AFC East Will Be Not A Given

Ross Murdock

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

iirc in the 56-10 game, Brady played the whole game. 

Not saying it's what I want Allen to do, but it's how QB's end up with absurd stats, which is the primary prereq for that award.

The Titans pulled their starters first. They waved the white flag and called the game off late 3rd Qrtr. Both teams already had multiple injuries and Vrabel was basically saying to McDermott "well played coach, now let's both try and get our guys out of her without any more injuries". McDermott did the right thing reciprocating. 

As for Allen's personal desire to put up absurd stats.... when the 56-10 game happened Brady had 3 Superbowls. He could have retired then and pretty much walked into the HoF. For Allen and these Bills it is about Lombardis.

Suggesting he or the Bills somehow lacked ambition by pulling him at 41-7 against Titans backups is the most absurd take I have read in quite some time. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I am not suggesting a lack of ambition. Sitting Allen was the right move IMO. It could just mean a Brady or a Rodgers beats him out for MVP, which I think a lot of Bills fans would like to see Allen achieve.

Yea I am sure those MVP voters will be knocking points off for 68%, 317 yards and 4 touchdowns

And so far he is:

4th in yards

3rd in ypa

2nd in completion %

T-1st in touchdown passes

I don't think he, or Bills fans, have anything to worry about on that score.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am sure those MVP voters will be knocking points off for 68%, 317 yards and 4 touchdowns

Any voter of consequence will know he did that in 3 quarters causing the Titans to put up the white flag.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I think it usually comes down to totals. Wins, comp%, Yards, TD's and INT ratio.

Exactly. If Josh Allen is the QB of the 14 win Bills throwing over 35 touchdowns the MVP will naturally follow. 

So make sure you win games. Best way to win games? Pull your starters when up 41-7 against a team waving the white flag. 

Well done in finding the flaw in your own argument.

44 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

iirc in the 56-10 game, Brady played the whole game. 

Not saying it's what I want Allen to do, but it's how QB's end up with absurd stats, which is the primary prereq for that award.

Wrong...

7 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

How distressing would it be to Dolphins fans if the Allen still crushes them...

It would be like every other year.

6 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Tom Brady would not have sat out the 4th qtr.

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

If you want Allen to get the MVP...

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

I'm fine with the injury prevention. But for MVP purposes, if he played the 4th qtr he could have had 100 more yards and two more TD's. 

At first I thought you were joking, but then it became apparent you just went full on troll! If you were trying to be funny you definitely missed the mark.

Also, let’s say that Josh stayed in the game-why would they continue to throw the ball at that point? This isn’t college football where guys are playing podunk state late in the 4th quarter to try and pad their heisman stats 

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

It's a big jump and usually there is a learning curve. Clearly, reports throughout camp and pre season shows that's the case with Elam. Also, Benford is a great story but he's a 6th round pick for a reason. Right now, I see both as weakness in the secondary because of their inexperience and learning curve. Hopefully, they will continue to grow, learn, develop, and limit their mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking...

They allowed 191 yards passing and 107 yards passing in their first 2 games of the season.  Those are absolutely ridiculous totals in the era of the passer and garbage time stats. Pretty sure they will be fine.

7 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Well, it usually doesn't pan out when a sub-par QB is given shiny toys, but Tua wasn't having a game like that last season so... 

Tua has had a good game here and there like all average QBs do. But he didn't even have a good game, he had a good second half... 

For all the Miami doomers that show up in our game day threads worried about how the dolphins schedule is easier, we have just one non nfc north non afc north division winner to go (aka games not in common with Miami) and we are going at worst 2-1 in those games. 

Miami has yet to play one of those games and they’ve got the chargers who looked arguably better than kc last week and SF who got a huge qb upgrade Sunday.  Houston should be a relatively easy win for them 

Id say from this point on Miami has the more difficult schedule

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

They allowed 191 yards passing and 107 yards passing in their first 2 games of the season.  Those are absolutely ridiculous totals in the era of the passer and garbage time stats. Pretty sure they will be fine.

The stats only tell a portion of the story. The Rams oline was as porous as can be. Bills had relentless pressure on Stafford without blitzing. The Titans just plain suck in the passing game. Tanny is average at best and they probably have the worst WR core in the league. Both were recipes for the secondary to excell. I'd say thus far they really haven't been tested. Miami with Waddle and Hill should be a better test for the Bills.

15 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The stats only tell a portion of the story. The Rams oline was as porous as can be. Bills had relentless pressure on Stafford without blitzing. The Titans just plain suck in the passing game. Tanny is average at best and they probably have the worst WR core in the league. Both were recipes for the secondary to excell. I'd say thus far they really haven't been tested. Miami with Waddle and Hill should be a better test for the Bills.

If this was a random two game sample I might agree with you.  The Bills have been the #1 pass defense in the NFL for like 2.5 years now. The number of games they have held opponents to under 200 yards passing in that time is ridiculous...as Orlovsky said during the broadcast, the Bills make it hard to complete even 4 or 5 yard passes...there are no easy completions against them. 

