Genesis of your screen name

AlfaBill

2 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I was a big fan of the Continental Basketball Association back in the day.

That was my nickname on all the CBA teams message boards we had a lot of fun on them.

People knew me by my nickname and called me that in person. Lol.

And I was so sure you loved the Collective Bargaining Agreement with all you heart! 

• Haha (+1) 1

My nickname is a combination of several factors. First, my wife's nickname at work was "the woz." That was a shortened version of "the great and powerful woz," which was a riff on the Wizard of Oz's "Oz the great and powerful."

Throw in the late 1970s, early 1980s pop band Was Not Was, and it was only natural that I would be known as "notwoz."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Was a big Bills fan from back in the early sixties. My dad and older brothers were big Bills fans which obviously gained my interest. I loved their awesome defense and got to meet Tom Sestak, along with Pete Gogolak, Darryl Lamonica and Dick Hudson at an autograph session at the motel field in Blasdell where they practiced. I think it was the Camelot. I could not get over how massively huge Sestak was. To a small child he truly was a giant. His play on the field was second to none and his quickness and strength at his position were unmatched. If he grabbed a running back by the ankle, that running back was going nowhere. Unfortunately his career was shortened by a knee injury. That Bill's defense was legendary with Stratton, Tracy, Jacobs, Day, McDole, Dunaway, Saimes and Byrd.  The best of all those greats was Sestak.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

My refers to inside jargon I had with my brother about Steve Johnson's route running. 

When he would stutter start against Revis, when a press corner would lunge at the snap and he would take a step back and make the corner go off balance forward, or the time he double moved Sherman in Toronto for the TD, we would say Stevie just gave that guy the Hucklebuck, just juked him, broke his ankles. 

So it just became, if we were the Offensive Coordinator, we'd run Straight Hucklebuck Offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Ooh, I love this one. Was a long time stalker of TBD way back in college and decided to finally join the year I wanted the Bills to draft, you guessed it.... Von Miller. Welp... We drafted Marcell, the ships captain, Dareus instead.. end of story. Or is it?!?!? Eleven years later, I finally got my wish!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m a Doggie Granddaddy as of last week. The first girl for us. Our son married a lovely lady who “gets it”. She was past due, but waited until 8:30pm, AFTER the game last Sunday, so our son wouldn’t miss it. 

She is most certainly a keeper!!

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

Mines a moniker I've taken on online recently, after finally deciding to have an actual presence in forums and the like (I identify as a lurker..)

It isn't much fun for a football message board but here goes. It's an homage to Hermes Trimegistus. A figure who, to me, represents the transformation of oneself into the greatest version of oneself. By way of self reflection and discovery, simple spiritual practice, and attunement with the natural laws. 

Thanks to @Coldfronts for the inspiration to post mine. I was contented to enjoy everyone else's until I saw what you had posted.

And here I was thinking you just liked silk scarves.  Very cool.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I'm old enough to actually remember when Pete Gogolak kicked for the Bills.  I currently live in St. Petersburg FL so there's the name.  The picture is from the 1965 Topps AFL series, which is a pretty sweet set.  It has Joe Namath's rookie card and a nice set of old time Bills (Kemp, Sestak, etc.) on a pink background of all colors.

10 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Grew up listening to Bills home games on the radio (they were always blacked out on TV) with Van Miller on the call. When I joined here I had a Chevy Van. 

I love word chains, was once in a band called Bar Stool Pigeons, thus ChevyVanMiller was born.

Awesome screen names for both of you. I'm a big fan of word chains. For that reason, "ChevyVanMiller" especially always stood out for me when I read your posts. I plan to make a thread here about those later, in the off-season when things die down. I might even reference both of you.

6 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Back in the previous century, during the Flutie-Johnson debate, I was tired of people saying how much they hated "RJ," which also happens to be two of my initials.

My friend has the initials of "SJW". She told me she always hates when she uses that on the web and people think it must be because she is a social justice warrior.

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Mine's obviously self-explanatory 

Not really! Do you like to ski, or is that just part of the name? Why goat, and why the French definite article? You don't have to tell anyone, but some people could still be left wondering.

4 hours ago, damj said:

My initials

I had to think for a second about that one. Like does he have four names? Then I realized what the "j" was.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Lighten up Francis. 

There's probably references something funny, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

10 hours ago, yall said:

Nickname from college. After being stationed down south and exposed to so many southerners in the Army, it's easy to pick up on some of the vernacular.

The kids at Fredonia thought it was funny that I said "y'all" and started calling me the same. Nickname has stuck ever since IRL.

Nice. I'm originally from Dunkirk btw. (Van Miller grew up here, btw).

-------

I cannot believe I went through all 12 pages of this thread. Good topic @AlfaBill! I want to know how Jimmy Spagnola, ZeroVoltz, and FilthyBeast got their names. I can imagine why for the last one, actually. 

Also, I love the name of @That's No Moon. I grew up in the 70's/80's, so the pop culture from that era brings back cool memories.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I found out I love this thread. You all are just amazing to me!

my name is just based on Bills always struggling. it applied to my Life as well.
Hard to overcome 3rd and12 because they are going to blitz you and it will be tough to get the first down to get momentum. :) Bu I always have believed in the ability to convert bad yardage situation with good coaching call and excellent execution ! Bills are that team , just took a few decades of patience from us all !!
My icon is/was a race header for my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 I built up over the years into a monster fast car. its gone now but i love the memory of my sweetheart that could spin the front tires at sixty mph easily and had a top speed well over 160. not that ii ever would do that  ...

great topic and so please so many of you opened up.
No wonder we are Family here 😉

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.