AJ Epenesa Is really playing well

78thealltimegreat

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Have noticed he is utilizing the Von "Ghost Rush" move and winning quite a bit with it this year...just came across this one...

Used it to force Jones to get rid of the ball on the Tre INT.

He has a fast burst off the line, think I remember numbers from last year that put him number one on the team in terms of DL snap and reaction time, even better than Jerry Hughes. Problem is he doesn’t always bend around the tackle like he does in this video. Good quickness, but lacks the flexibility to be a consistent pass rushing threat. I’m not looking forward to more Mahomes loopty loops while no DL can catch him. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

6.5 sacks in a 17 game season screams Chris Kelsay. I like AJ but let's not kid ourselves, he doesn't have an elite pass rushing move. As others have accurately stated, he let's the tackle take him deep beyond a qb "stepping up" every time.  Never see a spin move inside or bull rush. I'm afraid 6-7 sacks is kind of his ceiling. 

AJ is a back up DE.  I am not expecting elite moves from a back up.  Getting 6-7 sacks from your depth player is solid production.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Wonder if some of our DE's issues getting gashed are scheme related, we usually only play nickel, and Milano is often looking to defend the TE on obvious passing downs

We play nickel personnel but in plenty of 4-3 formations. Taron plays a lot of weak side linebacker for us. 

33 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Will he get a 2nd contract… ( one more year to go on his rookie deal…)?

This will be the ultimate judgement on whether he is “playing well”…

I’m leaning no at this stage…

Absolutely not. He was originally drafted in the 2nd round to be a starter. His mediocre play slid him behind Groot. Then we signed Von. These were all moves done because AJ didn't pan out.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Absolutely not. He was originally drafted in the 2nd round to be a starter. His mediocre play slid him behind Groot. Then we signed Von. These were all moves done because AJ didn't pan out.

Backups need contracts too, and we need guys for the rotation. If he can get a little more consistent, I could see him sticking around on a 2nd contract. Definitely not anywhere near top of the market. But a $3M/year? Sure.

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Backups need contracts too, and we need guys for the rotation. If he can get a little more consistent, I could see him sticking around on a 2nd contract. Definitely not anywhere near top of the market. But a $3M/year? Sure.

If he can give ya 6-7 sacks rotationally in years 4 & 5 then sure sign him on a team friendly deal. But that brings up another issue with our defense....this whole rotation issue. I'd just like to identify my best front 4 and play them more.  I feel like our Dline is 3 different hockey lines.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

AJ, Boogie, Spector, all wasted picks.  Could have used those picks on offense

Im not a fan of any of these guys...

But can we blame the coaching as well?

They were all guys the coaches wanted, and it seems the coaches have not been able to develop them...

42 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Im not arguing... it seems stupid to me that they draft the guy and then immediately ask him to drop a ton of weight,..

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And unless Boogie blows up year 3 he has been incredibly underwhelming. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

AJ, Boogie, Spector, all wasted picks.  Could have used those picks on offense

AJ the options I believe were Dobbins or Shin (but we gave Taron a big contract).

Boogie alternative was Creed, so that was a misstep.  

Spector wasn't a waste, he was later on...but T. Bernard is not looking good and there was OL available at that point.  

Edited by CNYfan
spelling

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

Year 4 being a 2nd round pick. He’s young and cheap so he’ll probably be around. 

If you're a 2nd or 3rd round DE, the bar has to be set higher than "we'll settle for a cheap backup".  If we want to have multiple shots at a Lombardi, we don't have the luxury of wasting early picks on cheap backups.  Especially when those picks could've been tested on OL or Wr2?  I absolutely love Sean McDermott but this is what happens when you have a defensive HC.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He was drafted to be a rotational starter… he’s been OK. Def better this year but nothing great… The Bills have just expended so many resources upfront because they utilize a rotation and expect all 8 rotating players to be good that its taken away quality from other positions…. I suspect they’ll either do away with the rotation or try and get production from their rotation via later round picks/bargain FAs.

