AJ Epenesa Is really playing well

78thealltimegreat

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He can and so can Groot as he showed last night.... but you'd be down to one true starting level DT on the road in a place where you want to rotate because of conditions. That is not the end of the world but it is less than ideal. 

Agree, but I would add that so far, the Miami RBs are just as potent in the check down/screen passes as actually running the ball.

The RBs have averaged 62 yards in their first 2 games.  Pass rushing and quickness might be more important this Sunday.

Edmonds and Mostert are both smaller, quicker RBs.  They are the opposite of a Henry.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Sorta disagree here, in that I think a better analogy is Von Miller is to this D what Stefon Diggs is to this O. Brought in from outside and instantly elevated the competitiveness and expectations of those around them. 

Allen, and the QB position in general, just doesn't have a comp on the defensive side.

Not my view. On O its much more Alan than Diggs who elevates the competitiveness and expectations of those around him (including Digg’s). I see Von Miller as having that sort of influence on the D., inspiring his teammates, bringing the young ones along, instilling confidence etc…The fact that neither Diggs or Miller are home grown may be something that they have in common but that is to me irrelevant to the analysis.

Diggs is a top shelf # 1 and in the discussion of the best right now. But I’ve got to say that for all the deserved kudos he got the laser and the long ball yesterday were the real story on those TDs. Many good WRs could have made those catches. Fewer QBs can make either of those throws.

10 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Von Miller is to this D what Allen is to the O. They raise everybody’s game. Few players can do that. Bills have two.

Honestly, I think it’s 3, Diggs has had such an impact on the WRs it’s nuts.

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Not my view. On O its much more Alan than Diggs who elevates the competitiveness and expectations of those around him (including Digg’s). I see Von Miller as having that sort of influence on the D., inspiring his teammates, bringing the young ones along, instilling confidence etc…The fact that neither Diggs or Miller are home grown may be something that they have in common but that is to me irrelevant to the analysis.

Diggs is a top shelf # 1 and in the discussion of the best right now. But I’ve got to say that for all the deserved kudos he got the laser and the long ball yesterday were the real story on those TDs. Many good WRs could have made those catches. Fewer QBs can make either of those throws.

I see where you are coming from and I do agree Allen elevates the entire O.  I still recall the massive jump from the WRs we saw once Diggs entered the room.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Of course you're right that Allen (sp) is the offensive MVP, no question. But that's just too easy, and has no analogue across the field. I'd also argue that while Josh Allen was still a work-in-progress, the Bills brought in Stefon Diggs, and we saw a TANGIBLE elevation in the play of our WRs across the board. That position group (Beasley seemed to REALLY blossom), and the offense overall, took on a more tenacious, competitive approach to every play based, in part, on the arrival of such a competitive SOB as Stefon Diggs. They were all pushed harder every day by a new personality who already had, and continues to grow, his reputation as an ELITE player. 

Von Miller is a similar, albeit EVEN MORE ELITE, acquisition. He outwardly preaches the gospel of being an elite teammate, whereas Diggs did it quietly for the most part. 

• Like (+1) 2

Re-watching the game right now a couple of notes the king didn’t have anywhere to run

And

There were several defensive lineman that look surprisingly good what causes that probably improved play by the players beside them and another year in the NFL in the system

I was one of those guys that didn’t think we were going to be able to keep Epenesa and all the other guys we brought in but beane made it work and I’m glad that he did

The nice thing is the majority of these guys are very young they’re gonna grow up together in the NFL

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Few WRs could have twisted the DB inside and out like a squeezed lemon the way Diggs did on the deep ball. 

Of course the supply of great WRs outstrips the supply of great QBs. But I think a lot of Bills are still even in year 3 underrating how good Stefon Diggs is.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Few WRs could have twisted the DB inside and out like a squeezed lemon the way Diggs did on the deep ball. 

Of course the supply of great WRs outstrips the supply of great QBs. But I think a lot of Bills are still even in year 3 underrating how good Stefon Diggs is.

Diggs is quickly moving up the WR power rankings 

his route running ability is close to second to none… He’s clearly in the top 2-4 … as a former corner HES the guy I didn’t wanna play

a physical beast with limited route running is not the biggest problem for most corners … a quick twitch , precise route runner will have you having nightmares 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree, but I would add that so far, the Miami RBs are just as potent in the check down/screen passes as actually running the ball.

The RBs have averaged 62 yards in their first 2 games.  Pass rushing and quickness might be more important this Sunday.

Edmonds and Mostert are both smaller, quicker RBs.  They are the opposite of a Henry.

