Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Non sense. This guy likes hearing himself talk. Josh hits McKenzie in the fourth quarter for that TD nobody bothers to click on this video. 

Well Durrrr show me a dude (or a gal) who makes podcasts who doesn't like hearing himself talk.  And sure, the Bills had multiple chances to win the game, the bad pass to McKenzie being one of them.

I thought he had some good points about the impact of the way the Dolphins defended the Bills in the 2nd half: starting out in other looks, and dropping INTO a 2 deep cover-2 or cover-2 like shell.  He points out that the Bills only managed 3 points from that point on, that Josh had an unusual (for him) low completion percentage and an unusual (for him) number of interceptable balls - and these are genuine "hit the DB in the hand" type balls.

I personally think (or maybe I hope) that he entirely misses the fact that Josh's starting center was out, he was on his 3rd string center by the end of the game, the R side of the line was backups, and the whole team was being baked into muscle cramps by "Hard Rock Oven".   Having just a second or a fraction of a second less to throw is the difference between completion or danger for a QB who trusts himself and his arm to throw into tight windows. 

But, if he's right, it's something that other teams are going to try, so we'd better have an answer.

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Why wouldn't they?

1) we lost a low-scoring game to the Dolphins when we couldn't "clinch the deal" on multiple drives

2) we barely squeaked out a win over the Ravens at the end of regulation

3) our Injury Report looks like we should set up a Mash tent on the sidelines at practice and includes:

-two starting DBs are "out"

-starting MLB may very well be "out"

-two starting DLmen still limited

-another starting DB DNP

-on the other side of the ball, starting TE may be out

-starting #2 WR hampered, #3 WR in concussion protocol and his backup/partner going on IR

-backup to #2 WR and ace ST likely "out"

-C limited with injury to snapping arm

4) various stuff out there now on how to stop Josh Allen (based on Dolphins game)

5) run game poor

On their side, new young QB looked promising and we have limited film on him

I'm not writing all this to say I think we're in trouble, but I can see why Steelers fans would be licking their chops.  And anyone who thinks it'll be a cake-walk for the Bills is probably mistaken, just based on the size and scope of our injury report - YIKES

It's the NFL. Every team is beat up. Next man up. Also Kenny Pickett looked promising? Did you watch the same game? Bills D under McD. and Frazier have terrorized rookie QB's. No reason that shouldn't continue. 

6 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

It's the NFL. Every team is beat up. Next man up. Also Kenny Pickett looked promising? Did you watch the same game? Bills D under McD. and Frazier have terrorized rookie QB's. No reason that shouldn't continue. 

McD is 7- 3 against rookie QBs.  Two of those losses were at home.   One was the wind game and the jets game when they sat Josh. Certainly not a lock but it looks promising.   Herbert gave them a tough game in 2020. 

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well Durrrr show me a dude (or a gal) who makes podcasts who doesn't like hearing himself talk.  And sure, the Bills had multiple chances to win the game, the bad pass to McKenzie being one of them.

I thought he had some good points about the impact of the way the Dolphins defended the Bills in the 2nd half: starting out in other looks, and dropping INTO a 2 deep cover-2 or cover-2 like shell.  He points out that the Bills only managed 3 points from that point on, that Josh had an unusual (for him) low completion percentage and an unusual (for him) number of interceptable balls - and these are genuine "hit the DB in the hand" type balls.

I personally think (or maybe I hope) that he entirely misses the fact that Josh's starting center was out, he was on his 3rd string center by the end of the game, the R side of the line was backups, and the whole team was being baked into muscle cramps by "Hard Rock Oven".   Having just a second or a fraction of a second less to throw is the difference between completion or danger for a QB who trusts himself and his arm to throw into tight windows. 

But, if he's right, it's something that other teams are going to try, so we'd better have an answer.

Its not just that.  I dont think Josh even knew what receivers he was getting on the field from play to play.  I think one play was FB, RB, and like McKenzie.  These guys were going in and out for IVs and getting cramps like every play.

