NFL Week #9 - 11/6/22 GAMEDAY Bills at Jets Pregame Thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

15 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So what you actually meant to say was the def line needs to have a better game than last week… it’s ok though, we all make mistakes 

Nope, defensive line was good last week allowing the LB's to shoot the gap and make the tackle, but only Milano made those tackles, the other not so much. But Edmunds has been good this year until last week. Hopefully he has his head in the game this week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3

9 minutes ago, Flucod said:

Nope, defensive line was good last week allowing the LB's to shoot the gap and make the tackle, but only Milano made those tackles, the other not so much. But Edmunds has been good this year until last week. Hopefully he has his head in the game this week.

The DL actually didn't have a great game vs. the Packers.  There's a good breakdown somewhere, I'll try and dig it up but it's in the postgame thread and I don't have a lot of energy to find it since That was Then, This is Now.  Jones was letting himself get turned where he normally doesn't, Jordan Phillips was leaving his gap to try for a sack*** instead of defending the run, etc etc.

Which are the same problems we had last year when the LB didn't look as good - the DL wasn't as good.

TBH, and to McDermott's references to putting the players in better position to succeed - in the 2nd half, the Bills kept figuring GB would play to win, and pass.  So we kept giving them light boxes and playing pass first. 

Plus, frankly, when we were up 24-7 at the half, I think the team kind of relaxed.  I'm sure McD wasn't happy about that.  At all.

EDIT: ***which is what he did in 2019, and is one of the reasons we let him walk

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Flucod said:

You hit the nail on the head…He “needs to get his head in the game” this week….oh….ok

lol

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The DL actually didn't have a great game vs. the Packers.  There's a good breakdown somewhere, I'll try and dig it up but it's in the postgame thread and I don't have a lot of energy to find it since That was Then, This is Now.  Jones was letting himself get turned where he normally doesn't, Jordan Phillips was leaving his gap to try for a sack instead of defending the run, etc etc.

Which are the same problems we had last year when the LB didn't look as good - the DL wasn't as good.

TBH, and to McDermott's references to putting the players in better position to succeed - in the 2nd half, the Bills kept figuring GB would play to win, and pass.  So we kept giving them light boxes and playing pass first. 

Plus, frankly, when we were up 24-7 at the half, I think the team kind of relaxed.  I'm sure McD wasn't happy about that.  At all.

DaQuan had his worst game as a pro.  He was getting moved.  DaQuan has been a rock, except Green Bay

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Looks like this is shaping up to be a bigtime bash edmunds game already 😂

I hope not, I like the guy and defended him the last few years, just the GB was awful, play after play. To be fair, there was a lot of poor play last week. Even with the the mediocre offense of the JETS, this can easily get to be a close game if you come out with the same type of effort. JETS are a lot better team then GB.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Looks like a rainy morning over in East Rutherford.  Is it supposed to break in time for the game?

In a word....No.  But it's not supposed to be more than a light rain/drizzle. 

Hope the Bills were doing some Wet Ball drills just 'cuz, and also hope the receivers ditch those gloves if they need to, and don't have the dropsies early like they did vs. Baltimore.  Receivers love their glovies and misty/drizzly weather is where it's hardest for them to make the call to take them off.

For those who don't know, the gloves have a tacky silicon or neoprene surface that helps immensely with hauling in a dry or damp football, but when the gloves themselves get wet, they become slick and work against the receiver's grip.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Flucod said:

I hope not, I like the guy and defended him the last few years, just the GB was awful, play after play. To be fair, there was a lot of poor play last week. Even with the the mediocre offense of the JETS, this can easily get to be a close game if you come out with the same type of effort. JETS are a lot better team then GB.

Edmunds did have a pass defense and 16 tackles last week, 13 of which were solo.  Does that count for anything?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Edmunds did have a pass defense and 16 tackles last week, 13 of which were solo.  Does that count for anything?

Not when they are 7 to ten yards down field. All tackles are not the same. 

He has played well this season until last week. He really was bad. He took horrible angles and was blocked several yards downfield on multiple occasions. 

Two things can be true. He has played well and he had a bad game. 

Let's hope he has a good game today without Milano on the field. 

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, Flucod said:

29 minutes ago, Flucod said:

were we watching the same game?

One Stat Recap: Tremaine Edmunds leads defense in stout outing

It was not the prettiest game, but the Buffalo Bills still managed to beat the Green Bay Packers by double digits on Sunday Night Football. A lot of that was due to a strong performance from the defense, which started with their leader—linebacker Tremaine Edmunds.

Edmunds was all over the field Sunday night, racking up 16 total tackles, 13 solo and three assisted. Those 13 solo tackles tied for second most by Bill since at least 1994 (that’s as far back as consistent tackle data goes). He finished second to London Fletcher’s 15 solo tackles against the New York Jets in October 2004.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Slow and small is what I saw in the PS.

But that's kind of what was said about Milano, who made himself into a Beast.

Of course, something to the argument that "make yourself into" is what you expect Round 5 to need, not so much round 3.....

Anyway, I'm wondering if the news that Bernard will get the start for Milano came from a source inside the Bills?  On the depth chart, Baylon Spector is listed as Milano's backup but, when Milano missed time vs the Steelers it was Bernard who came in for him.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Not when they are 7 to ten yards down field. All tackles are not the same. 

He has played well this season until last week. He really was bad. He took horrible angles and was blocked several yards downfield on multiple occasions. 

Two things can be true. He has played well and he had a bad game. 

Let's hope he has a good game today without Milano on the field. 

I’m not saying he played well, but did he really have most of his tackles 7-10 yards down the field, or are you just rolling with the same argument that had been used in the past and just assumed it’s true here? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

But that's kind of what was said about Milano, who made himself into a Beast.

Of course, something to the argument that "make yourself into" is what you expect Round 5 to need, not so much round 3.....

Anyway, I'm wondering if the news that Bernard will get the start for Milano came from a source inside the Bills?  On the depth chart, Baylon Spector is listed as Milano's backup but, when Milano missed time vs the Steelers it was Bernard who came in for him.

I do not think that Milano was ever seen as slow.  Certainly not as slow as Bernard appeared.   I thought Dodson was the first man up, but Coach Frazier and Coach McDermott have earned my trust.  

3 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I do not think that Milano was ever seen as slow.  Certainly not as slow as Bernard appeared.   I thought Dodson was the first man up, but Coach Frazier and Coach McDermott have earned my trust.  

Dodson backs up Edmunds.  Bernad backs up Milano.  It has been that way since preseason.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2