NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

6 hours ago, RG Murdock said:

Horrible news. The picture from these streaming services is horrid. The pictures are a bit blurry, and seem jumpy and skittish at times. I'm watching TNF on Prime currently, and the live video has poor quality. I have OLED, a good connection. I notice the same thing when I visit folks, or go to sports bars. Live streaming content sucks... Period.     

I cut cable years ago and stream my Bills games.   Mostly the quality is good.

I'm slightly surprised at the widespread disdain for Directv.

I've had it for around 24 years for the Sunday Ticket.  Living outside of WNY it's been a godsend for this Bills fan.

Customer service has been lat times lousy or great, depending on the rep.  If you know enough to escalate and get past tier 1 customer service, you can usually get a knowledgeable rep who knows how to handle the situation.  Overall, it's no better or worse than any other customer service outlet. 

I've enjoyed a great picture, time-shifting, multiple TVs, plenty of bandwidth for recorded content. Price? I've never had issues negotiating decent deals. I haven't paid for NFL ST in years, and currently pay $70/mo for 3 TV's for a package that includes NFL Network, HBO Max, ESPN, and most of the usual cable home fix it, cooking, and news stations.

I'm not sure streaming will provide all the same benefits.  If I'm busy prior to the start of a game, I have it recorded. I can come in an hour after start time and play from the beginning, skipping through commercials. Can I do that with streaming? Can I access the game again on Tuesday if I feel like watching again, or is that an entirely different service (NFL Game Pass?) I'd have to pay for in addition to NFLST?

As far as streaming goes, I'm skeptical that I'll have the same picture quality and stability I've had with Directv signals. I watched part of a Amazon game and was frustrated by occasional pixilating that interrupted the broadcast.

Don't know if it's just fashionable to hate Directv, but my personal experiences are mostly positive.  Wait until your internet service goes out one of these gamedays.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I've had it for around 24 years for the Sunday Ticket.  Living outside of WNY it's been a godsend for this Bills fan.

Customer service has been lat times lousy or great, depending on the rep.  If you know enough to escalate and get past tier 1 customer service, you can usually get a knowledgeable rep who knows how to handle the situation.  Overall, it's no better or worse than any other customer service outlet. 

I've enjoyed a great picture, time-shifting, multiple TVs, plenty of bandwidth for recorded content. Price? I've never had issues negotiating decent deals. I haven't paid for NFL ST in years, and currently pay $70/mo for 3 TV's for a package that includes NFL Network, HBO Max, ESPN, and most of the usual cable home fix it, cooking, and news stations.

I'm not sure streaming will provide all the same benefits.  If I'm busy prior to the start of a game, I have it recorded. I can come in an hour after start time and play from the beginning, skipping through commercials. Can I do that with streaming? Can I access the game again on Tuesday if I feel like watching again, or is that an entirely different service (NFL Game Pass?) I'd have to pay for in addition to NFLST?

As far as streaming goes, I'm skeptical that I'll have the same picture quality and stability I've had with Directv signals. I watched part of a Amazon game and was frustrated by occasional pixilating that interrupted the broadcast.

Don't know if it's just fashionable to hate Directv, but my personal experiences are mostly positive.  Wait until your internet service goes out one of these gamedays.

I mostly agree with this. I like my DVR and skimming past commercials the old fashioned way. I don't love streaming, but it is a great convenience to have. 

21 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

My only issue is it has become too expensive to justify keeping it plus no Sunday ticket. I'll miss the convenience. Never had issues with picture 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoMAn said:

You've been lucky to have a positive experience with Directv.  As for internet going down, I've been streaming for years and never have

many issues with that.  Living in Colorado I lost signal from Directv much more often than losing internet due to snow and rain.

• Agree 1

i will miss sunday ticket big time.  i program my remote favorites for the bills and lots of other games that day and do a lot of rapid switching during commercials.  also the nfl mix channels show all the games on one screen to see what the scores are. 

loading a new streaming channel takes ages in comparison.  i am sure it will cost more too.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Thank you for saying everything that I wanted to but did not feel like typing, lol.  I guess the ones that are happy with it either don't read this or don't care to complain.

