What Daboll did in the final seconds of the Giants game (relates to 13 seconds)

Einstein

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Daboll lead Giants had a 1 point lead and needed to stop Tennessee from getting into field goal range.

With 0:45 seconds left, Daboll had a clear strategy. Just hold their wide receivers. They were holding them every play and got called for it twice on the final drive. Clear and blatant and purposeful holding.

I imagine that Daboll figured: “So what if we get a penalty?” Defensive holding is only 5 yards and the opponents wastes 5-10 seconds off the clock each play that you’re holding them. 

It worked really well - at least until a CB got turned around and gave up a long pass. But the technique clearly worked for wasting clock. 

I have to wonder whether this technique was something discussed by the Bills coaches in the meetings after the 13 second ending and Daboll brought it with him to the Giants. Blatantly holding Kelce, Hill, etc in those 13 seconds likely would have burned enough clock to win the game.

Ok Einstein - yet the titans did move to well with FG range at a closer range than the Bills KC game.  The difference was the kicker.

Also the Giants held twice on the drive, but allowed 4 additional completions - several that went out of bounds to stop the clock - so if the strategy was to hold and prevent plays they did a bad job.

Also both times they held was on 3rd down giving automatic 1st downs rather than 4th downs.

Maybe it was the plan, but boy they allowed them to move the ball down the field with completions rather easily if that was the plan.

That plan would of made sense for Buffalo - assuming they did not get called for intentional fouls if it was blatantly done.  You also have to hope they don’t call DPI as that is a spot foul in the NFL for that reason.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

The rule is that you can’t commit MULTIPLE fouls on the SAME down.

So you CAN have:

1st down: Holding

1st down again: Normal Play

2nd down: Holding

So you want us to talk football theory without any examples of situations it could possibly help or hinder in?

We need to make up scenarios that never happened to talk out game ideas and theories?

Ridiculousness in my opinion. Personally I would suggest not going into a thread and posting in it if you don’t like the topic.

Einstein - 

The rule is designed so that if a team intentionally commits multiple fouls on the same down - it essentially nullifies the down and gives them 15 yards.

This means on 1st down - if the Bills had intentionally held both Kelce and Hill to prevent a completion (multiple fouls intentionally on the same down).  The Refs could award a 15 yard penalty and reset the game clock to :13 seconds.

So if the Bills had intentionally tackled Hill and Kelce (or held them near the LOS right off the snap and prevented them from their route) on the first play and the NFL chose to use this - which would depend on how blatant it was - it would have gone to 1st and 10 on the KC 40 with :13 seconds left.

The bolded does not mean anything.  It is on 1 specific play - if the defense has multiple fouls deemed intentional to manipulate the clock - ie allow the time to run off by preventing the WRs from getting out to a route - the NFL can enforce this.  I believe this was added due to that exact scenario happening several years ago.

Just like the NFL addressed the NE manipulation of the clock on punts.  They look for these and address them when possible.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Daboll lead Giants had a 1 point lead and needed to stop Tennessee from getting into field goal range.

With 0:45 seconds left, Daboll had a clear strategy. Just hold their wide receivers. They were holding them every play and got called for it twice on the final drive. Clear and blatant and purposeful holding.

I imagine that Daboll figured: “So what if we get a penalty?” Defensive holding is only 5 yards and the opponents wastes 5-10 seconds off the clock each play that you’re holding them. 

It worked really well - at least until a CB got turned around and gave up a long pass. But the technique clearly worked for wasting clock. 

I have to wonder whether this technique was something discussed by the Bills coaches in the meetings after the 13 second ending and Daboll brought it with him to the Giants. Blatantly holding Kelce, Hill, etc in those 13 seconds likely would have burned enough clock to win the game.

Based on playing at home the following week and how we just whipped the Rams ,  not holding with only 13 secs may have cost the Bills their first title. You rush 3 with a spy and just tackle receivers at the line chewing up 5-6 secs. You can only do this on one play during a series. We gave up an easy 20 yards to Hill with DB's playing so far off the line and then repeated stupid with Kelce. Either way I think we can all agree the Bills coaches made a bunch of poor choices to end that game and it cost us. I don't buy or accept the kicker did not know about squib kick,  Sean needs to go on the field himself and tell him what he wants. I am pretty sure they have new process in place for late game situations with a lead.