It does feel like it’s going to be a different style of game when I think of the Titans I think of Mauling brute force on both sides of the ball

Miami feels like a track meet but I’ve also got this feeling that we’re going to be able to run the ball much better against them as well I just like to see the bills control every inch of clock and score at the end and make tua Make mistakes

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Diggs is quickly moving up the WR power rankings 

his route running ability is close to second to none… He’s clearly in the top 2-4 … as a former corner HES the guy I didn’t wanna play

a physical beast with limited route running is not the biggest problem for most corners … a quick twitch , precise route runner will have you having nightmares 

He is the best route runner in the NFL. Has been for about 5 years. I keep hearing people wax lyrical about Davante Adams's route running. And Adams is good, sure. He isn't as good as Diggs is. Best route runner in the league. Period. 

And this is no homerism. I have been on the Diggs train since before he was a Bill. Remember when some people thought Adam Theilen was a better receiver? Even more laughable now than it was then. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He is the best route runner in the NFL. Has been for about 5 years. I keep hearing people wax lyrical about Davante Adams's route running. And Adams is good, sure. He isn't as good as Diggs is. Best route runner in the league. Period. 

I’ve debated coaches , fans , YouTubers , 2BDrs on his route running ability 

the only name I’ve ever gotten is DA… Adams is stronger and more explosive at the release (barley) but he doesn’t have the repertoire and suddenness of Diggs… they are right there but adams is more physical Diggs is more subtle 

Diggs is this generations Marvin Harrison 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Simon said:

That's also my son's birthday. :thumbsup:

What year?

(And don't say "every year" :flirt:)

LOL! 

Chris was born in 1996 so just celebrated his 26th birthday. How old is your son?

Chris grew up a Buffalo Bills fan because - well, his Dad and grandfather loves them.  It is so great that since McDermott became Coach - he is able to experience great games and better teams to be excited about. He and his fiancé' were at the Monday night game and will be back there vs. Vikings. Go Bills!

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

the only name I’ve ever gotten is DA… Adams is stronger and more explosive at the release (barley) but he doesn’t have the repertoire and suddenness of Diggs… they are right there but adams is more physical Diggs is more subtle 

Thats a very solid comparison. Same body frame. Not elite speed but enough to get deep. Great hands. Uses boundary well. Good post!

20 hours ago, Airseven said:

I don’t trust Epenesa. He flashes and then disappears. Need to see more before he graduates from practice hero status.

Ah, the Airseven we all know and love…, 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I know one player that does not want to see 57 this week.. Epenesa almost broke Tua in half last year. 
He might be the hardest hitter on the defense, he really brings it when he has the opportunity. 

he probably won’t see him until the second half when the Bills are up 28 and the starters are resting, but he’ll see him.

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Of course you're right that Allen (sp) is the offensive MVP, no question. But that's just too easy, and has no analogue across the field. I'd also argue that while Josh Allen was still a work-in-progress, the Bills brought in Stefon Diggs, and we saw a TANGIBLE elevation in the play of our WRs across the board. That position group (Beasley seemed to REALLY blossom), and the offense overall, took on a more tenacious, competitive approach to every play based, in part, on the arrival of such a competitive SOB as Stefon Diggs. They were all pushed harder every day by a new personality who already had, and continues to grow, his reputation as an ELITE player. 

Von Miller is a similar, albeit EVEN MORE ELITE, acquisition. He outwardly preaches the gospel of being an elite teammate, whereas Diggs did it quietly for the most part. 

Having said that Diggs is a top shelf # 1 WR and in the discussion for who might be the best right now (to the extent that those discussions make sense, which generally they do not) I don’t think I’m failing to recognize his value to the receiving corps and to the team as a whole. And I didn’t fail to notice the outside feint that froze the corner on the long ball though in truth he’s run much more difficult routes than that go. I don’t know if you follow the post game commentary but lots of pundits were crediting Diggs with Allen’s improvement and even felt they could point to his arrival as the time when Allen’s talent blossomed. While certainly the good chemistry accounts for much of the success they have both enjoyed that’s going too far imo. Josh Allen can make Kumerow look like a world beater and he was always going to be great.

As for Von he is credited with taking the Rams defence to the next level. He actually made Donald a better player. He’s doing the same thing here. Few players can do that and I have no problem seeing him as the leader of this defence, which otherwise has many of the same parts but is much better, sometimes unrecognizable. And why not, He’s a first ballot guy.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agreed- I’d like to add that his ability to “sell” the route to the DB is among the best ever.  

No team should ever put a CB on Diggs in man with no help.    

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.