BROCK PURDY: for real or fools gold ?

Italian Bills

3 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Lance was the starter before he went down. That means he won the job over JimmyG.

Pretty obvious

JG went 7-3 and Purdy 5-0.  Lance was awful in 2 games as starter---and you think he deserves  the job.... because they made the decision to start him months ago.  

That makes no sense at all.  

He looks good. Even when he gets flustered and scrambles behind the line he never seems to make a bad play. He either finds a check down or throws it away. Of course the Shanhanan system is one of the most QB friendly out there. We will see how Brock looks when they need to rely on him for 40 attempts. But right now he's only having to drop back about 25-30 times a game. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

havent read the whole thread.  that being said,  is Purdy good or just fools gold?  hard to tell.  hes got a great cast around him.  2nd best OLine in the league protecting him.   is there enough game film out there on his tendancies yet though?  thats what happens to QBs at most levels,  especially in the pros.   coaches,  when they have the time,  sit down, and figure guys out.   what they like here,  what they always look for there.  that stuff.    im not sure thats happened yet.  its a wait and see for me.

The most impressive aspect of his game so far is his ability to buy time in the pocket and find the open man all the way through his progressions. 

But some of that is also the 49er offense. Lots of short, intermediate levels, built in check downs they routinely utilize. 

He's been really good playing within the system. What remains to be seen is if he can lead that last minute game drive where he has to make chunk play throws under pressure to go win it. 

But no one has been able to routinely stop the 49er system while beating their defense often enough to take a big lead. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Would you take Lawrence over Purdy, though? 

Lawrence has more pedigree,  so most would take him imo.   youve just seen more of Lawrence,  seen what he can do at a big time college team against big time college talent, in big games..   he's also playing on a much less talented team than Purdy.

does that mean Purdy cant be just as good,  of course not.  we dont really know what will happen.   Lawrence is the safer bet though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He looks good. Even when he gets flustered and scrambles behind the line he never seems to make a bad play. He either finds a check down or throws it away. Of course the Shanhanan system is one of the most QB friendly out there. We will see how Brock looks when they need to rely on him for 40 attempts. But right now he's only having to drop back about 25-30 times a game. 

49er QBs don't drop back over 40 times much (once this year).

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The most impressive aspect of his game so far is his ability to buy time in the pocket and find the open man all the way through his progressions. 

But some of that is also the 49er offense. Lots of short, intermediate levels, built in check downs they routinely utilize. 

He's been really good playing within the system. What remains to be seen is if he can lead that last minute game drive where he has to make chunk play throws under pressure to go win it. 

But no one has been able to routinely stop the 49er system while beating their defense often enough to take a big lead. 

He has out performed all other SF QBs in that system.  Is it because of CMC?  In CMC's 5 games on the 49ers before Purdy, they averaged 25 PPG.  In the 7 games they played together, they scored 40 PPG

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

Lawrence has more pedigree,  so most would take him imo.   youve just seen more of Lawrence,  seen what he can do at a big time college team against big time college talent, in big games..   he's also playing on a much less talented team than Purdy.

does that mean Purdy cant be just as good,  of course not.  we dont really know what will happen.   Lawrence is the safer bet though.

How did Lawrence do in the biggest games of his Sophomore and Junior years?

On 12/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, Simon said:

The 49ers instantly became a more dangerous team the minute he stepped on the field.

Did they?  I'm not sure.  There are too many other factors that almost coincide.

The biggest of them would be the trade for CMC.  I would say it took him a week or two, and the 49ers became a more dangerous team as soon as he was integrated into the offense.  He arrived Week 7, starting week 10 say (they had the Rams week 8 and looked great, but I'm not sure what that means; bye week 9).  Basically, the biggest help for Brock Purdy is that no one has really figured out how to shut down the 49ers run game since CMC arrived.

Then, Arik Armstead returned Week 13 - the same week Purdy started playing

I think Brock Purdy looks good, don't get me wrong.   Yes, he's supported by an amazing run game and YAC game - second in the league by 0.1 YPC.  And a competent QB on which the defense lacks film, is always going to be more dangerous than a competent QB whose tendencies are fully known.  He also clearly knows what he's seeing and where to go with the ball, and he's got enough arm to get the ball deep.

But MAN, what on earth defense were the Seasnakes putting on the field yesterday?   I was just watching going WTF was that?

I can tell you really like him, and I respect that, but I feel that it's too soon yet to tell who he is.  People were all over Mac Jones 12 games into his rookie year, after all.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Did they?  I'm not sure.  There are too many other factors that almost coincide.

The biggest of them would be the trade for CMC.  I would say it took him a week or two, and the 49ers became a more dangerous team as soon as he was integrated into the offense.  He arrived Week 7, starting week 10 say (they had the Rams week 8 and looked great, but I'm not sure what that means; bye week 9)

see the numbers above cited

Purdy is legit, imo.  HIs success shows how important mental toughness is in QB evaluations. You can just tell he has it. He doesn't panic.

He's surrounded by a great team, which helps. But I've seen enough situations where plays have broken down and he has come up big - I think he'll be the starter there, even when Lance makes it back.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Exactly. He looks good but came into the perfect situation. I'm not going to overreact.

Wouldn't it be nice to throw an easy 8 yard cross to someone and have them turn on the jets for a 71 yard touchdown? Has that ever happened in the Allen era? 

47 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Lance was the starter before he went down. That means he won the job over JimmyG.

Pretty obvious

C’mon…Lance was handed the job because he was the 3d overall pick and the team would look silly if they didn’t play him over a journeyman like Garappolo. He didn’t earn squat.

4 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Brock Purdy is the quintessential game manager QB. There were game manager QBs that won Super Bowls. Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson...

I’m not so sure, the kid is playing lights out, albeit with a real good team around him.  He appears better than Jimmy G in the same system.  To me, Jimmy is captain of the game manager team.  Purdy actually looks like he can make some plays.  For a guy in his 6th start in the NFL, as a rookie, in the playoffs, it’s pretty impressive what he is doing/has done.  I’m not ready to label him anything other than an absolute steal in the draft.

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I don’t know that I saw him make a truly jaw dropping play. His best throw was a td dropped in the corner of the end zone but even then he had to stop and set his feet. he’s got a great o line and weapons. 

that was a truly jaw dropping play that ended in a straight up drop of a perfectly placed ball

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

that was a truly jaw dropping play that ended in a straight up drop of a perfectly placed ball

When he scrambled out of two sacks and got two dump offs for TD's were impressive plays by a rookie.

My take is that yes, Brock is probably on the best team in the NFL as a rookie QB.  And also that his accuracy, poise and command of the pocket are extremely impressive for pick #241 or whatever he is.

IMO, the Brocketship has a higher trade value than any rookie or 2nd year QB not named Trevor Lawrence.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, boyst said:

Would you take Lawrence over Purdy, though? 

Of course. Greater upside. Purdy‘s accomplishment so far is already proving his floor is a competent starting QB. That’s significant considering half the teams in the league need one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.