Miami did a good job but Josh is a fool me once type of QB. 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Its not just that.  I dont think Josh even knew what receivers he was getting on the field from play to play.  I think one play was FB, RB, and like McKenzie.  These guys were going in and out for IVs and getting cramps like every play.

That's a very good point.  And Josh had to be hella tired as well - he was the team's leading rusher

• Like (+1) 1

So tonight I had a chance to rewatch the 2nd half of Baltimore (offensive snaps) and again had a particular focus on the run game:

-FWIW, they were almost exclusively in 11 personnel this whole half. 

-the first drive after half began with two successful runs: toss for 15+ and a zone with a nice Singletary cut back for 9.

- the very next play 2nd&9 never stood a chance, as Singletary was met behind the LOS as Dawkins was unable to meet the slanting DL. Would have liked to see Saffold lend a hand here before moving onto the 2nd level.

-a few inconsequential runs of 3 and 4 scattered throughout to Singletary with decent movement upfront. I don’t mind these.

-After the first Poyer INT - Moss goes for 1, with Bates blown up by the DL essentially ruining the play

(the next play Bates/Moss get tripped up on a TE stunt in pass pro on 3rd&9 leading to an Allen sack - FYI)

The final drive, after the roughing call, 1&10 from the 26 going in and Singletary loses a yard on a zone read. It looked to me as though they had 6 to block 7, with Allen expected to hold the 7th defender. It did not work. (Although the play action off of this to Knox is going to be wide open!)

A few other thoughts:

Despite the obvious negatives (fumble and dropped pass) I thought Singletary played a great ball game. He had some nifty runs after the catch in a few quick hitting pass plays, and was the most effective back helping out in protection. 

Two awesome Allen throws - Diggs on the 25+ out and McKenzie dime on the 3rd and 7 (which he was concussed on). Those were elite passes. 

Knox had two excellent blocks on screens: pancaking a player on the Shakir catch and run, and opening up a huge lane for Singletary on a quick hitting throw on the final drive.

It is almost unbelievable how much trouble Allen bails this team out of. Go back and watch. It’s play after play of him eluding pressure, delivering a strike, running for positive yards when there is a fumbled snap, converting 4th downs. It almost seemed like every time he drops back, he is doing something above and beyond to make it all come together. Truly Amazing.

I don’t think this teams rushing woes are truly as bad as we make them out to be. However, I do think that they need to get it done in short yardage.

P.S. Ken Dorsey, if you’re reading this, can you PLEASE call me because I have lots of questions that reporters don’t/won’t ask 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

"Bad luck CJ"?

I'm (mostly) just explaining how the Steelers fans in my neighborhood see it. 

As far as "how to stop Josh Allen", I'll refer you to Brett Kollman's The Film Room episode, you watch and decide if he's noticed some things, or if he's delusional.  I will warn you that it requires some suspension of disbelief immediately as he keeps referring to the 2021 Bills Dolphins games as though the first one was a success (the score was 35-0 and while the passing game was limited, the run game gained 143 yds 108 of which were from RBs) and the second one not far behind it (score was 26-11 and 249 passing yards).

Siri🤦‍♂️ I have to proof read more. 

5 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Anyone who thinks the Dolphins magically figured out how to stop Josh Allen is delusional. Unless any team can create the same weather and injuries, good luck. Miami didn’t do squat. Bad luck on the other hand did plenty…

Come on, Allen only threw for 400 yards that game. If that isn't shutting him down I don't know what is. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

- the very next play 2nd&9 never stood a chance, as Singletary was met behind the LOS as Dawkins was unable to meet the slanting DL. Would have liked to see Saffold lend a hand here before moving onto the 2nd level.

Good stuff @EmotionallyUnstable

I think this play may be the play that was talked about in another thread, referencing the John Fina podcast where he points out that in fact, Saffold is supposed to chip or help out there because otherwise Dawkins can't get that angle.  The point being either there's lack of communication or these guys just don't have their protection rules down yet.  Maybe the run game is sucking "hind tit" in practice and they don't put enough work into it, IDK.

