OLIVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN A TURKEY LEG!!!

familykwi

8 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

While I have been pretty disappointed in Oliver overall, particularly given his draft position (and fully understand he had nothing to do with that), he has played much better lately.

Yet considering how underwhelming he has been for the last couple of years maybe we wait until he strings together a couple of these performances before we annoint him anything? If he can play like this for 4 or 5 games of the next 6 - sure I will completely pivot on him. Until this seems like a severe overreaction to Ed's performance yesterday. The reverse of the "Allen is terrible" crowd, I suppose.

Also, if we are being honest Ed played well against the back-ups to the back-ups of the Lions IOL. That should get acknowledged at some point.

The irony of some posters here who state "He is a beast this is his best game thus far" do not fully understand if he were a beast, he would have 13-14 games a year like this, not a handful or less. Simply stated you are not a "beast" if you perform in a single game so well, compared to your body of work, that it stands out.  A "beast" is someone who dominates game to game to game to game. No one with any football acumen can state that Ed has dominated for years now.

I get the excitement, I do as I am pleasantly surprised by Ed...but in the eyes of McD and others he has not earned any particular accolades as compared to some of our true stars, like Allen and Diggs. 

DaQuan had just an impactful game as Ed yesterday, where are those clamoring for that? Also, why diminish the Bills players themselves who shouted out "Settle" as McD was trying to get the 3rd game ball to give out (that eventually went to TBass)? Clearly we do not see what the Bills see. 

Finally, TBass absolutely deserved acknowledgement.  He is the leading scorer on the Bills over the last 2 games, if I recall correctly.

1.) There's no and I repeat no interior DL that's going to put up the stats Ed did yesterday for 13-14 games in a 17 game season. Not even the best to ever play the position, Aaron Donald

2.) While DaQuan had a good game, his impact was no where near the impact Ed had. Where's the safety(points), forced turnover, fumble recovery etc. If you take those plays out then their impact was similar, but we lose the game.

3.) A kicker is usually the leading scorer on the team. So Bass gets a turkey leg for doing what all other kickers do and missa pat?

4.) IMO Your past disappointment is clouding your judgment of just how impactful Oliver was yesterday. He was the single biggest reason we beat the Lions, with no one else even remotely close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

While I have been pretty disappointed in Oliver overall, particularly given his draft position (and fully understand he had nothing to do with that), he has played much better lately.

Yet considering how underwhelming he has been for the last couple of years maybe we wait until he strings together a couple of these performances before we annoint him anything? If he can play like this for 4 or 5 games of the next 6 - sure I will completely pivot on him. Until this seems like a severe overreaction to Ed's performance yesterday. The reverse of the "Allen is terrible" crowd, I suppose.

Also, if we are being honest Ed played well against the back-ups to the back-ups of the Lions IOL. That should get acknowledged at some point.

The irony of some posters here who state "He is a beast this is his best game thus far" do not fully understand if he were a beast, he would have 13-14 games a year like this, not a handful or less. Simply stated you are not a "beast" if you perform in a single game so well, compared to your body of work, that it stands out.  A "beast" is someone who dominates game to game to game to game. No one with any football acumen can state that Ed has dominated for years now.

I get the excitement, I do as I am pleasantly surprised by Ed...but in the eyes of McD and others he has not earned any particular accolades as compared to some of our true stars, like Allen and Diggs. 

DaQuan had just an impactful game as Ed yesterday, where are those clamoring for that? Also, why diminish the Bills players themselves who shouted out "Settle" as McD was trying to get the 3rd game ball to give out (that eventually went to TBass)? Clearly we do not see what the Bills see. 

Finally, TBass absolutely deserved acknowledgement.  He is the leading scorer on the Bills over the last 2 games, if I recall correctly.

This is gonna be unpopular, but it's right. He had a good game. One.

Let's see if he can do it again 

Ed turned it on, and has been solid. Jones/ Oliver and Settle really dug in deep this week.

Ed should have been eating this week. Hope coach took him to the side and let him know his effort and results were noticed.

