Sean McDermott is the current longest tenured NFL head coach without a Super Bowl appearance.

Chaos

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think its funny that people thumbs down or puke on the first post in the thread which expresses no opinions and simply lists out a series of facts.  A lot of people don't like facts. 

I think your OP pointed out some valid realities of how you can be the victim of your own success. Higher achievements lead to higher expectations. Whenever expectations are not met a coach can start to get on the hot seat. Even if they are winning every year. I think Mike McCarthy is the perfect example of that. Super Bowl winning coach who continually head the Packers winning the division and sometimes the #1 seed. Even a Super Bowl victory ultimately couldn't save him.

However, your "aside" is rather ridiculous and pointless if I am being honest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Patience?  We've been to the playoffs four of the last five years after patiently waiting 17 years.  We'd be nuts to fire McDermott.

perspective is a hell of a thing. Someone could argue the playoffs mean little and we are nearing a 30 year run without a Super Bowl appearance and franchise history lacking any Super Bowl wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

The fact is too many fans have low esteem and their only defense is the Bills sucked for a while before him. Pretty bad reason. 

Some fans just want to be relevant.  Others want to win. It's that simple. 

The defense is a very small minority of new head coaches in the NFL put up double digit winning seasons four of their first five years.  The Bills drought showed how rare it is to find a coach like McDermott after going through six separate head coaches.

29 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I’m not saying he’s perfect or one of the elite coaches in the league, but there’s no denying the tremendous positive impact he’s had on this franchise. If he were to be fired, he would be the unanimous #1 candidate for every team looking for a new HC.

He has had a good impact on the franchise. My concern is that he is the Kirk Cousins of coaches.  Better than obvious replacements, but not likely to win a championship. 

• Like (+1) 2

There’s also coaches like Doug Pederson, Jon Gruden, John Fox who were rather new to teams and fairly one and done. McD/Beane I believe are shooting for a tad more. 
Also what’s Tomlin done in his tenure, how many McV, The Bengals are struggle with super bowl hangover…

last point, who do you replace McD with? 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

The defense is a very small minority of new head coaches in the NFL put up double digit winning seasons four of their first five years.  The Bills drought showed how rare it is to find a coach like McDermott after going through six separate head coaches.

How many Superbowls does he have in the Sports Almanac??

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

Do you want to talk about how 3 of those 5 super bowl winning coaches have had less playoff sucess since mcdermott joined the Bills or would that not help your point?

Could add the fourths success has diminished considerably since his QB left town also. That’s a big help to the cause. 

15 minutes ago, section122 said:

Do you want to talk about how 3 of those 5 super bowl winning coaches have had less playoff sucess since mcdermott joined the Bills or would that not help your point?

Its not a point. The original post is just facts. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

I’m not saying he’s perfect or one of the elite coaches in the league, but there’s no denying the tremendous positive impact he’s had on this franchise. If he were to be fired, he would be the unanimous #1 candidate for every team looking for a new HC.

lets say it’s 2024 and Belicheck is retired. McDermott gets fired and goes to NE. How scared are you?

39 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

McDermott has three seasons of double digit wins. We went 9-7 his first year that broke the drought. 

Undeniably the best coach we've had since Marv. 

Is he good enough to win a SB ? I guess we'll see.

I think it's pretty concerning he has a top 3 QB on a rookie contract and hasn't made the SB yet. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

He seems on pass to be Marvin Lewis + 

You realize Marvin Lewis went 0-7 in the playoffs, right?

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I think its funny that people thumbs down or puke on the first post in the thread which expresses no opinions and simply lists out a series of facts.  A lot of people don't like facts. 

In his current tenure Andy Reid got his first super bowl appearance quite early. Chiefs fans did not wait long. 

Tell me, how long did it take Andy Reid to actually win one?

The fact is- we’ve had nothing but terrible coaches the last 25 years. Now we have a very good coach- but we have an elite all world QB- so the expectation is super bowl or bust.  So we’re in a predicament.  Do we risk moving on from the not yet great head coach and risk messing up what seems to be a good thing in order to find someone better?  

If we fall on our face this year I’d be in favor of firing him as long as we’re replacing him with a great coach.  I wouldn’t want to fire him if we replaced him with a first time HC

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I think it's pretty concerning he has a top 3 QB on a rookie contract and hasn't made the SB yet. 

If we fail to go there this year (assuming we're not injury rattled beyond repair) then it's definitely a worthwhile conversation.  The only way I'd make the change if I'm Pegula though is if you get a proven offensive minded head coach like Sean Payton.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Just praising the Bills fans for their patience. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

In his current tenure Andy Reid got his first super bowl appearance quite early. Chiefs fans did not wait long. 

Thats because people know what you are trying to do with this thread.  You dont need to express your opinion in the OP for people to see through it and know what its about.

Andy Reid got his first super bowl with the Chiefs in year 7.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.