How in the hell did Nathaniel Hackett become an NFL head coach?

eball

2 hours ago, Bandito said:

The world is all about who you know. Don't hate the player, hate the game

In the past I’ve read one of the biggest indicators of success, is who you know. In my personal experience I’ve hired someone I’ve worked with before vs someone I didn’t, simply because I knew what I was getting and I was happy to have it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tanoros said:

In the past I’ve read one of the biggest indicators of success, is who you know. In my personal experience I’ve hired someone I’ve worked with before vs someone I didn’t, simply because I knew what I was getting and I was happy to have it. 

Simple as that. Connections and networking ; it’s how the world works. That’s fine , but in the case of Hackett he’s just not very good at what he does. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That may be the case but the skill set needed to be a good head coach is far different than that of a coordinator, which is where many teams fail...Those type of skills are NOT easily obtained if a person doesn't have them...leadership, communication, CEO mentality, etc... a good portion of your success as a head coach is not directly related to football per se...much more is related to managing and leadership on a week to week basis.

Correct, but all you have to base that on is your interview with the coach and what people he has worked with are saying about him.   With how bad the Broncos have been at making that decision its not surprising they chose wrong again.  My point is, Hackett isn't purely a product of nepotism.  It has helped, but overall I wouldnt say the guy has failed at the opportunities he has been given.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That may be the case but the skill set needed to be a good head coach is far different than that of a coordinator, which is where many teams fail...Those type of skills are NOT easily obtained if a person doesn't have them...leadership, communication, CEO mentality, etc... a good portion of your success as a head coach is not directly related to football per se...much more is related to managing and leadership on a week to week basis.

This is a common failure for any industry though. It’s so common to see people hired into a leadership role because of their knowledge/skill doing X job very well. However, like you mention, leading a group of people is very different from actually doing the work. This failure in hiring the right person (people leader) definitely isn’t exclusive to the NFL. I’ve seen it all the time in my career (construction). 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This dude could get fired after this week if he loses to the Jags.  The new ownership group didn't hire him. He looks like he is WAY over his head and has no idea how to right the ship.

Some people don't have the proper skills to be a HC.  He clearly doesn't.  Sometimes it takes a while to figure out if a coach actually does have it, but you can usually tell right away when a coach doesn't.  And he doesn't.

Typically it's someone who's a great coordinator who just can't Hackett as a HC... he shouldn't even be in the league as a coordinator.

Only Bills fans knew he would flop. He was a legitimate candidate that Broncos fans were excited about.

Unfortunately, that's just how it goes. Teams latch on to the first guy they find who has a little success (regardless of the reason) and can string together a proper sentence in an interview.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Only Bills fans knew he would flop. He was a legitimate candidate that Broncos fans were excited about.

Unfortunately, that's just how it goes. Teams latch on to the first guy they find who has a little success (regardless of the reason) and can string together a proper sentence in an interview.

Especially if they on offense recently.

48 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

So the rebuttal to an argument about NFL teams hiring the same type of guys is to point to an example of 8 white dudes who were hired as HC's?

And 5 of the 8 came from the Sean McVay "inner-circle" of frat boys. 🤣

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

The reason why Hackett specifically is looked fondly upon by the NFL Community is because his father was looked fondly upon by the NFL Community. His father coached in the NFL for like 20 years and made all kinds of connections for junior. The tea leaves should have been on the wall cause Paul Hackett was a severely overrated coach as well in his day but the NEPOTISM of it all played a huge factor is Nathaniel Hackett being where he is today. 

Great question! 

He was hired to be the Packers OC and yet he didn't call the offensive plays at all.

He is a great guy who the players really like and I'd like to think he helped with the game planning... but who knows?

I was kinda shocked when I read he was hired as the Broncos HC. I can only think a big reason was that he would be there when GB traded Rodgers to Denver...which never happened. Instead they gave up the farm for Wilson. 

The guy sucks so bad at setting up an offense he is making Russell Wilson look like a bum. 

I highly doubt he lasts the season as HC.

The 2-5 Denver Broncos with a top 5 defense is going to waste because the offense stinks so badly. 

4 hours ago, eball said:

Seriously.  The ONLY answer is nepotism and the old white boy network.  He has done literally nothing in his NFL coaching career to suggest he was prepared or competent to be an NFL head coach, and that is being displayed for all to see.

S-h-i-t like this is why Brian Flores' lawsuit is a legitimate concern for the NFL.

Disgusting.

See Kyle Shanahan, Rex/Rob Ryan

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They're running that old marrone offense too much.  Run-Run-Pass-Punt

I was at the Thursday night game in Miami. Incredible atmosphere, Bills still had season despite the Bryce Brown KC loss, and a great defense... I was never more enraged after a game in my life. Swearing in a four hour car ride back to Ft Myers at my aunt's house about how bad and pathetic the offense and coaching was and why can't we have an offense that actually attacks.

Thank you Josh.

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

I always thought it was strange - when he was in Buffalo the only positive thing I ever heard about him was his high 'energy'.   Then he went to Jax, and they talked about his high energy.  Then GB and how Rogers liked him and his energy.  I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about his actual knowledge and, you know, actual coaching ability

It's high energy.

4 hours ago, B-Large said:

The Broncos are where the Bills were 10-12 years ago…. Chest deep in folly, and making dumb decisions.  They’re almost mirror image of the Bills with 15 straight losses to a division opponent, since I doubt they beat the Chiefs any time soon.

The Broncos needed stability, they should have called Gary Kubiak and begged him to come back.  3 first time head coaches with 2 on the payroll for a few more years. 

I knew when the Hackett didn’t play the starters all preseason with a brand new QB he was still incompetent.  

Was Kubiak really that good of a coach? He was obviously better than Hack, but he was an offensive coach and his offenses were bottom half. He never really did much in Houston either.

It seems to me that the reason you won that Super Bowl was because of Wade Phillip's defense, which was stellar.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.