Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Anyone know what question McD would not comment on?  The audio for the reporters questions is so bad.  I almost never watch these anymore.

I think it was about what the NFL was doing about the Cinci game, but can't be sure

I didn't see this posted yet, but if it has been, please forgive me. Pertinent part in bold.

From the NFLPA press conference about Damar Hamlin today:

“A lot of people have been speculating about what would have caused this [to a] young, healthy, great condition young man,” Hines said. “What we have seen through the video and what we know, Thom and I discussed this and probably said this in unison, commotio cordis, the blow that hits you in the chest and hits you in a very unique time and what’s when there’s an upstroke of the heart and go back to what an EKG looks like and the second peak, it had to hit you in the right place. So, it’s a very rare incidence that doesn’t happen very often at all, but we know about it. The emergency action plans preparing the teams ahead of time, that’s all part of hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, and that’s what happened. They were ready.”

Mayer stressed that Hamlin’s commotio cordis diagnosis is a first for the NFL.

“It is unusual and quite unique,” Mayer said. “The good news is if that continues to be the presumptive working diagnosis, that is so exceedingly rare that someone who had would not be at risk for the future, and if if indeed that turns out to be the bottom line diagnosis, then there’s been 24,000 men who have played this game in the National Football League, and this has never happened before, so it would be a 1 in 24,000 incidences.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Anyone know what question McD would not comment on?  The audio for the reporters questions is so bad.  I almost never watch these anymore.

Weird question about what he felt about the league wanting them to play this week.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I didn't see this posted yet, but if it has been, please forgive me. Pertinent part in bold.

“A lot of people have been speculating about what would have caused this [to a] young, healthy, great condition young man,” Hines said. “What we have seen through the video and what we know, Thom and I discussed this and probably said this in unison, commotio cordis, the blow that hits you in the chest and hits you in a very unique time and what’s when there’s an upstroke of the heart and go back to what an EKG looks like and the second peak, it had to hit you in the right place. So, it’s a very rare incidence that doesn’t happen very often at all, but we know about it. The emergency action plans preparing the teams ahead of time, that’s all part of hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, and that’s what happened. They were ready.”

“It is unusual and quite unique,” Mayer said. “The good news is if that continues to be the presumptive working diagnosis, that is so exceedingly rare that someone who had would not be at risk for the future, and if if indeed that turns out to be the bottom line diagnosis, then there’s been 24,000 men who have played this game in the National Football League, and this has never happened before, so it would be a 1 in 24,000 incidences.”

His doctors stressed that he has not been diagnosed with anything yet. 

They still have many tests to run in order to rule out numerous possibilities before they arrive at the answer. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I think it was about what the NFL was doing about the Cinci game, but can't be sure

I’m paraphrasing but it was along the lines of the previous question…. “I know you guys said you want to play this weekend but do you think that’s also what the NFL wants?”  “NFL” …..Implying Goodell. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

"Doc, this is Jerry Sullivan.  I have this pain in my ankle that only hurts when I walk...."

I know it’s a minor thing.  But I’m really glad he hasn’t been around asking questions this week. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It was Mookie, I would be willing to bet he just used the wrong word, he's not generally a negative person.

I believe you're probably correct. 

But there have been all kinds of crazy rumors around the internet - that Hamlin had to have CPR and be defibrillated again in the hospital, that he had a tracheostomy, that his jaw had been broken, that the ambulance waited for Hamlin's mom possibly to the detriment of his immediate care, that Hamlin's brain activity was flatlined and his family just couldn't face the decision to take him off life support, and I'm sure I'm not touching the surface.

So he might have used the word that he meant, and gotten the answer he wanted when they doctors responded to the effect "I don't think anything detrimental was done"

Nit: spelled Muki

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Noticed Coach McD thanked Terry Pegula and not Terry and Kim Pegula. Wonder if she’s still away from the team.

I think that is correct.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

His doctors stressed that he has not been diagnosed with anything yet. 

They still have many tests to run in order to rule out numerous possibilities before they arrive at the answer. 

Just like any medical diagnosis, you stabilize and solidify the patients health first and foremost. You then in the future take all the analysis and then you systemically rule out what did/didn’t occur to come up with what created the outcomes. You don’t identify the root cause first. There are many types of underlying heart conditions that could have contributed and they will rule them out by process of elimination. 

Unfortunately the Twitter experts have already decided they know it’s either one root cause or vaccine related where it’s quite possible is neither. 

No matter, god bless Damar and get well soon!!!!! 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

It’s incredibly cool how impressed the UC doctors were with the Bills medical staff. They clearly saved Damar’s life by performing perfectly in an unprecedented situation. I feel so proud that Buffalo has such great people in the organization. 

We've learned something this week about how the NFL has put resources in place and trained and before each game in each stadium, holds a preparedness meeting for just this medical true emergency - which has never actually occurred on a professional football field since...1971?

So these guys on the training staff stay current, year after year, skills they hope they'll never have to use.  They and the physicians and opponent's staff talk through, week after week, roles and responsibilities and protocols and procedures that again, they hope they'll never have to use.

Well, Monday, they had to implement those never used protocols and test those never used skills, and it all worked like a well-oiled Swiss watch.

They have to be proud.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

I didnt watch the medical press conference in full but I could have sworn that they didnt diagnose him with that yet and further said that diagnosis comes from pretty much ruling everything else out and they havent done that yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Just like any medical diagnosis, you stabilize and solidify the patients health first and foremost. You then in the future take all the analysis and then you systemically rule out what did/didn’t occur to come up with what created the outcomes. You don’t identify the root cause first. There are many types of underlying heart conditions that could have contributed and they will rule them out by process of elimination. 

Unfortunately the Twitter experts have already decide they know it’s either one root cause or vaccine related where is quite possible is neither. 

i agree. I don’t understand how anyone can speculate as to cause, including the NFL docs. Let’s all hope it is something rare like commotio cordis, as the NFL docs have speculated. But it is driving me a little crazy that people are speculating on various causes and calling things “misinformation” already. 

I am just hoping it isn’t some undiagnosed heart defect or something that could be recurring. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.