Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

19 minutes ago, jrb2590 said:

they also could have lost or won the game had it continued so its hard to say it hurts cincy before it is flipped -- maybe they would have lost the game but win the flip, no one knows. 

if they lose it, then sure it hurts cinci, but they had the same odds to win it as buffalo. the game itself was practically a tossup before it started and probably when it ended, so this is the fairest way in my opinion if they dont replay it. there was no knowing who would win the game, and there is no knowing who will win the coin toss. if cinci wins the toss, then ravens fans will be mad but there was no guarantee that cinci was going to lose the game, and same with chiefs fans if buffalo wins it... but one team was getting a W and L barring a tie to start with

No one has to agree to anything - commish gets to decide.  

6 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I actually think if KC stepped up and said they were willing to do this, it might have a chance of happening.

Or just do it anyway.... they don't have to be willing to do anything.  

31 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh yea it def does but there’s not a lot that can be done that doesn’t negatively impact somebody.  

Put a number of balls equal to number of wins for each three teams into a bowl and have blindfolded commissioner pick one - that is #1 team. Then he picks until he gets either one of remaining teams who becomes #2 team with remaining team be #3 team.  This "suspension" affected odds of each team winning #1 seed.

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

A weird option that would make the NFL more money & even make another fanbase happy - allow a theoretical 8th seed for the AFC, no team gets a BYE, and all 8 teams square off WC weekend. 

Sure, the Chiefs lose their BYE, but they just as easily could've lost it to the Bengals or Bills depending on how the season played out anyway. All 3 teams are forfeiting their chance at a BYE, while also giving another fanbase a chance to participate in the post season. Plus, the NFL gets another game & more revenue from it.

Obviously, this won't happen, but it at least screws over everyone equally & has a bit of upside for another team.

This solution favors NFC.  Have no byes in either conference.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Put a number of balls equal to number of wins for each three teams into a bowl and have blindfolded commissioner pick one - that is #1 team. Then he picks until he gets either one of remaining teams who becomes #2 team with remaining team be #3 team.  This "suspension" affected odds of each team winning #1 seed.

This solution favors NFC.  Have no byes in either conference.

I suppose so, but that just adds more teams you're screwing over into the mix. Your way makes more sense for parity purposes, but it also complicates things in a negative way for an additional team. 

Having one AFC team play one additional post season game isn't a huge deal, especially when the #1 seed is only in that position due to the #2/#3 squads missing an entire game from the schedule. Both #2/#3 teams have a head-to-head win over #1, so it'd be harder for them to cry foul about not getting their BYE when they did not control their own destiny going into last night (unlike the current #2 seed).

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Gotta stop with the coin flip scenario. Nobody is flipping a coin with a player in Hamlin’s condition. This isn’t for home field for round 1 of D5 CIF Southern Section. Stop with the coin flip.. it’s no way to handle a situation like this. 

What other way gives players control of their own destinies without forcing them to revisit the trauma or give KC the 1 seed?

• Agree 1

This team is in no place to play football until they find out what is going to happen to their brother.  If he is OK they will play hard.  If not, who knows.

I say leave it to the players and let the players speak through the captains.  If they have no news or are burying there brother for forfeit Sunday, let them grieve with the rest of the community and come back to football the following week if they so choose. 

There is no fair in this.  There is only class and character.  I think the right thing to do is to forfeit the game.  It really is meaningless to these guys.  Cincy was the epitome of class last night.  The coach, organization, fans and community.  Not putting them in a worse position would show sportsmanship back.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I actually think if KC stepped up and said they were willing to do this, it might have a chance of happening.

KC fan here. I say lets do the 8 team no byes playoff. I am good with any option to be honest.

KC should not gain a competitive advantage from this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Gotta stop with the coin flip scenario. Nobody is flipping a coin with a player in Hamlin’s condition. This isn’t for home field for round 1 of D5 CIF Southern Section. Stop with the coin flip.. it’s no way to handle a situation like this. 

