JJ Watt retiring

YoloinOhio

I wonder if he'd feel the same way if he'd signed here. I suppose it wouldn't have worked out, but I've much respect for him.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Arizona was becoming irrelevant, needed to bring the spotlight back on him

You're saying he's a prima donna? I've never gotten that impression. Look where he spent his career. I never heard anything negative from him. Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

did he run afoul of the PED regs and they gave him a choice?

wouldn't shock me.  him and Cushing were basically built in laboratories. (add Hopkins to that mix too).usatsi_7436840.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

13 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

As stated above, Bruce's performance enhancer of choice was cocaine.  

Well, based on Bruce's career stats, "it's a hell of a drug."

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Why announce it now?  Why not just play out the season then announce?

He wanted to get his chance in the media. Probably knows of some other big names retiring (Brady, maybe?) and realizes his news will be dwarfed. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No proof but just seemed like this guy was more steroid than athlete.  Probably a first ballot HOF inductee because before the injuries set in he was being compared to LT in terms of dominance on the defensive side of the ball. 

Understand and agree what you’re getting at, we will all watch him shrink rapidly upon retirement, tis the nature of stopping the steroid / HGH use. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thank GOD!  So tired of hearing this guy’s knob get slobbered every time he’s televised. 

I’m always interested in seeing what these roid boys look like a few months to a year after retiring. 

It is not just the roids but 6K calorie diets, tremendous amount of lifting and other exercise, professional help such as personal cooks, masseuses' and trainers, etc.  I worked with coworker who used to play for Jets and he still was in great shape but he was still into athletics but has less mass since he does not eat so much.  He is a high end identity and security engineer who while is not making as much as he was as a player is making mid 100Ks and sometimes over 200K with project bonuses.  He was not drafted so constantly had to work to stay in league and I guess he got tired of it.

37 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

He wanted to get his chance in the media. Probably knows of some other big names retiring (Brady, maybe?) and realizes his news will be dwarfed. 

He needs to pick right year for his Hall of Fame eligibility and may have a job lined up already.

Just now, Limeaid said:

It is not just the roids but 6K calorie diets, tremendous amount of lifting and other exercise, professional help such as personal cooks, masseuses' and trainers, etc.  I worked with coworker who used to play for Jets and he still was in great shape but he was still into athletics but has less mass since he does not eat so much.  He is a high end identity and security engineer who while is not making as much as he was as a player is making mid 100Ks and sometimes over 200K with project bonuses.  He was not drafted so constantly had to work to stay in league and I guess he got tired of it.

The roids make them as big as they are.  Just look at how much these guys shrink after they stop playing.  Jeff Saturday is barely recognizable. 

Eric Wood looks like Thurman Merman in Bad Santa 2.  

It's the roids.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Von Miller was already taken but Cam Heyward and Cam Jordan who are both still elite were available to the Bills.

Seems like I remember a video of the Bill's brass celebrating when Von Miller was taken thus leaving the preferred Dareus for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ah yes, JJ Watt.

Fortunately for the Bills, JJ Watt help expose EJ Manuel for the inept  player he was.

I was in the stadium with a perfect angle when EJ lofted a ball to Watt who proceeded to run it 80 yards for a TD.  It was like watching a car wreck in slow motion, you could see it coming all the way.  

Imagine, a DT returning a interception 80 yards.  It was the second half when they finally benched EJ

So was I. Horrible performance but This game spawned the rebirth of Kyle Orton who played well, but decided to retire as well after the season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I wonder if he'd feel the same way if he'd signed here. I suppose it wouldn't have worked out, but I've much respect for him.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Arizona was becoming irrelevant, needed to bring the spotlight back on him

You're saying he's a prima donna? I've never gotten that impression. Look where he spent his career. I never heard anything negative from him. Did I miss something?

I was against the Bills signing him as a FA because the whole situation reeked of him wanting to get a final big payday rather than a Super Bowl. He was a tremendous player who sadly was injured too much. He also used his celebrity status for charity purposes as the excerpt below from Wiki describes. 

He also raised over $37 million ($100,000 of which he personally donated) to help Houston recover from Hurricane Harvey, surpassing his initial goal of $200,000.[178]

After the Santa Fe High School shooting on May 18, 2018, that left eight students and two teachers dead, Watt offered to pay for the funerals of the dead.[179]

Watt covered the funeral costs for the victims of the Waukesha Christmas parade attack, which left six people dead.[180]

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Von Miller was already taken but Cam Heyward and Cam Jordan who are both still elite were available to the Bills.

oh man,  could you imagine Cam Heyward in the middle of our defense for all those years.   would have been nice.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The roids make them as big as they are.  Just look at how much these guys shrink after they stop playing.  Jeff Saturday is barely recognizable. 

It's the roids.

Doubt it’s that given that they’re fairly easy to detect. There’s a reason the NFL really doesn’t test for HGH, which I suspect is rampant among players.

Way back I thought Watt could challenge Bruce's sack record. But it requires an elite guy staying healthy for about two decades. 

I once thought Bruce's record was untouchable but with Gretzky's goal record in jeopardy it goes to show there's not such thing as a "safe" record any more.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's the roids.

or the constant weight lofting and supplements, etc. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No proof but just seemed like this guy was more steroid than athlete.  Probably a first ballot HOF inductee because before the injuries set in he was being compared to LT in terms of dominance on the defensive side of the ball. 

I have no idea if he took steroids or not.    But I have heard many NFL teammates and opponents talk about how impressive an athlete and football player.   I think he was blessed with amazing natural ability and has been a special athlete for his size, even by NFL standards, and a super hard worker.   

His best years you can put against any d-lineman that ever played.  I thinks he's the only player with more than 1  20-sack season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He just wants to spend more time with Kyler playing call of duty.

Kyler Murray is a waste of talent picked at #1 overall in the 2019 draft. On the short side for a QB but his tremendous physical talent can't balance out his poor intangibles. The guy wasn't born on 3rd base, he was born on home ***** plate and he isn't putting the effort into his profession to max out his capabilities. It is amazing to me that NFL franchises often don't do the deep homework that will give them the indication of how much effort a player is going to put into his own development, yet they are willing to spend the kind of money that will financially cripple them if they make a mistake on a player. It seems like way too many high draft picks fail to live up to their draft status because of work effort and attitude. While Darnold and Mayfield may be able to salvage their careers, other recent high draft picks like Mac Jones and Zach Wilson are looking like they don't have what it takes to lead their teams. Bills fans should be thankful that McBeane did their due diligence on a raw QB like Allen with a high physical ceiling and determined that he was the kind of guy that was motivated enough to diligently work on his craft. Just as important but in a different way is Josh's tremendous leadership skills that have his teammates praising him and willing to go through a wall for the guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.