Finding an alternative to Case Keenum

Einstein

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Great win by the Bills! Seeing Keenum again brought about some reminders of his play.

This is the second blowout where Josh Allen moved the offense at will, then Keenum comes in and looks totally lost. Can barely get a first down. Doesn’t score at all.

Here are the Keenum led drives:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Barkley at least could move the offense a little bit after coming in from 2018 to 2020. Even won a game starting. No, he wasn’t great - i’m not making that argument.

Here is my question: Does anyone have confidence that Keenum can win a game if he ever needed to? 

Death, taxes, and Einstein b****ing after a game.

• Haha (+1) 2

I would like to see Keenum get some reps in with the 1st team offense.  It's good practice in case it comes to that.  He likely gets no reps with the 1s during the week, and some game reps would be valuable.  I would have kept the 1st team on with him for a drive or two.  

Keenum has been horrendous this year in his limited action, but, he's also been way worse than he's ever been. I'd like to think that at some point he'll return to the mean and be a dependable backup that can win some games if needed. Hopefully the only action we need any backup QB for is mop up duty like this. I wouldn't hate the idea of the Bills keeping a legitimate prospect on the practice squad next year instead of guys with no upside.

2 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Not sure why everyone is giving you a hard time. Ya he's the backup, but what we have seem so far is not very assuring. 

Come on...Keenum has been in the league 10 years and he's a proven commodity.  He's not great, you wouldn't want him as your starter, but he's got more than enough talent and experience to be a very good back-up.  It's ludicrous to judge him based on a quarter or two of mop up duty. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, mannc said:

Come on...Keenum has been in the league 10 years and he's a proven commodity.  He's not great, you wouldn't want him as your starter, but he's got more than enough talent and experience to be a very good back-up.  It's ludicrous to judge him based on a quarter or two of mop up duty. 

My only issue is that there is basically *zero* reality in the backup QB winning a SB for the Bills.  Yeah, there were the Reich years, but most of the time the drop off between QB1 and QB2 is significant.  Let's not assume that the Bills win a SB with Trubisky or Keenam or whatever else, okay?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, TheCockSportif said:

My only issue is that there is basically *zero* reality in the backup QB winning a SB for the Bills.  Yeah, there were the Reich years, but most of the time the drop off between QB1 and QB2 is significant.  Let's not assume that the Bills win a SB with Trubisky or Keenam or whatever else, okay?

Very few backups would be capable of winning a super bowl under any circumstances...you just want someone who can come in and go 2-2 or 3-1 if Josh has to miss a few games...beyond that, I don't even want to think about it.    

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Great win by the Bills! Seeing Keenum again brought about some reminders of his play.

This is the second blowout where Josh Allen moved the offense at will, then Keenum comes in and looks totally lost. Can barely get a first down. Doesn’t score at all.

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Barkley at least could move the offense a little bit after coming in from 2018 to 2020. Even won a game starting. No, he wasn’t great - i’m not making that argument.

Here is my question: Does anyone have confidence that Keenum can win a game if he ever needed to? 

You realize the Bills dialed it back and where not concerned with points? It was no turnovers, no injuries, and no giving away of anything special play wise like pre season. That’s what they wanted to do, and it was a success. Your assuming you know what the strategy was when Keenum came in, I don’t think your assumption is correct. 

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Here we go with your threads again. Oof

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Very few backups would be capable of winning a super bowl under any circumstances...you just want someone who can come in and go 2-2 or 3-1 if Josh has to miss a few games...beyond that, I don't even want to think about it.    

Exactly.  Out of sheer curiosity, how many here watched the Reich years, including SBVXII?  Not good, and should never be replicated.  Don't fixate on QB2.  It's not worth it when the big prize is in the sights.

45 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I would like to see Keenum get some reps in with the 1st team offense.  It's good practice in case it comes to that.  He likely gets no reps with the 1s during the week, and some game reps would be valuable.  I would have kept the 1st team on with him for a drive or two.  

And then if Dorsey kept the starters out there and Diggs or Davis or Morse etc got hurt, would you be at the front of the line bitching about how they had no business still being out there when we’re up 38-3?  Especially when we’re already down 3 WR who were routine gameday actives?

We saw Keenum play with the 1’s in pre-season.  The only time I want to see that again in a game is if (avert!) it’s needed

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Do you even understand football?

You are doing Albert no favors with these God awful posts.

MODS - can this "genius" be relegated to the PS?  Where he can't post?  Please?  Asking for a friend.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

He did fine.

Yes he did!!! Running out the clock game plan is not the time to evaluate your back up qb. Very difficult to shine.
He’s a veteran with playoff experience. Perfect guy for the job and I have zero concerns about him in a 38-3 rout not having 158 game rating. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.