Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

8 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

The league might be best served by waiting on the results from this weekend's games before deciding if/when to resched the Bills/Bengals.

This, to me, is the only thing that makes sense.

its very likely the league will have to make some tough decisions, but in the event KC and the Bengals somehow both lost, replaying the game is likely a moot point for the 1 seed (provided the Bills play, and win).

there would need to be some magic worked to resolve 2/3 seeds between KC and Cinci but that seems like an easier situation than shuffling the top 3 teams. I think they are hoping to avoid that, but more than likely they will have to come up with something. 

it serves them better to wait this week out before having to make that call.

Hopefully we get some good news soon from Hamlin and the boys can focus on winning for him (when they are ready). truth be told, as much as I “care”, I don’t care about football right now. Thinking about it serves as a nice distraction, but beyond that if the Bills came together and said “we can’t play” I will support it no matter what. Family comes first.

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

So I've been thinking non-stop about this: Call this a tie and modify the playoffs:

Any games between Bills/Chiefs/Bengals would have to be on a neutral site. Chiefs get a bye and home field for round two. If/When the Bills play the Bengals in round 2 it will be on a neutral field. If the Chiefs advance and one of the Bills/Bengals advance it too will have to be on a neutral site.

That doesn't make sense.  The Bills were a full game clear on Cincinnati.  It benefits Cincy and KC more than Buffalo by doing this.  This means Cincy clinches the division and Baltimore doesn't have a chance to advance.  Buffalo then loses their advantage for beating KC earlier this season, and KC is awarded the playoff advantage despite losing to Cincy AND Buffalo.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

That doesn't make sense.  The Bills were a full game clear on Cincinnati.  It benefits Cincy and KC more than Buffalo by doing this.  This means Cincy clinches the division and Baltimore doesn't have a chance to advance.  Buffalo then loses their advantage for beating KC earlier this season, and KC is awarded the playoff advantage despite losing to Cincy AND Buffalo.

Only way the game could be a tie imo. Which I don't support. I'm firmly in the play the game on Jan 15th

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think you're misreading my point. .Going forward, it's objectively unfair to the rest of the league to not have one team get a loss and one team get a win for this game prior to the conclusion of week 18.

If KC didn't and Baltimore didn't lose to Buffalo and Cincy this season, then the call for unfairness would be in the cards.  

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

Only way the game could be a tie imo. Which I don't support. I'm firmly in the play the game on Jan 15th

They could base records on a 16 game schedule, rather than the 17 game schedule?  Raiders are out of the playoffs, so their game doesn't matter.  Just have KC take Week 18 off and have Buffalo play New England.  If Buffalo wins, they get the 1 seed.  If they lose, it goes to KC.  I'm not factoring Cincy simply because they are 1 loss behind both teams.  Have them play Baltimore for the division.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bills at Bengals as first game of Wild Card weekend. A “bye” in that both teams move on to the Divisional round

1 KC

2 BUF vs 3 CIN  (Top 3 Reseeding)

4 vs 7

5 vs 6

So, KC gets a bye, the Bills play the Bengals, but both advance to the next round, while 4 plays 7 and 5 plays 6?

You'd have KC, BUF, CIN and two other teams in the divisional round.  How you gonna have games with 5 teams?

• Like (+1) 1

The game can't be replayed without disrupting the entire rest of the league.  So there is no game.  Teams will simply have to go with the records they have. So if KC wins on Sunday, they get the #1 seed.  If KC loses and Bills win, Bills get to keep #1 seed. If KC and Bills lose and Cinci wins, Cinci gets #1 seed. And if all 3 of these teams lose on Sunday, then Bills also keep #1 seed. There simply is no other way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, BLeonard said:

So, KC gets a bye, the Bills play the Bengals, but both advance to the next round, while 4 plays 7 and 5 plays 6?

You'd have KC, BUF, CIN and two other teams in the divisional round.  How you gonna have games with 5 teams?

yeah that doesn't make sense either.  You also give KC 2 bye weeks.

There's no way they can rescheduling anything or move the playoff/Super Bowl schedule around.

If anything, the Bills and Bengals eat this game. Either as a tie, or they just play a 16 game schedule and standing is determined by Win %.

Assuming we all win out next week, gives us:

1 KC

2 Buffalo

3 Cincy

Which at this point, I'm fine with. Better than a loss last night. And KC's D is so sus, they could go out round 2 and AFC Champ still goes through Buffalo. Assuming we survive Round 2, these injuries tho...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Forget the Bengals game.  That will never be made up.  At this point I'm just wondering if the Bills will be prepared to play New England.  That's definitely not a given that Buffalo players will be in a frame of mind to play at all.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, BLeonard said:

Ahhhh dang you're right. There goes that idea.  I really liked it too! 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There's no way they can rescheduling anything or move the playoff/Super Bowl schedule around.

If anything, the Bills and Bengals eat this game. Either as a tie, or they just play a 16 game schedule and standing is determined by Win %.

Assuming we all win out next week, gives us:

1 KC

2 Buffalo

3 Cincy

Which at this point, I'm fine with. Better than a loss last night. And KC's D is so sus, they could go out round 2 and AFC Champ still goes through Buffalo. Assuming we survive Round 2, these injuries tho...

Yeah - I don't fear going to KC like I have in previous years, and we may not even have to.  By the time we get to the AFCCG, it may still be in Buffalo.

Losing the rest week would hurt w/ this banged up team, but it can't be perfect.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly I don't know how this Bills team moves on from what has happened.  If Hamlin pulls through then it's going to take a lot for this team to get back in the right mind frame to be playing their best ball of the year.  If the unthinkable happens then there is no way this team can finish their season.  Absolutely tragic and sad what has happened.  

Just now, Mark92 said:

Honestly I don't know how this Bills team moves on from what has happened.  If Hamlin pulls through then it's going to take a lot for this team to get back in the right mind frame to be playing their best ball of the year.  If the unthinkable happens then there is no way this team can finish their season.  Absolutely tragic and sad what has happened.  

It is brutal and will certainly impact their psyche. But also football is what they know and is often an outlet for them. In 2008 Washington lost Sean Taylor during the season and continued on.

Obvi every player must make the decision that works best for them and I wouldnt fault anyone that wants to take a break. But I also wouldnt be surprised if the team *wants* to play starting Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

The same way the team pulled through when Kevin Everett was paralyzed on the opening kickoff, and finished that game and played the whole season. The same way the Steelers pulled through when Shazier was paralyzed on the field.

Especially now that he is in stable (yet still critical) condition.

I think we'll see some players leave the game. Hearing lots of chatter about Tre retiring (which might be best for everyone). But its all just chatter at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have no problem at all if the Bills do not ever continue this game, and I have no problem at all if the New England game is canceled or forfeited. We are less than 24 hours in, but what matters is first of all Damar, and second of all the mental state of the players. If that means the next snap in a football game is Jan 14/15 against the Ravens in Buffalo as the 3 seed, or any other variation along the way, I hope it is with Damar watching and on his way to a full recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

It was obviously very traumatic, but it was a fluke and Hamlin is almost certainly going to survive.  I feel pretty confident that the team will rally in his absence. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.