Since McD made a deal out of wanting more run game, I listed our all our non-Josh run plays from the Ravens game:

1st half

Singletary: 1 ,3, 4, 4

Moss: 5, 0

2nd half

Singletary: 18, 9, -4 ,3, 4, -1, 8

Moss: 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Come on, Allen only threw for 400 yards that game. If that isn't shutting him down I don't know what is. 

By this logic, the Ravens had a very successful 9:29 minute, 93 yd drive in the 4Q on Sunday.

Guess we weren't shutting them down at all...

Oh Wait, they didn't get points out of it.  We did.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, Bills2022 said:

The Steelers are extremely well coached. Much better than the Bills.  This game is not a gimme. My biggest concern is overlooking this game because of the Chiefs the following week.  I think people are going to realize we have flaws that the injuries and weather excuses have been covering.

1) We can't run the ball   2) We lack consistency.   This is the game to get on track.  

Vegas does not agree with this take.

Consistency:

Playing in an oven with most of our backups and then the backups to the backup players.

Playing in a downpour the next week where they finally shook off the Miami miasma in the 2nd half.

This has the makings of a get healthy game if the offense can avoid the mental mistakes and we adjust more quickly through the 2nd qtr.

Halftime adjustments have been pretty effective on both sides of the ball for the most part.

It will be interesting to see who they trot out for the 3-receiver sets. Expect we will see a lot more Gilliam and 12 personnel.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, finn said:

I'm a homer, but Mahomes does not impress me anywhere near as much as Allen does. That flip pass that people were swooning over? Allen made a similar pass to Knox for a TD. I don't recall people swooning then. To be fair, Allen really has gotten a lot of attention lately, but it seems that Mahomes gets praised mostly for his flashy trick plays, like no-look passes or sidearm throws. Meanwhile, Allen is doing all that AND trucking people.

I know, I know, it's ok for both of them to be good.  But I get jealous of any praise that's directed at a rival. 

you are a homer because Mahomes has done amazing things with the football. He does not have the running talent that Josh has, but Pat’s done some incredible things with all the arm angles he can throw from. Allen’s imitated a couple of them yes. But the opinion that Mahomes would fall to earth a bit after losing Hill hasn’t come to pass. 

Yes, I’d still take Allen. 

54 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ho boy. That’s a little embarrassing.

EDIT: watching those clips through Beck’s link, I am seriously concerned about this kid’s arm strength. Starting to think that BUF-14 line is a little low.

Edited by JoPoy88

4 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

Their A game looks like them getting turnovers, holding the Bills offense to FG's, not TD's, and scoring with their special teams and defense.  

Remember. last year they beat us by making us kick FG's and they blocked a punt for a TD.  Also remember they beat the Bengals opening week despite being dominated.  How?  They scored a defensive TD and they made the Bengals kick short field goals instead of giving them TD's.  They have a recipe for success.  It works when their opponents don't bring their A game. 

Damn, dude. Quit, while you’re only a mile behind..

4 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

The rest of your post seems reasonable, but not sure how you land on "Bills are pretty healthy right now"...lol. Yes, by Friday, that report should be a bit cleaned up, but don't jump off the deep end with that odd statement.

Too late, he lept years ago.

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

A fluke!  And they only had Pickett for half the game!

Don't shoot the messenger, Boys, I'm just explaining why the Steelers fans I know are hopeful.

You’re a Rabble Rouser. Always rousing rabble!

32F586A0-5039-4CBE-89EB-A16598ED97C9.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:24 PM, Bills2022 said:

I don't trust our head coach. So yes, I am concerned with every game. Between our loss to the Jaguars last year, our first half against the Bucs, our blowout loss to the Titans at home, and our playoff loss to the Chiefs last year, I have reason to be concerned.  And that doesn't include the wind game against the Pats or the opening loss to the Steelers.  1 or 2 bad games is ok, not 5 or 6 of them. We started again this year with the incomplete games.  Week in and week out this team is not playing up to what it is capable of doing. 

You can’t blow out every team every week, but I full well expect the Bills to massacre Pittsburgh. I think this will be another game where we take Allen out mid way through the 4th quarter. 

But you are entitled to your opinion…

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.