Sean McDermott is the current longest tenured NFL head coach without a Super Bowl appearance.

Chaos

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

It seems most people have this vision of a slow grind of building a team and then advancing step by step through the years.  In real life, it is more like catching lightning in a bottle.  In the NFL the lightning is getting the right Starting QB / HC combo.    During the super bowl era, this is a list of how long each Starting QB/HC combo was together before winning their first champhionship together.  A couple of notes, Lombardi/Starr won NFL championships together before the Super Bowl era. Stram/Dawson's first championship together was an AFL championship

Next, a review of this list makes a strong case that Joe Gibbs is the greatest coach in NFL history. 

The mean average of time together before winning the first championship in the super bowl era is 2.5  Years.  Only once were a coach and starting QB together for more than four years before winning their first championship together. (Ken Stabler/ John Madden in 1976).

In terms of winning a championship, the Bills are in nearly uncharted waters vs history.  

Season    QB-Coach Combo    First Championship Together
1966    Bart Starr*MVP-Vince Lombardi    Year 2
1967    Bart Starr*MVP-Vince Lombardi (2)    Year 2
1968    Joe Namath*MVP-Weeb Ewbank    Year 3
1969    Len Dawson*MVP-Hank Stram    Year 1
1970    Johnny Unitas*-Don McCafferty    Year 8
1971    Roger Staubach*MVP-Tom Landry    Year 2
1972    Bob Griese*-Don Shula    Year 3
1973    Bob Griese*-Don Shula (2)    Year 3
1974    Terry Bradshaw*-Chuck Noll    Year 4
1975    Terry Bradshaw*-Chuck Noll (2)    Year 4
1976    Ken Stabler*-John Madden    Year 6
1977    Roger Staubach*-Tom Landry (2)    Year 2
1978    Terry Bradshaw*MVP-Chuck Noll (3)    Year 4
1979    Terry Bradshaw*MVP-Chuck Noll (4)    Year 4
1980    Jim PlunkettMVP-Tom Flores    Year 1
1981    Joe Montana*MVP-Bill Walsh    Year 3
1982    Joe Theismann-Joe Gibbs    Year 2
1983    Jim Plunkett-Tom Flores (2)    Year 1
1984    Joe Montana*MVP-Bill Walsh (2)    Year 3
1985    Jim McMahon-Mike Ditka    Year 4
1986    Phil SimmsMVP-Bill Parcells    Year 3
1987    Doug WilliamsMVP-Joe Gibbs (2)    Year 2
1988    Joe Montana*-Bill Walsh (3)    Year 3
1989    Joe Montana*MVP-George Seifert    Year 1
1990    Jeff Hostetler-Bill Parcells (2)    Year 1
1991    Mark RypienMVP-Joe Gibbs (3)    Year 4
1992    Troy Aikman*MVP-Jimmy Johnson    Year 3
1993    Troy Aikman*-Jimmy Johnson (2)    Year 3
1994    Steve Young*MVP-George Seifert (2)    Year 3
1995    Troy Aikman*-Barry Switzer    Year 2
1996    Brett Favre*-Mike Holmgren    Year 3
1997    John Elway*-Mike Shanahan    Year 3
1998    John Elway*MVP-Mike Shanahan (2)    Year 3
1999    Kurt Warner*MVP-Dick Vermeil    Year 2
2000    Trent Dilfer-Brian Billick    Year 1
2001    Tom BradyMVP-Bill Belichick    Year 2
2002    Brad Johnson-Jon Gruden    Year 1
2003    Tom BradyMVP-Bill Belichick (2)    Year 2
2004    Tom Brady-Bill Belichick (3)    Year 2
2005    Ben Roethlisberger-Bill Cowher    Year 2
2006    Peyton Manning*MVP-Tony Dungy    Year 4
2007    Eli ManningMVP-Tom Coughlin    Year 3
2008    Ben Roethlisberger-Mike Tomlin    Year 2
2009    Drew BreesMVP-Sean Payton    Year 3
2010    Aaron RodgersMVP-Mike McCarthy    Year 3
2011    Eli ManningMVP-Tom Coughlin (2)    Year 3
2012    Joe FlaccoMVP-John Harbaugh    Year 4
2013    Russell Wilson-Pete Carroll    Year 2
2014    Tom BradyMVP-Bill Belichick (4)    Year 2
2015    Peyton Manning*-Gary Kubiak    Year 1
2016    Tom BradyMVP-Bill Belichick (5)    Year 2
2017    Nick FolesMVP-Doug Pederson    Year 1
2018    Tom Brady-Bill Belichick (6)    Year 2
2019    Patrick MahomesMVP-Andy Reid    Year 2
2020    Tom BradyMVP-Bruce Arians    Year 2
2021    Matthew Stafford-Sean McVay    Year 1