I don't like watching Thursday Night Football due to its choppiness. I have a large house with a lot of large TVs, many different configurations and they have all B e en choppy. DirecTV,  for me, has always been crystal clear and smooth. Maybe once or twice a year in some crazy storm might lose the signal for a few but that has never happened during football, for me.

I have been pleasantly surprised streaming ESPN plus and hockey. It's been pretty good but not as good as satellite. Hopefully YouTube can improve upon that.

Having everything under one umbrella is worth it to me.  I have a great setup with DirecTV. Time marches on. I just hope it's not a step back

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:27 AM, SoMAn said:

Very well said.

I’ve had DTV since 2000, except for a literal week mid 2000’s when I left for TWC (I believe at the time). TWC ended up costing me more and picture quality was terrible. DTV really did a great job phasing in HD, with many channels having great quality back then.

Back then, DTV acted like a small business. Everyone was friendly, didn’t need to beg for SPIFFS.  Tech support was great, on-site techs were awesome.  Over the years that all started to fade. Customer service tanked, especially after ATT bought them. On site techs were handcuffed in what they did for no cost any longer such as fix a cable, swap gear.

I’m fiercely loyal when I feel well treated and get my money’s worth from whatever the product is. When I felt they didn’t care about customer service, I only stayed to get ST, and hopefully get it for free. Now that ST is gone, there is nothing left at DTV to stay. Customer service is basically the same across all services. No need for equipment, cables or dishes any longer.  And in the end, not paying them a premium for services I can get elsewhere cheaper.

If it’s anything at all like the current games on YTTV using the DVR:

if you want to join in say an hour after the game started, you have the options of joining live, start from beginning, or catch up with key plays. You can hold the fast forward & reverse buttons say on a Roku to move around, or you can click the ‘+15 seconds’ or ‘-15 seconds’ buttons on the interface. The DVR will save any recording for 9 months, after that it drops off.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Wait... There are different Red Zone channels?

Yeah, the NFL Network version and DirecTV's own version.

I found this on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_RedZone

"NFL RedZone (stylized as NFL RedZone from NFL Network) is an American sports television channel owned and operated by NFL Network since 2009. As a "special" game-day exclusive, it broadcasts on Sundays during the NFL regular season from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific), or when the last afternoon window game ends. RedZone provides "whip around" simulcast coverage of all Sunday afternoon games airing in-progress on CBS and Fox.

RedZone is based out of the NFL Network studios and is hosted by Scott Hanson,[1] and airs commercial-free. '

RedZone is offered by numerous cable providers, Dish Network, and Verizon Wireless smartphones, but specifically is not available on DirecTV, which offers its own version (Red Zone Channel hosted by Andrew Siciliano) as part of NFL Sunday Ticket."

Edited by chongli

Blows my mind that nobody in the mainstream has any idea about NFL Gamepass international edition. With a cheap VPN and an around $100/yr subscription directly through the NFL, you get a legitimate live platform with RedZone, no blackouts, and a solid interface.

It's so much better than the ad infested free streams, and you can share it with a group of friends without issue as long as they all know how to use a VPN.

Edited by Fetou
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Post the bill because I call complete BS on this price. Your equipment fees and taxes alone with 3 TVs is going to run you a minimum of $30 depending on you equipment. You obviously don't have genie2 system because that would run you about minimum $40 in equipment alone for 3 TV.

It's possible you have a short term discount you just got after overpaying. Even so that price is just not possible with what DTV does now. 

As for DTV their costs are horrendous, their service is less reliable than streaming, can't tell you how many times the satellite has gone out due to storms or DVR recordings murdered by a storm. Rain clouds roll in and buy bye... this is with updated latest and greatest 4k equip since i moved not long ago. 

Since AT&T bought them their pricing and customer service have gone to hell and they have competely stopped investing in technology. Their tech in my 12 or so years with them has gone from leading class to stale and behind order major providers. 

I was previously a critic of streaming platforms for live sports because the deliverability just wasn't there but the past couple years man has that really improved, streaming now putting DTV in the dirt. The deliverability and quality of the Amazon streams this year was outstanding. 

I can't wait to dump DTV later this month. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.