Gabe Davis...best deep threat in the NFL?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm guessing a chunk of his success comes not from him, but from who else is around him on the field: i.e., Diggs.

Diggs is going to make everyone around him look better as the defense is looking to defend him first and foremost.

I also think Davis has sort of deceptive speed--like he isn't ultra fast in an artificially timed track meet type of setting, but with all that gear on in a real game setting, he's faster relative to others on the field.

And he always looks BIG and STRONG to me, with a naturally powerful build.  Not sure that helps him on these deep balls, but it helps in some situations when he can go up and just take the ball out of the air, even while defended.

I would be trying to turn that guy into an absolute superstar with Josh's arm!

Agree with all these points that having Diggs opposite him and Allen throwing to him helps a lot.

Even early in his career I found Davis' body control and awareness of where he was at on the field to be exceptional.

He was bank on the sidelines for Allen.

He surprised me early on with his highlight reel toe-drags and such when Allen was a bit more hesitant to place the ball anywhere near a defender and would put it only where Gabe could make a sideline grab.

Allen has evolved his game and confidence in his ball placement and has built a lot of trust in Gabe in the process.

Our Buffalo Bills wide receivers are big time because of Josh Allen’s arm. Put some of these Buffalo Bills wide receivers on other teams with bad QB’s they will be waving there arms I am open. Watching the QB taking the sack of throwing on a check down or out of bounds on other NFL teams in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The Legend of Gabe Davis is far better than the actual player.  He’s a good player, being elevated by Josh Allen.  He’s a number 2 on this team, but a #3 or #4 on others.  I like the kid, but this is another Bills fan over reaction to a couple of flashy plays.

There have been far more than a couple of flashy plays.

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

Gabe Davis is the reason I can’t understand why people want OBJ on this team. Where would he fit? Why take away plays from Gabe?

I just hope Beane can figure out how to keep him long term.

What if Gabe gets dinged up again like he did earlier in season?

Not a chance of keeping Gabe "Peerless Price" Davis but hopefully someone in NFC (a team picking in top 10) will pay 2 1st round picks for him.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Our Buffalo Bills wide receivers are big time because of Josh Allen’s arm. Put some of these Buffalo Bills wide receivers on other teams with bad QB’s they will be waving there arms I am open. Watching the QB taking the sack of throwing on a check down or out of bounds on other NFL teams in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The players still need to catch the ball which is not too easy.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

McKenzie, Kumerow, and Crowder are our "prize toys?"  :lol:

And since when is draft position for a WR commensurate with his ability?

Bills fans just can’t help but loving the underdog and believe everyone is just a star that didn’t get a chance.  The WR room is weak, Allen makes them look good.   Diggs is a legit player, Davis is a good #2 or 3 and the rest are hot garbage, but everyone here wants to believe Davis is an All-Pro and McKenzie is a top flight slot guy, oh and Shakir is the 2nd coming of Edelman.   Everyone needs to get a grip.  Without Allen, there is one starter in the whole group.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

You need to check your math. BTW,  those were just throws at 10+ yds. 

Over his last 6 games (2 of which he was clearly hurting) he has 546 yards and 8 TDs. If you project that over a 17 game season, that would be around 1500 yds and 22 TDs

Yep, you are correct, I used the wrong numbers.  You are also pulling one hell of an  exception game to make the numbers look unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

He averages 18.0 Yards per catch over his career. That's absurd, I don't care who you are.  That's far more than a few plays. Doesn't even count the playoffs where he has made more than a few plays as well.

That’s actually great evidence that he isn’t an effective short route runner, but it’s a nice stat either way.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Every great QB elevates the WR.  Look at what Diggs has done since coming to Buffalo because of Allen.

It's more than a few flashy plays. 

I think he would be a 1 on the Jets and Pats.

My point exactly, he’s playing well because of Allen, on another team he’s another body, not that he’s proven to be much more here.  He has a couple of big games to lean on, but the guy has 2 600 yard seasons, not exactly lighting it up.  

Any team he’s a #1 on has nobody to throw to and if you make him the primary target, he’s not getting those big plays, he gets his because the D is focused on Diggs.   Be real, the KC game, they completely took Diggs out, so Davis got the ball.  Yesterday, he got one on ones and managed what 3 catches?  Granted one was a 98 yard play, and one was a pretty awesome fight for the ball in the end zone, but it’s not like he took over the game. 

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Bills fans just can’t help but loving the underdog and believe everyone is just a star that didn’t get a chance.  The WR room is weak, Allen makes them look good.   Diggs is a legit player, Davis is a good #2 or 3 and the rest are hot garbage, but everyone here wants to believe Davis is an All-Pro and McKenzie is a top flight slot guy, oh and Shakir is the 2nd coming of Edelman.   Everyone needs to get a grip.  Without Allen, there is one starter in the whole group.

Yep, you are correct, I used the wrong numbers.  You are also pulling one hell of an  exception game to make the numbers look unrealistic.

I don't think most fans are arguing that Davis is an all pro. But Davis is a damn good receiver when he is healthy. To me, that is the real concern - can he stay healthy. If he can, then he can put up big numbers with Diggs opposite him and Allen at QB.

Actually, It was two exceptional games out of the last six :D - and you are right about that.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

What if Gabe gets dinged up again like he did earlier in season?