Over the last 34 games teams AVERAGE 210 yards passing against them...that is just absurd. In 20 of the last 34 reg season games, teams did not reach 200 yards passing against us...statistically, it is more likely(58.8%) you will be held under 200 yards passing by this Bills defense than go over 200 yards...unheard of in the NFL these days.

Circled all the categories they are #1 in.

image.thumb.png.b5d8a13eef4ee1fd44b7809f9677c8ec.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If this was a random two game sample I might agree with you.  The Bills have been the #1 pass defense in the NFL for like 2.5 years now. The number of games they have held opponents to under 200 yards passing in that time is ridiculous...

Circled all the categories they are #1 in.

image.thumb.png.b5d8a13eef4ee1fd44b7809f9677c8ec.png

And that was with an average to below average pass rush. Groot year 2 + Von is a huge upgrade over Jerry and Addison. 

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If this was a random two game sample I might agree with you.  The Bills have been the #1 pass defense in the NFL for like 2.5 years now.

Every year is different. No doubt the Bills defense has excelled. I believe this years defense with its new additions is and will be even better. Getting a healthy Tre back while the young CBs get valuable game time experience is a scary scenario for opposing offenses. Barring injuries this team is scary good. My early call is the Chargers and the Chiefs are the only 2 teams in the AFC that have the talent to compete and beat the Bills.

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Miami has the worst offensive line of those three teams…will that game not count also if our defense looks good?  We are likely going to pressure them pretty heavily without blitzing…NE really got after them and likely wins that game if the pats offense didn’t make so many mistakes 

Miami scored one offensive TD that game and it was poor tackling on a 4th and 6 before the half 

the KC offensive line is infinitely better, people are talkin like adding tyreek has turned the dolphins into the 2020s Kansas City chiefs 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Every year is different. No doubt the Bills defense has excelled. I believe this years defense with its new additions is and will be even better. Getting a healthy Tre back while the young CBs get valuable game time experience is a scary scenario for opposing offenses. Barring injuries this team is scary good. My early call is the Chargers and the Chiefs are the only 2 teams in the AFC that have the talent to compete and beat the Bills.

Would it surprise you to know the Bills have surprisingly had better pass defense stats without Tre the last 7 games than they had with him? Since he has been out the Bills have averaged allowing 187.5 YPG passing, an opposing completion percentage of 55.4% and an opposing QB rating of 65.2. Just fantastic DB play all around, great coaching and great scheme to minimize the impact his loss has had.

Edited by Big Turk

After last night I may have to re-evaluate things.

Obviously still early but I'm really not sure the Bills don't run roughshot over the rest of the division after all including the Dolphins this week.

There will be a bad game and/or game they drop unexpectedly at some point but I now I think going into Miami and winning is more likely outcome than before last night.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Obviously still early but I'm really not sure the Bills don't run roughshot over the rest of the division after all including the Dolphins this week.

There will be a bad game and/or game they drop unexpectedly at some point but I now I think going into Miami and winning is more likely outcome than before last night.

Injuries are what is worrisome here. Our depth will be tested now. When they get healthy they will get better. That is scary for the rest of the league because they are pretty good right now.

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Would it surprise you to know the Bills have surprisingly had better pass defense stats without Tre the last 7 games than they had with him? Since he has been out the Bills have averaged allowing 187.5 YPG passing, an opposing completion percentage of 55.4% and an opposing QB rating of 65.2. Just fantastic DB play all around, great coaching and great scheme to minimize the impact his loss has had.

Like I said stats only tell a portion of the story. No doubt the defense has played well. There is no way that the defense is better without Tre. Stats show otherwise and that proves my point. Sure could have used Tre in that AFC playoff game vs the Chiefs. 

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Never thought I would see the day.  I'm impressed.  Depending on how our injuries work out this game did get easier for Miami though.  Bryant is not bad but he is no Phillips. Hopefully Milano and Hyde will not be big injuries and be well enough to play.  I dont think Miami has the D to stop our O but with all the injuries, we might not have the D to stop their speed either.  This could be a very high scoring game.  Have to see how our injuries pan out.  Our rooks still did a pretty damn good job last night.

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I don’t think an nfl mvp has ever won the super bowl. Let’s pump the brakes on the mvp talk 

How long do you have to read the list of things that Josh Allen and these Bills have done that nobody else has ever done?

What's one more thing to add to it?

Just now, Big Turk said:

How long do you have to read the list of things that Josh Allen and these Bills have done that nobody else has ever done?

What's one more thing to add to it?

Kurt Warner did it so i've already retracted my statement. I can be afraid of curses. I thought there was a curse on mvp players winning the super bowl. I'm riding with mvp of the league and super bowl win 

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Kurt Warner did it so i've already retracted my statement. I can be afraid of curses. I thought there was a curse on mvp players winning the super bowl. I'm riding with mvp of the league and super bowl win 

I could have sworn somebody else also did it but im not 100% positive.  I honestly dont care about MVP.  Just get us that Lombardi.  Josh will win at least one eventually.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.