I understand the rest (stay fresh) element of a defensive rotation. But with a rotation you lose your marquee players' ability to make plays 70% of the time. Is TJ Watt, Aaron Donald or the Bosa brothers getting rotated 50% of the time? I want my best players on the field for as long as their conditioning allows.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s a McD philosophy since his Carolina days… unfortunately something has to give. Either do away with it and pay a good solid group of 4-5 or try and find some mid to late round gems that can contribute admirably.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the DL rotation anymore than the "bend don't break" zone nickel.  With 13 seconds left these coaches had an obligation to the team and its fans to make sure Hill & Kelce don't burn you. But loe and behold there was no man press or double teams. Just more zone....more gaps to catch balls in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

AJ's numbers are decent in context but still don't pass the eyeball test.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. They have taken a guy who was stout against the run and a power rusher who pushed the pocket in college into a situations pass rusher who attacks the edge well but struggles to hold the point of attack. 

It is one of the most interesting experiments I have ever witnessed. He has been a good role player this year but not sure the way his body is now you can rely on him to be an every down starter because of his moveability on early downs. 

that allegedly is the reason the Bills were convinced to try the transformation. They loved his first step get off and thought slimmed down that could be used to make him a more explosive speed rusher. 

AJE - 14 pressures

TJ Watt - 13 pressures

I mean TJ was never fully healthy so I'm not sure what it tells you but those are the numbers. 

The AJ experiment was an interesting one. I wish he was playing at his college weight cause I liked the pick and was impressed with his college video.

As for TJ Watt, anyone who watched the Steelers last two games against Baltimore and Cleveland saw him being a force on every play, but not necessarily showing up on the stat sheet. 

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Never see a spin move inside or bull rush. I'm afraid 6-7 sacks is kind of his ceiling. 

7 hours ago, Motorin' said:

What about Ryan Denney? 

Was this necessary? 😆

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I kept expecting him to change it up and have a counter move, but if he did, I never saw it. 

Agree with those wishing/hoping AJ develops a counter spin inside because it seems like he's overplayed outside most of the time.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:10 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

I understand the rest (stay fresh) element of a defensive rotation. But with a rotation you lose your marquee players' ability to make plays 70% of the time. Is TJ Watt, Aaron Donald or the Bosa brothers getting rotated 50% of the time? I want my best players on the field for as long as their conditioning allows.

If this is really important for all of you folks, there are a lot of teams out there for you to root for. Make the switch.

But the Bills aren't changing. Nor should they. 

Statistically speaking it's really really hard to put a really good defense on the field with consistency. Defenses regress to the mean more quickly than offenses. Yet this team has managed really good defenses year after year.

Deal with it.

Or switch. If you're a Bosa fan, the Chargers would welcome your fanhood. Aaron  Donald? The Rams won't reject your allegiance. If you want your best players on the field for as long as their conditioning allows, root for SD or LA. There are plenty of others. 

All the Bills have to offer you is a really good defense year after year.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If this is really important for all of you folks, there are a lot of teams out there for you to root for. Make the switch.

But the Bills aren't changing. Nor should they. 

Statistically speaking it's really really hard to put a really good defense on the field with consistency. Defenses regress to the mean more quickly than offenses. Yet this team has managed really good defenses year after year.

Deal with it.

Or switch. If you're a Bosa fan, the Chargers would welcome your fanhood. Aaron  Donald? The Rams won't reject your allegiance. If you want your best players on the field for as long as their conditioning allows, root for SD or LA. There are plenty of others. 

All the Bills have to offer you is a really good defense year after year.

This seems a little harsh, does it not? Can you imagine the uproar that would have been if Bruce was rotated in and out of the lineup? Or Ted Washington? Our rotational philosophy does rub some of us the wrong way, and I could also see how it’d be frustrating for many of the players, too. Sometimes it’s maddening when we have a 3rd and short and the line is not the starters. I know I’d want Daquan, Ed, Groot, and Von fronting our defense in just this situation. Who wouldn’t? You, presumably?

I believe the defensive line rotation works both for and against the team. It’s obviously intended to keep everyone fresh, but if I’m a pass rushing DE it also takes away from my one on one mind game battle with the OT. Am I going inside? Am I going outside this time? It’s definitely a Catch 22. The Bills have made their choice on the pluses and minuses. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.