This is a much better post than your OP. I haven't fact checked all your numbers but I will assume they are correct. Putting it this way I see what you mean with Reid having quick success with the Chiefs with Mahomes since it took Reid to his 7th year to win the Super Bowl with the Chiefs. Now of course McDermott is in a different situation because the Bills already have their franchise QB. Allen's not going anywhere. 

This is a pretty concerning list if I am McDermott and want to hold onto my job. It all boils down to expectations. The greater the expectations the greater the floor on having to clear the minimum expectation. Right now the Bills probably have the highest expectation floor in all of football. Let's face it, it's nearly Thanksgiving and right now the Bills do have a very real chance of not winning the division. Don't win the division and don't win a playoff game this year when the expectation is at a minimum the AFC championship game and maybe more likely a Super Bowl appearance, that is how a really good coach gets bounced. 

You do have a guy like Sean Payton currently looking for a job. IMO, Sean Payton is one of the more over-rated coaches in NFL history. But my opinion also doesn't mean much at all in NFL executive circles.

But yeah, just look at the numbers in this new post by the OP. There's no question they should be concerning for McDermott who is now in his 5th year with Allen. We should break it down more though. How many teams tossed the HC aside and went on to win a super bowl with the same franchise QB but with a new coach? Based on the above data we know that super bowl would have been won between year 1 and year 4 in nearly every case but how many of those cases are there, with again, the same QB since we know Allen isn't going anywhere?

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

The only other way I would also look at this is that Allen was such a raw QB prospect coming out of the draft and taking a meteoritic rise in his third season I would lean towards giving McDermott a pass in years 1 and 2 with Allen since realistically the Bills were not winning a super bowl in either of those two seasons. If we are okay with that assumption than we can view this season of McDermott/Allen as their 3rd season. That logic also makes sense to me because it would mean next season is the true make or break season for the McDermott/Allen era as it would be year #4. And really, the only way I could see McDermott not back next season is if the Bills miss the playoffs this year entirely. Even not winning the division and getting bounced in the first year I think McDermott would come back for a final prove it year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

It seems most people have this vision of a slow grind of building a team and then advancing step by step through the years.  In real life, it is more like catching lightning in a bottle.  In the NFL the lightning is getting the right Starting QB / HC combo.    During the super bowl era, this is a list of how long each Starting QB/HC combo was together before winning their first champhionship together.  A couple of notes, Lombardi/Starr won NFL championships together before the Super Bowl era. Stram/Dawson's first championship together was an AFL championship

Next, a review of this list makes a strong case that Joe Gibbs is the greatest coach in NFL history. 

The mean average of time together before winning the first championship in the super bowl era is 2.5  Years.  Only once were a coach and starting QB together for more than four years before winning their first championship together. (Ken Stabler/ John Madden in 1976).

In terms of winning a championship, the Bills are in nearly uncharted waters vs history.  

So we won't win the SB. Got it. Thanks for spoiling the ending. I was going to watch how it plays out. & On that bitter disappointment guess I'll get back to shoveling snow instead.

14 hours ago, chongli said:

Those 5 have been head coaches for much longer than McD. A better question would be when did each of the above get their first SB wins?

The first three got their first (only) Super Bowl wins in their second or third NFL head coaching gigs.

McDermott: Super Bowl winner, Carolina Panthers, Super Bowl LX, February 2026.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Last year was the shot for that.

18 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This is a much better post than your OP. I haven't fact checked all your numbers but I will assume they are correct. Putting it this way I see what you mean with Reid having quick success with the Chiefs with Mahomes since it took Reid to his 7th year to win the Super Bowl with the Chiefs. Now of course McDermott is in a different situation because the Bills already have their franchise QB. Allen's not going anywhere. 

