

Enter Playoffs and Gabe was out there looking like a Top 5 WR last week just dominating anyone who tried to cover him. 

• Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

For a wr that has the deepest average targets in the league, he's going to have a lower catch % than short route running receivers. 

And I don't disagree that he needs to be more consistent. I think he needs to catch 10-15 more passes per season based on 100 targets. 

I don't know how difficult of an improvement that is, and how challenging it would be for him to maintain that level of improvement season to season. But I'm not ready to write him off. 

All I know is nyc sports radio - Bart Scott , Boomer Esiason etc. are all talking about how great it would be to add Gabe Davis to the Giants.. It's just funny how respected he is in other fan bases.

They must have forgot he's still under contract next year but the hosts and many callers are talking about how great that addition would be 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

My bad, I meant to say they WENT to a super bowl. You all are right, I was wrong. Should have read before hitting Submit Reply.

No worries that was a great distraction from usual stuff :)

Just now, JerseyBills said:

All I know is nyc sports radio - Bart Scott , Boomer Esiason etc. are all talking about how great it would be to add Gabe Davis to the Giants.. It's just funny how respected he is in other fan bases.

They must haforgot he's still under contract next year but the hosts and many callers are talking about how great that addition would be 

It’s because, like most of the media, they are reactionary.  

If all you do is watch Buffalo in big games, you’d throw 25M per year at Gabe Davis and not blink an eye.  

Bills fans follow this team week in/week out and watch him against (insert random team) in Week 11 where he’s invisible and/or dropping a pass. 

That being said .. he’s big, physical and an elite deep route runner.  Really talented player with a ton of upside.  For as much of a criticism we have for consistency, it’s an attribute that he always steps up in big games.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

It’s because, like most of the media, they are reactionary.  

If all you do is watch Buffalo in big games, you’d throw 25M per year at Gabe Davis and not blink an eye.  

Bills fans follow this team week in/week out and watch him against (insert random team) in Week 11 where he’s invisible and/or dropping a pass. 

That being said .. he’s big, physical and an elite deep route runner.  Really talented player with a ton of upside.  For as much of a criticism we have for consistency, it’s an attribute that he always steps up in big games.  

He's had a nose for the end zone since he arrived, that's what I've seen. 

He's not blazing fast, but somehow he gets on top of guys.