The problem with this argument is that you could make the exact same argument about any solution.  "How can you flip a coin while Hamlin is in the hospital?"  "How can you resume the game with Hamlin in the hospital?"  "How can you call it a tie with Hamlin in the hospital?"

What happened to Damar sucks.  It's tragic.  But life doesn't stop just because of a tragedy, and the NFL is under the gun because it's already Tuesday of Week 18.  It may feel gross, but they're going to have to make a decision and run with it. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, davspo said:

This team is in no place to play football until they find out what is going to happen to their brother.  If he is OK they will play hard.  If not, who knows.

I say leave it to the players and let the players speak through the captains.  If they have no news or are burying there brother for forfeit Sunday, let them grieve with the rest of the community and come back to football the following week if they so choose. 

There is no fair in this.  There is only class and character.  I think the right thing to do is to forfeit the game.  It really is meaningless to these guys.  Cincy was the epitome of class last night.  The coach, organization, fans and community.  Not putting them in a worse position would show sportsmanship back.

This is not how you cope with grief, actually would make it worse. 

9 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Anyone know what other boards, particularly Chiefs, Bengals, Ravens, Pats boards, are saying regarding this question? Just curious if there's any overall perspective difference.

I was reading through the chiefs forum briefly and it seems like they feel terrible about the whole situation but don’t believe their team should be penalized with games getting rescheduled  and whatnot 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

There is no perfect solution.  What matters right now is to see if the Bills players are in any frame of mind to play Sunday.  If God forbid Damar doesn’t make it then how do you make them play?

I really wonder if the Bills just forfeit the game Sunday and treat it as their bye week.  I almost think they need it in order to mentally and emotionally prepare.  Because even if Damar ends up making it and being on the road to recovery 🙏 you just have to think there's a lot of emotional exhaustion from the players right now... and it's already a short week.

Hell, I could barely sleep last night.  I can't even imagine how the players are doing right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Move the playoffs back a week? Unlikely, but fair. I don't believe Damar's health is a factor moving forward for scheduling purposes. He'll probably be out of commission for some time. They aren't going to prevent us from playing while he's on the mend. I would really like to know the extent of the damage to his heart. Is it life altering? Will he retire? Heck, will he live? I'm anxious to hear. I really hope he makes a full recovery.

At any rate, we shouldn't lose the #1 seed over this. That would be so unfair. I also don't see us forfeiting any game(s). That's not going to help anything or anyone except the other playoff teams.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

IMHO - seems to me that KC has enjoyed a pretty "lucky" season and the Bills situation enhances their chances.  KC has benefitted from a weaker-than-expected division, some lucky wins and a fairly "healthy" team this entire season.  Our Bills on the other hand have had to endure a number of curve balls including key injuries to specific position groups, mishaps at the worst time (ex. Viking's loss), a disrupted schedule (including a home game in Detroit) and now last night's horrific injury.  I don't think any team has had to deal with as much adversity as our Bills, while the Chiefs have and will continue to benefit from being luck (including home field advantage now).

Just being honest... this team feels cursed right now.

Along with all our injuries that didn't seem season ending at first but somehow became that way (Hyde, Von, Crowder), the Bills had to deal with a generational snowstorm forcing them to play an away game, resulting in 3 road games in 11 days and then they got stranded in Chicago for Christmas.

And now this.

If this team can find a way to still win the Super Bowl, I wonder if there's ever been a tougher and more resilient Super Bowl Champion.

Heck, their practice season started with a mass shooting in their community.

Just insane.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Just being honest... this team feels cursed right now.

Along with all our injuries that didn't seem season ending at first but somehow became that way (Hyde, Von, Crowder), the Bills had to deal with a generational snowstorm forcing them to play an away game, resulting in 3 road games in 11 days and then they got stranded in Chicago for Christmas.

And now this.

If this team can find a way to still win the Super Bowl, I wonder if there's ever been a tougher and more resilient Super Bowl Champion.

Heck, their practice season started with a mass shooting in their community.

Just insane.

Unbelievable injuries have wrecked what was supposed to be a SB-winning season.  If they somehow manage to win it, great, but I'm not faulting them if they don't.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.