This is a pretty concerning list if I am McDermott and want to hold onto my job. It all boils down to expectations. The greater the expectations the greater the floor on having to clear the minimum expectation. Right now the Bills probably have the highest expectation floor in all of football. Let's face it, it's nearly Thanksgiving and right now the Bills do have a very real chance of not winning the division. Don't win the division and don't win a playoff game this year when the expectation is at a minimum the AFC championship game and maybe more likely a Super Bowl appearance, that is how a really good coach gets bounced. 

You do have a guy like Sean Payton currently looking for a job. IMO, Sean Payton is one of the more over-rated coaches in NFL history. But my opinion also doesn't mean much at all in NFL executive circles.

But yeah, just look at the numbers in this new post by the OP. There's no question they should be concerning for McDermott who is now in his 5th year with Allen. We should break it down more though. How many teams tossed the HC aside and went on to win a super bowl with the same franchise QB but with a new coach? Based on the above data we know that super bowl would have been won between year 1 and year 4 in nearly every case but how many of those cases are there, with again, the same QB since we know Allen isn't going anywhere?

The combos shown in yellow are where the QB started before the coach.  The ones in orange are where the QB and Coach started same season (far more common than I would have guessed).  Its fairly clear that new head coaches with established franchise QBs have IN THE PAST won more super bowls than teams sticking with a coach for many years, one the QB is place. 

image.thumb.png.d2dfb9cda55c072c5b7f2decded1b34c.png

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Patience?  We've been to the playoffs four of the last five years after patiently waiting 17 years.  We'd be nuts to fire McDermott.

I agree. Fully. But if he can't get even close to the SB with this current roster, it won't look good. Even in those 3 losses, it was easy to tell the Bills had more talent overall, even with all the injuries.

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I agree. Fully. But if he can't get even close to the SB with this current roster, it won't look good. Even in those 3 losses, it was easy to tell the Bills had more talent overall, even with all the injuries.

Disagree we have more talent overall than any Chiefs team we have played so far.

There is a sizable Bills fan contingent that still is upset over the loss of Tyrod Taylor as their starting QB!  They always believe in him SO MUCH!  

If he can't get it done an McDermott goes, fans will get over it.

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

This could be right. On the other hand a good percentage of the last several super bowls have been coaches new to their teams (McVay, Reid, Shanahan, Taylor).  

I do not think he ever did. Which is why I gave Mcdermott the plus sign designation in Marvin Lewis + . Norv Turner on the Chargers might be a better comp. 

Reid was on the chiefs for 6 years before a Super Bowl appearance.

2013-2018 were no super bowl years. Really says something about Chiefs fans patience 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

True but we also beat the three other AFC division leaders at the moment so you have to give McDermott and staff credit for that.  You also can't fault the coaching staff for an under throw to McKenzie on 4th and goal against the Fins and a fumble in their own end zone that cost us the game against the Vikings.  That's on Josh.  He makes either of those plays and we're 7-2 and/or 8-1 not having this conversation.

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I suspect your seat is always hot. Or your head. 

What is the difference?

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

True but we also beat the three other AFC division leaders at the moment so you have to give McDermott and staff credit for that.  You also can't fault the coaching staff for an under throw to McKenzie on 4th and goal against the Fins and a fumble in their own end zone that cost us the game against the Vikings.  That's on Josh.  He makes either of those plays and we're 7-2 and/or 8-1 not having this conversation.

Sure you can.  Just be an irrational ranter.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

This is actually weird!

Josh and McD will be the second ones!

Not sue it is weird. It seems to indicate that when owners think they have a potential Super Bowl winning QB they only wait about 1/3 of said QBs career before trying another route. 

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Not sue it is weird. It seems to indicate that when owners think they have a potential Super Bowl winning QB they only wait about 1/3 of said QBs career before trying another route. 

Kelly and Levy made their first Super Bowl together after in their fifth year following an AFC Championship game loss in '88 and a divisional round loss in '89.  We may lose the next four Super Bowls.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Ah. We must need a new Quarterback.

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Patience?  We've been to the playoffs four of the last five years after patiently waiting 17 years.  We'd be nuts to fire McDermott.

That’s all that needs to be said, really.

He’s still there because he gets results. If not, he would have been fired already. And look at that top 5 group. They were HC’s decades longer, and other than Bellichick they don’t exactly have a collection of rings….and BB could only do it with Brady. It’s hard to win a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.