Blitz: your thoughts ?

Italian Bills

They will likely get a lot of pressure with 4, leaving 7 guys dropping back to fight for Wilson's likely INTs. There will be a few time that I think they throw a 5th guy into the pass rush to take Wilson by surprise an possibly force a mistake. Feels like a game we could see Taron blitz from his spot around the edge or Hamlin one or twice up the middle.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

As we all know we are one of the teams that blitz less. 

Don’t you think that vs the Jets we could change this and go for Wilson much more ? 

Could it be a good strategy ? 

Actually we are 7th in number of sacks (19) tied with the Chiefs and Commanders, Cowboys first with 29. 

Only the French blitz

I don't think they will.  For all the pillorying of Zach Wilson this week, he can and will throw the ball around.  Buffalo has been pretty good rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage.  The knock on Wilson is he is a one-read pony.  So if you can take away the Conklin and Wilson targets he gets erratic.  My guess is the Packers, Broncos and Patriots all blitzed him.  The JETS gave up seven sacks total in those 3 games.  That's three good defenses in a row.  With the exception of last weekend (and I know they don't have Hall now), he seems to have held up.   Robinson has had a second week to learn the offense and Carter is back there as well.  Should be interesting to see if the Jets believe they can do what the Packers did with a run heavy offense.

• Agree 1

No need to fix something that’s not broken. One of the reasons Dane and Benford and Elam have been so successful is they have not been left in 1 on 1 matchups down the field. If you wanna blitz more you’re probably exposing them to more penalties and big plays given up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m not as quick to blow off the idea. The Bills have played against top tier QBs  like Mahomes, Rodgers, Lamar, and Stafford this year. Zach Wilson has nowhere near the skill set or experience of any of those guys. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bills defensive brain trust force him to do and see things he’s not expecting. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

Just a personal opinion but I prefer the Bills D to be more aggressive and blitz often.   It makes for more exciting games.   Either we get in the backfield all day long and rack up the sacks and TFLs or we give up the big plays and the game turns into a shootout which we win anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.