Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

I am being completely realistic when I say that I believe that Cincy was going to beat the brakes off of us in the game Hamlin went down in, and I don't think much will be different if we play them in the divisional round in Orchard Park.

Epenesa will keep running by the QB...rendering our pass rush useless, while Burrow will find open receivers and hit tight windows.

It will take an incredible offensive performance to beat Cincy or KC. Possible, but we haven't seen this offense operate that effectively in quite some time

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Huge no to blitzing more often. There have been games this year - Minnesota was one - where were constantly burned on the blitz. 

Jones 17/17,  3 TDs on their scoring drives, which were primarily against 4 rushing and 7 in coverage. 

Jones started making mistakes when we were bringing an extra rusher or two.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Lack of consistent pressure today was an issue and left Jones with way too much time which made the pass defense appear poor. There  were times he was standing there for 5 seconds and more with no pressure at all.  Also, Marlow looked lost out there.  it was a huge problem.  Yet despite this, the defense recorded 3 interceptions and held them to under 250 yards passing.  we won by two touchdowns.

i expect with a full week of preparations and less of a running on pure emotion approach, The Bills D will be just fine, although replacing Hamlin does concern me.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

The number of (1) easy, stress-free completions and (2) receivers running open downfield, is alarming, to say the least.

I've never been a big fan of Frazier's style of defense, but even his staunchest defenders have to admit that the defense has played poorly of late.

Will Frazier be able to right the ship before next weekend?

Every teams gets open on us yet we struggle to get receivers open. You're right, it's too easy for offenses at times against us

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I am being completely realistic when I say that I believe that Cincy was going to beat the brakes off of us in the game Hamlin went down in, and I don't think much will be different if we play them in the divisional round in Orchard Park.

Epenesa will keep running by the QB...rendering our pass rush useless, while Burrow will find open receivers and hit tight windows.

It will take an incredible offensive performance to beat Cincy or KC. Possible, but we haven't seen this offense operate that effectively in quite some time

If we play the typical rush 4 and drop 7, I think Burrow and Mahomes will pick us apart all game long.  When we played KC last, we had Von, who was harassing Mahomes much of the game.  We just don't have that with AJE and Basham. We are going to need to blitz to get pressure. If we don't, we are deciding we are OK with them marching down the field.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

49ers DIDN'T let their receivers run free off the line of scrimmage. Disrupted their timing. 

That's another thing I'll never understand about Frazier's D.  If we are often in the vanilla Cover 2 with the 2 deep safties, why would you not jam the receivers at the line?  Even if a receiver does manage to put a move on the DB and get some separation, you have the safety help over the top.  It's seems like they aren't taking advantage of what the defensive scheme allows you to do.

Especially against play action and routes highly dependent on timing like NE was doing, messing up that timing should be the obvious goal.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, damj said:

Concerned. Very concerned.

We were playing soft and letting them catch everything underneath. Very few contested catches

We are one of the few defenses that allowed Zach Wilson and even Tua (in recent games) to look solid.  So this defense clearly is designed to play off the receivers, let them catch it and limit the damage,,, then get a timely INT or something... allow a long drive to get sabotaged by a fumble, penalty or sack.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Today it was unacceptable

But I don’t know if that’s a lack of talent so much as it is just the team being mentally spent this week

I said it earlier, it looked to me like they came out, super hyped, and then leveled off and went flat

Mac Jones is not as good as he looked today

Did Mac Jones really look that good?  Other than the TD pass in the 4th Quarter, he was pretty much throwing 8 yard passes or less.   They certainly didn't trust him to make any big throws down the field.

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

In defense of the pass rush, I’m going to argue that oline we saw today was one of the 3 best we’ve seen all year.  

Did Andrews play against us the first game?

And they were playing for Slater, who I think is retiring.  

The Dolphins oline with Armstead is decent.  Without him it’s below average.  

The Bengals lost Kappa today - meaning the right side of their oline is out.

As has been the case with this D for years, good olines are our kryptonite.  I don’t think we’ll see one as good as today’s in the playoffs.  The Chiefs is the best - but they aren’t beating the Chargers. 

Many think Miami should be an easy win. I very much disagree.  They played us tough just a few weeks ago, and they were also able to run on us in that game.  

12 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

His bend but don't break approach is what pisses me off. 49ers put out a blueprint on how to shut the Dolphins offense down and he refuses to use it

Yes!  FINALLY someone puti t the way I wanted to!

I dont get why either - blueprint was copied by the Chargers - whom i dont feel is on the same page defensively as we are - they have good pieces, but we are obviously better - yet we dont adopt it. 

Stubborness of either McD or Frazier i cant figure out.

29 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

49ers DIDN'T let their receivers run free off the line of scrimmage. Disrupted their timing. 

They did…are you thinking of the chargers?  Or are you assuming because the 49ers defense played well against Miami that they must’ve played a lot of press coverage? 

49ers played it exactly the same way as what Leslie Frazier is criticized around here for.  

12 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Here's the thing- by FAR the best game the Dolphins had offensively during their losing streak (you can even include today), was against the Bills.  Brissett looked really good against the Bills too.  

Well, i thnk that is becaase they were overly hyped and have tape on us too - BUT i do feel our defensive philosphy is a bit stubborn.

With a healthy Von we just line up and win as the best team in football. Now we need good fortune to take home the Lombardi. What is really mind numbing is that two of our 5 best players, Von and Tre, went down on that horrendous turf the players are demanding be abolished. Can you imagine this team with a healthy Von and Tre. 

44 minutes ago, nucci said:

Every teams gets open on us yet we struggle to get receivers open. You're right, it's too easy for offenses at times against us

Yep - man defenses tend to have lower comp% numbers and sometimes yardage too.  

But then you have 1x1 deep balls to worry about, and you tend to get fewer takeaways.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.