Genesis of your screen name

AlfaBill

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When I joined the D&C Hyperbills forum (the origin of TBD) I wanted something that someone from my generation would identify.

I've always been jealous of your screen name! 

Mine - I lived near UB and my friends and I used to sneak onto Rotary Field and into Clark gym when we were kids, got shagged out a handful of times but they never caught us.  Then I went to UB and spent a fair bit of time at Clark gym - always felt weird to be allowed.  So it reminds me of my long, not very illustrious Buffalo sports odyssey.

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

@Ponch. My PonyBoy screen name is not even close to The Outsiders. It's a funny story, but I can't share it on this board. 

C'mon Ponyboy...give us the juice!! That's the point of this thread man 😃

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My name is taken from a character in a famous movie called "Titanic".   My character is a Spanish swashbuckler played by Leonardo DiCaprio who is searching for a six fingered man onboard an ocean liner only to fall in love with some rich chick instead.  It's your classic, boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, girl lets boy drown in the frozen north Atlantic story we've all seen a hundred times before.  Rather formulaic but worth a rental during a long bye week without football.

I got the COVID right now... so sounds like a great obscure movie I gotta see!

• Haha (+1) 1

My screen name was picked because I struggle with conviction. I rarely feel something so strongly to be true that it consumes my identity. Because of this I have developed a false self confidence of sorts. A voice in my head that tells me I am justified and correct when I finally do reach some level of conviction. I think the logic at work here is that if I am not easily convicted then I must only be convicted by something extraordinarily convincing. I say false confidence, but the truth is I trust this intuition and allow it to guide my actions regarding the “big” questions. Since most of my strongly held beliefs have taken a long time to form I am not ashamed to hold them once they reach maturity. I think this is a good thing. Another part of the way my mind works is that my convictions are subject to change. I think this is also a good thing. It feels to me that the Truth is never going to reveal itself to me as a whole so to get closer to the Truth my views should constantly be changing and adapting as more and more of the unreachable is revealed to me. Truth, I would say at this point in my life, is not entirely obtainable. However, I would also qualify this statement and say that it is every bit worth searching for. Which brings me to my main point. I do not write this to make an argument for why Truth is worth the search, that would be another topic I’d love to tackle and might at some point. No, I write this to explain primarily to myself where I am right now as far as my convictions and where those convictions are going to and coming

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

“It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinions than our own.”

– Marcus Aurelius

His writings should be more widely read. Timeless wisdom.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.