Not a chance of keeping Gabe "Peerless Price" Davis but hopefully someone in NFC (a team picking in top 10) will pay 2 1st round picks for him.

The players still need to catch the ball which is not too easy.

There’s the right comparison.  Peerless was a different type of WR, but Davis and Price both get way less attention because of a true #1 across from them and get to run deep.  Inflated numbers because of situational ball.  Price fell on his face once he left and Davis will too. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I don't think most fans are arguing that Davis is an all pro. But Davis is a damn good receiver when he is healthy. To me, that is the real concern - can he stay healthy. If he can, then he can put up big numbers with Diggs opposite him and Allen at QB.

Actually, It was two exceptional games out of the last six :D - and you are right about that.

I think we see things the same, he needs Allen, Diggs and to stay healthy to be a good player in this offense.  Take any one element away and he’s just a guy.   Yesterday wasn’t all that exceptional.  He had one play that at a ton of yards. The rest of the day, ehh.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

My point exactly, he’s playing well because of Allen, on another team he’s another body, not that he’s proven to be much more here.  He has a couple of big games to lean on, but the guy has 2 600 yard seasons, not exactly lighting it up.  

Any team he’s a #1 on has nobody to throw to and if you make him the primary target, he’s not getting those big plays, he gets his because the D is focused on Diggs.   Be real, the KC game, they completely took Diggs out, so Davis got the ball.  Yesterday, he got one on ones and managed what 3 catches?  Granted one was a 98 yard play, and one was a pretty awesome fight for the ball in the end zone, but it’s not like he took over the game. 

This is his first year as the #2.  Sanders and Brown were over him the last 2 years.

I am really confused by this.  So the Chiefs take Diggs out and Davis set the NFL playoff record for TD's and had a 200 yard game....what are we being real about?  

He completely took the cover off the defense twice.  That's not good enough?  Oh I get it, 7 catches and 85 yards with zero TD's would have been a better game or something?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is his first year as the #2.  Sanders and Brown were over him the last 2 years.

I am really confused by this.  So the Chiefs take Diggs out and Davis set the NFL playoff record for TD's and had a 200 yard game....what are we being real about?  

He completely took the cover off the defense twice.  That's not good enough?  Oh I get it, 7 catches and 85 yards with zero TD's would have been a better game or something?

what he did against KC was dominant, but it was because of their attention to Diggs and very likely because of the injury to Honey Badger. 

Yesterday for far from dominant, he had 98 yards on the third play of day for offense and 2 catches the rest of the game, in this case the box score is a lot more impressive than the actually performance.   Last year, everybody looked at the Titans game and said Henry only ripped off one big play and the Bills contained him otherwise.  Which is true.  The Big plays still count and do impact the game, but everyone talking like Davis is a God, need to chill.

18 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

what he did against KC was dominant, but it was because of their attention to Diggs and very likely because of the injury to Honey Badger. 

Yesterday for far from dominant, he had 98 yards on the third play of day for offense and 2 catches the rest of the game, in this case the box score is a lot more impressive than the actually performance.   Last year, everybody looked at the Titans game and said Henry only ripped off one big play and the Bills contained him otherwise.  Which is true.  The Big plays still count and do impact the game, but everyone talking like Davis is a God, need to chill.

KC didn't have a good pass defense even with Honey Badger.

So what it's because Diggs got the attention.  They why doesn't every #2 have 4 TD's in a playoff game?  

And the bolded simply isn't true.  

BTW, the Browns are 0-2 since you made that statement that I would be "very wrong" with the Browns going 2-6 in their next 8.

They've got the Ravens, Bucs, Bills, Patriots, Bengals and Dolphins coming up next....

Edited by Royale with Cheese

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Our offense was done playing by half basically 

Josh spreads the ball around… He could’ve given Gabe 250 if he wanted

15 hours ago, mrags said:

Without looking. I wanna say that Bo or Deion were very close or were expected to be but didn’t run don’t remember. 

Carl Lewis was clocked at a 3.9 I believe though. 

i think they clocked his mouth saying he could run a sub 4 40.

legend is bo Jackson did, maybe with a running start…. No way from still 

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The Legend of Gabe Davis is far better than the actual player.  He’s a good player, being elevated by Josh Allen.  He’s a number 2 on this team, but a #3 or #4 on others.  I like the kid, but this is another Bills fan over reaction to a couple of flashy plays.

Aside from the obvious stupidity, how is a SB favorites #2, a 3 or 4 on a lesser team?

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I have read and I have made a bunch of terrible posts on this site.  This is without a doubt the dumbest post I have ever seen.  He is a #1 on many teams. Not a #3 or #4.  There are very few receivers in the league that can do what he did in KC and again yesterday. He is a potential Hall of Fame type talent.

Edited by Bills2022

The combine clock thing i have never figured out there are guys that are just faster in game than trying to be fast game speed i think is real & is totally different from running against a clock & i think Gabe is one of those guys that just knows how to position himself and is faster in game than other wise .

And i'm glad he on our team !! GO BILLS !!! 

I think a lot of this is stride. If anybody has long legs on here, it's just deceptive to others. Allen has the same thing. It looks like you're pacing it correctly and then that stride just eats you up. Not to mention, stride tends to hurt start times, but that doesn't matter on a go route all that much. I just think these DB's are thinking they have time to turn and run and Gabe is already on top of them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.