Madden would have wanted a DT to get a turkey leg!

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

1.) There's no and I repeat no interior DL that's going to put up the stats Ed did yesterday for 13-14 games in a 17 game season. Not even the best to ever play the position, Aaron Donald

2.) While DaQuan had a good game, his impact was no where near the impact Ed had. Where's the safety(points), forced turnover, fumble recovery etc. If you take those plays out then their impact was similar, but we lose the game.

3.) A kicker is usually the leading scorer on the team. So Bass gets a turkey leg for doing what all other kickers do and missa pat?

4.) IMO Your past disappointment is clouding your judgment of just how impactful Oliver was yesterday. He was the single biggest reason we beat the Lions, with no one else even remotely close.

Points #2 & #4 above are 100% subjective. 

Regarding the safety, we won by 3 and did nothing with the ensuing possession.  I would respectfully reject your position on that.

I admitted previously I have a bias given how utterly disappointing, underwhelming, and non-existent Oliver has been since his arrival. I admitted that.  Yet, it is one game and he played against back-ups and back-ups to the back-ups, he should dominate.

Yet, I appreciate the respectful counter, to what I am thinking.

13 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

Points #2 & #4 above are 100% subjective. 

Regarding the safety, we won by 3 and did nothing with the ensuing possession.  I would respectfully reject your position on that.

I admitted previously I have a bias given how utterly disappointing, underwhelming, and non-existent Oliver has been since his arrival. I admitted that.  Yet, it is one game and he played against back-ups and back-ups to the back-ups, he should dominate.

Yet, I appreciate the respectful counter, to what I am thinking.

So you skip right over the forced fumble and recovery? It very well could've prevented points for the Lions as that was 2nd down on our 41. And it led to points as we scored our 2nd td of the game on the following drive.

And no #2 is not subjective, anyone not named you, who watched the game clearly saw Oliver having a much bigger impact on the game than DaQuan. Again your past judgment seems to be clouding your memory of what actually happened. 

Also you can only play against the players that line up against you. When Justin Jefferson went off on us a couple games ago and the crazy catch he had, I didn't hear a single media outlet say yeah but he did it against a depleted secondary or that the catch was against a guy who never plays and should've known to knock the ball down on 4th down. Instead of trying to catch it.

31 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Ed turned it on, and has been solid. Jones/ Oliver and Settle really dug in deep this week.

Ed should have been eating this week. Hope coach took him to the side and let him know his effort and results were noticed.

Madden would have wanted a DT to get a turkey leg!

Yeah, not just that Madden would've wanted a DL to get a turkey leg(100% agree), but he would've known Ed's play warranted it.

On 11/24/2022 at 4:43 PM, Starr Almighty said:

I know this is an odd thought. But if he hits the extra point the Lions would of been trying to score a TD. We may have lost in that scenario. They would of went for it on 4th down

A Bills fan worst nightmare...we all believe it woudl happen

Just rewatched the game and on that safety “drive” it wasn’t just the safety. 

On 1st down he blew up a run for a large loss, otherwise, they wouldn’t have been in the position to make a tackle for a safety. 

Oliver essentially ended that drive by himself (as much as one can in football). 

But even taking it one play prior, the reason the Lions had the ball was because of another JA Red Zone INT. 

The Lions had the momentum and Oliver snuffed it out. Yes, the O ended up punting, but the Lions lost all the momentum they had with that INT. 

It was a dominant series of plays for Oliver that absolutely should’ve earned him a leg on its own IMO. 

Edited by DaggersEOD
Autocorrect
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Just rewatched the game and on that safety “drive” it wasn’t just the safety. 

On 1st down he blew up a run for a large loss, otherwise, they wouldn’t have been in the position to make a tackle for a safety. 

bingo-tarantino.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So you skip right over the forced fumble and recovery? It very well could've prevented points for the Lions as that was 2nd down on our 41. And it led to points as we scored our 2nd td of the game on the following drive.

