Genesis of your screen name

AlfaBill

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Great thread idea OP…

Mine came from business.  Had a business mentor when I was 22 years old who had a motivational poster of a wolf that said be the alpha, lead the pack or something like that on it.  So he used to always talk about that and to lead not follow…be your own boss…take charge of your life.  It was more about being accountable and an Alpha in your life than being an Alpha to others.  

A couple years later I got hired at a mortgage company when I was like 24 and we had 15 mortgage brokers in our office.  I’m 6’4” so people would often call me “big dog” because I’m tall.  

First full month I was there, the whole office closed 18 loans, and I closed 15 of them and the manager started calling me “Alpha Dog” (a play off “Big Dog”).  Second month I was there the whole office closed 16 loans and I closed 14 of them.  There was no third month there because I quit and opened my own mortgage company after those 2 months.  

I have been self employed ever since for past 20+ years.  But the nickname I liked because it brought me back to those early days with an early business mentor.  

So for a little while I started using the name “Alphadawg” as a web site login name for fantasy sports.  And created this account back then too.  Funny, haven’t used it as a login in a least 10+ years now, plus most sites now ask for your email instead of a handle anyway.  

But the name Alphadawg was always more of a homage to someone I saw as an early business mentor and business mentality.  My dad was my original business mentor and had by far the biggest impact on me, but this mentor came along like 4 years after my dad was murdered and just added more fuel to the fire my dad had already started.  

Funny thing is, I only worked for this mentor for like 6 months, but I learned a lot more than I realized then by being around him during that short stint.  Although, a lot of what I learned didn’t even become apparent to me until after I was gone and starting my own businesses.

Agree! This was a great thread!

3 hours ago, Ponch said:

Stay Golden! 

@Ponch. My PonyBoy screen name is not even close to The Outsiders. It's a funny story, but I can't share it on this board. 

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

We had to do fake elections back in grammar school in the 80's, and our group came up with the Mushy Peaches Party as just something meaningless and juvenile.  Have used it as my team name for football pools and other assorted nonsense ever since

Geez, you’re sort of a pioneer.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Playing football in the neighborhood growing up, EVERYBODY was Bobby Chandler. Make a diving catch? “BOBBY CHANDLER!’. Toe drag catch at the sideline or end line of the endzone? “BOBBY CHANDLER!” 3 reasons; like every kid in the ‘hood, he was smallish & white & then he was Great!

Yeah but I'm pretty sure I was the FIRST neighborhood Bobby Chandler (in my mind at the time)

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, skibum said:

When I set up this account, I was many years deep into livin' the dream in the northern Rockies. Another many years have passed, though, and that handle is now totally inaccurate! But I'll always be a ski bum at heart.

Where were you living? I spent 11 years living the ski bum lifestyle in resort towns.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.