Do the Kansas City Chiefs deserve a bye week ?

HOUSE

26 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Buffalo essentially had a bye week by not playing over 3 and a half quarters of football.

Yes, we had a devastating injury but you're kidding yourself if you think other serious injuries couldn't have occurred with the time remaining.

How would you feel if in the third quarter of that game Morse gets concussed again? Or Diggs gets a high ankle sprain? Or Milano gets hurt? It could have happened.

Accept it and be glad we don't go to Arrowhead this post season. Life isn't fair. Move on.

A bye week in which they lost their starting free safety for the season. 

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

A bye week in which they lost their starting free safety for the season. 

Sorry, but your logic does not preclude any other Bills from getting injured for over 3 and a half quarters of football if they were to have played the rest of the game.

The fact is the Bills didn't play over 3 and a half quarters of football. So not exactly a bye but they missed the vast majority of the game. The truth is they didn't play anywhere near to a full football game against Cinci.

Is this the ideal outcome? No. but I think it's reasonable and choose to move on. Others can continue to feel victimized by it if that helps them process their emotions or get through the week.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

Sorry, but your logic does not preclude any other Bills from getting injured for over 3 and a half quarters of football if they were to have played the rest of the game.

The fact is the Bills didn't play over 3 and a half quarters of football. So not exactly a bye but they missed the vast majority of the game. The truth is they didn't play anywhere near to a full football game against Cinci.

Is this the ideal outcome? No. but I think it's reasonable and choose to move on. Others can continue to feel victimized by it if that helps them process their emotions or get through the week.

I get that, but please don't use "bye" when they lose a starting safety and see a major piece (Taron Johnson) get put in concussion protocol. I realize it could have been worse on the injury front.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Irv said:

They backed in to the #1 seed over two teams that kicked their ass.  

I predict they will be one-and-done and this neutral-site nonsense will never go down.

Can’t wait for the Rat’s next epic meltdown in it’s final game, 3rd time in 3 straight years will be funny af.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The fair solution was no bye week in the AFC. 

The only way it is fair is if no bye week in NFC as well and no way is that voted in.

Remember any change needs to be voted by supermajority of owners or representatives.

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I get that, but please don't use "bye" when they lose a starting safety and see a major piece (Taron Johnson) get put in concussion protocol. I realize it could have been worse on the injury front.

Josh also had his leg deliberately rolled on.

Funny (but not funny ha ha) how Bills and Bengals were friends after injury but not before.

Bills and Bengals will likely meet in playoffs and should talk about a scrimmage combined with social events before and after it.  This will decrease tensions in playoffs.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Fair enough. 

I get people are upset and need to express it (this is a message board); I'm just suggesting we accept what is and what we can control and look forward.

Let's destroy the fish, rest our starters with a big lead, and escape that game with no injuries. Go Bills!!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL had to do something, and apparently making-up the Buffalo-Cincinnati game wasn't a viable option for the league.

Considering the Chiefs ended up as the only AFC team with 14 wins, you really can't argue with them getting some of the #1 seed benefits.  But since the Bills also could have easily gotten the #1 seed (had the game not been cancelled), they really can't argue with losing homefield over us.  This was an OK compromise.  

There are basically three advantages of the #1 seed.

1. The first-round bye

2. Homefield advantage 

3. Lower seeded opponents

My problem is the Chiefs getting 2/3 of these benefits, and still having the nerve to complain about getting screwed.  And it's not even like they totally lost homefield and have to play in Buffalo.  They get a neutral field that puts both teams on equal footing.

We made out. We get to play Miami instead of the Chargers, which we would have had to play, most likely, if we got the #1 seed. Yea, we have to play Cincy in the divisionals probably, but would have had to play them in Week 17 anyway in order to have the bye. So it's a push. We can't avoid them. We got our bye last week. Plus, if we had lost to Cincy in Week 17, we would have had to go there again in the divisionals, then to KC. 

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Based on the solution created by the NFL and then discussed, vetted, and ratified by the ownership yes, in fact, the Chiefs deserved the bye.  That does not mean I agree with it, but last I checked the NFL and the owners did not ask me; nor anyone on this board.

This is why I like this board so much, we get to present and entertain many views both normative to our own beliefs and others so far out of reach it is intriguing to wonder how someone comes up with such "curious" questions.

Go Bills!

5 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Chiefs deserved it. It wouldn't be an issue if Allen didn't fumble at the goal line against the Vikings

i don’t know. I wondered about that a couple of weeks ago. If we won the Vikings game, would it have changed the sense of urgency at the end of the Lions game, for instance, when we couldn’t afford to lose another game in large part due to the Vikings game and the urgency to win the game at the end of the 4th quarter so that there would be no chance of going to OT? (to avoid another potential outcome LIKE the Vikings game?)

It might sound silly on the surface but as Von and many other players have pointed out “you learn more from the losses than the wins” and all I know is we have not lost a “close game” since that Vikings game. 

All I am saying is that, if we won that Vikings game, it doesn’t automatically mean we still would have won every game after that

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 1

Unpopular opinion I'm sure but here goes.

Ignoring the losses we took because that doesn't matter.

The league rule says divert back to winning % which gives KC home field and the bye. 

They had to give up home field on a technicality, if they pushed they could have got both. 

Buffalo had a tragedy and they done the right thing by getting off the field and being with their teammate. 

That doesn't mean other people have to accommodate them though. It's a good life lesson, doing the right thing doesn't bring a parade, just shows your character. Actually it usually makes things harder, just as it has here.

I know KC was a beneficiary of someone else's tragedy, but it's not their fault. 

Persevere and prevail to be the victor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.