And no #2 is not subjective, anyone not named you, who watched the game clearly saw Oliver having a much bigger impact on the game than DaQuan. Again your past judgment seems to be clouding your memory of what actually happened. 

Also you can only play against the players that line up against you. When Justin Jefferson went off on us a couple games ago and the crazy catch he had, I didn't hear a single media outlet say yeah but he did it against a depleted secondary or that the catch was against a guy who never plays and should've known to knock the ball down on 4th down. Instead of trying to catch it.

Yeah, not just that Madden would've wanted a DL to get a turkey leg(100% agree), but he would've known Ed's play warranted it.

Please, both the points are absolutely subjective and just because you watch a replay or two does not mean you have infinite wisdom on this.  Again, yes, Ed played better.....played, finally, like the high pick he was.

I think most people, not named you, feel this has been a long time coming and he is overdue for play like this.  And yes, lining up against back ups or back ups to back ups matters.  The reverse is being made clear that our DE were not pressuring because Groot, Von, Epenesa are out.....ignoring the reverse, on that point, about Ed's play is sort of goofy. 

You know as well as everyone, Ed has been invisible when going against top-tier guards, in fact he has been put on his back and displaced easily when going against maulers of the IOL.  See the Tennessee game last year on Henry's big TD run, they ran. right. at. and. over. Ed.  Right there on tape.

All I am saying is that Ed needs to play like that consistently, through a game and for multiple games.  Finally, he did not win the game for us.  Did he play up to his expectations? Yes. Did he single handedly win the game? Absolutley not.  He contributed to the win.  His body of work is lacking. He will get his due, when he earns it over time.

It really is not that hard to understand. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, IndyMark said:

Please, both the points are absolutely subjective and just because you watch a replay or two does not mean you have infinite wisdom on this.  Again, yes, Ed played better.....played, finally, like the high pick he was.

I think most people, not named you, feel this has been a long time coming and he is overdue for play like this.  And yes, lining up against back ups or back ups to back ups matters.  The reverse is being made clear that our DE were not pressuring because Groot, Von, Epenesa are out.....ignoring the reverse, on that point, about Ed's play is sort of goofy. 

You know as well as everyone, Ed has been invisible when going against top-tier guards, in fact he has been put on his back and displaced easily when going against maulers of the IOL.  See the Tennessee game last year on Henry's big TD run, they ran. right. at. and. over. Ed.  Right there on tape.

All I am saying is that Ed needs to play like that consistently, through a game and for multiple games.  Finally, he did not win the game for us.  Did he play up to his expectations? Yes. Did he single handedly win the game? Absolutley not.  He contributed to the win.  His body of work is lacking. He will get his due, when he earns it over time.

It really is not that hard to understand. 

My discussion has been exclusively about this game and this game only. At no point did I mention what Ed has or has not done in other games. Yet you keep bringing it up thinking you know my thoughts on the matter, which I find hilarious. Time to get off that self-righteous horse you're on.

You don't even need to watch replays to know Ed dominated play after play in that game. Or do you just watch the ball and QB when watching live action? Heck you don't even need to know much about football for that matter.

Lastly you exaggerate over and over again to try and prove a failing point. At no time did I say Ed singlehandedly won the game or anything close to it. Show me where I said something even close to that(Here's a clue, it doesn't exist). Until then I'm done with ya.✌️

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

On 11/25/2022 at 2:47 AM, familykwi said:

Bass?  Bass?  Dude almost put us in overtime.  Oliver was a monster today and deserved to be fed.

End of story

Agreed.  Oliver was the star of the game.  He was consistently destroying the Lions.   Josh, Diggs and Bass only redeemed with some key plays down the stretch.

On 11/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, familykwi said:

Bass?  Bass?  Dude almost put us in overtime.  Oliver was a monster today and deserved to be fed.

End of story

Honestly missed extra point may have saved us... had he made it. Vikings would have had to go for it on 4th and 1 instead of taking the FG. They could have picked it up. Drained the clock and our timeouts and scored a TD and we never would have gotten the ball back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.