I was more upset seeing how elite Saquon Barkley looked and thinking how most fans in Buffalo did not want him and some were naive enough to believe anyone currently on our team is near as good. The dude is big and explosive,  something this team does not have at this time

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Einstein - 

The rule is designed so that if a team intentionally commits multiple fouls on the same down - it essentially nullifies the down and gives them 15 yards.

This means on 1st down - if the Bills had intentionally held both Kelce and Hill to prevent a completion (multiple fouls intentionally on the same down).  The Refs could award a 15 yard penalty and reset the game clock to :13 seconds.

So if the Bills had intentionally tackled Hill and Kelce (or held them near the LOS right off the snap and prevented them from their route) on the first play and the NFL chose to use this - which would depend on how blatant it was - it would have gone to 1st and 10 on the KC 40 with :13 seconds left.

The bolded does not mean anything.  It is on 1 specific play - if the defense has multiple fouls deemed intentional to manipulate the clock - ie allow the time to run off by preventing the WRs from getting out to a route - the NFL can enforce this.  I believe this was added due to that exact scenario happening several years ago.

Just like the NFL addressed the NE manipulation of the clock on punts.  They look for these and address them when possible.

You can only call one penalty won each play,  so they could have done this on first down but not second down.

5 hours ago, Billsguy said:

All the Titans had to do was make a fairly routine FG at the end to win the game. The Giants should have lost. Daboll is definitely not a genius.

Well, the Titans are a significantly better team on paper than the Giants.  If they play that game a million times, the Giants would lose a majority of the time -- probably like 70% or so.  (I don't recall what the line was).  

When you have the inferior team, variance is your friend.  That's why going for two at the end was such a good decision.  Their odds of pulling off an improbable upset are quite a bit better if you roll the dice on one play from two yards out than if you play for overtime.

As for the Titans missing a FG, Daboll doesn't play defense.  He made a call that put his team in the best position possible to win the game.  That's a good thing for coaches to do.

Not only did the Bills not make the optimal calls but they made the complete wrong decisions after they scored with 13 seconds left.  Squib, playing a prevent defending the sidelines....just wrong.   Just lining up and playing it more like a typical drive would have been suboptimal but better than what they did.   Basically they said, here we will let you try a 48 yard FG to tie.   Not sure I am over it but I have moved on.  Dabol probably learned from it as well as McDermott.

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

This whole point is moot if the Titans just made a 47 yard FG in good weather.  It's not like this strategy put the Titans in like a 55+ yard FG, where it's a difficult shot.

47 yarders are successful around 72% of the time.  

I was never a big Daboll fan but I can’t understand the apparent ‘hate’ on here for him. He had NOTHING to do with the Bills strategy against the Chiefs last year. I think it’s great that the Giants won. Good for them. (If Patriots fans hated every former coach that’s now with another team they wouldn’t get any sleep whatsoever.) 

8 hours ago, Draconator said:

Are we still talking about 13 seconds? It's a new season for Christ sakes! Let it die. 

Are you new around here?  People will never let it die. If the Bills win the SB some people will B word that it should have been two in a row. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes, the best thing would have been to just wrap up every player you can and not let them go anywhere. Two plays of doing that and the game would have been essentially over.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDermott knew this but chose not to do it.  He often talks about not only winning, but winning the right way. McD seems to have a lot of respect for the game and his opponents, I get the sense he would believe if he can't line up and play football and win that way then they don't deserve to win.

I think he would probably have been sick to his stomach if he did it and had to resort to winning that way...especially in front of his good friend and mentor Andy Reid.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This whole point is moot if the Titans just made a 47 yard FG in good weather.  It's not like this strategy put the Titans in like a 55+ yard FG, where it's a difficult shot.

47 yarders are successful around 72% of the time.  

Sure. But the point is that the strategy burned block. They just had way more clock to burn than we did and they got beat once.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.