What Daboll did in the final seconds of the Giants game (relates to 13 seconds)

Einstein

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Einstein - 

The rule is designed so that if a team intentionally commits multiple fouls on the same down - it essentially nullifies the down and gives them 15 yards.

This means on 1st down - if the Bills had intentionally held both Kelce and Hill to prevent a completion (multiple fouls intentionally on the same down).  The Refs could award a 15 yard penalty and reset the game clock to :13 seconds.

So if the Bills had intentionally tackled Hill and Kelce (or held them near the LOS right off the snap and prevented them from their route) on the first play and the NFL chose to use this - which would depend on how blatant it was - it would have gone to 1st and 10 on the KC 40 with :13 seconds left.

The bolded does not mean anything.  It is on 1 specific play - if the defense has multiple fouls deemed intentional to manipulate the clock - ie allow the time to run off by preventing the WRs from getting out to a route - the NFL can enforce this.  I believe this was added due to that exact scenario happening several years ago.

Just like the NFL addressed the NE manipulation of the clock on punts.  They look for these and address them when possible.

Have you ever seen this rule applied or called, ever?

I haven’t.

And it wasn’t applied yesterday when Daboll did it.

I can’t say for sure but I doubt McD was concerned about an obscure rule that was never called when he made his decision to play 10+ yards off the WR’s in the final seconds.

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Ok Einstein - yet the titans did move to well with FG range at a closer range than the Bills KC game.  The difference was the kicker.

Yes because their CB got turned around on one play and got beat. And they had 3.5x more clock to burn than the Bills did.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Perfect example.

People can quote obscure rules if they want, but the league doesn’t enforce it and i’ve never seen it called.

Brilliant move by the Ravens.

There are tons of obscure rules that are never called. For example, if the quarterback is under center and doesn’t catch the snap, and the ball goes between his legs, he has to be the next player to touch the ball. If any other player touches the ball before the quarterback (even the defense) it’s ruled as a false start by the offense. Now, how often do you see that craziness called?

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Only Einstein could turn a defense unintentionally committing a penalty into a brilliant strategy. 

What a brilliant strategy to let the Titans miss a field goal. 

It was not unintentional. They blatantly held them on every single play of the final drive. It was a clear strategy.

The Titans did finally get into field goal range after one of their CB’s got turned around but that has nothing to do with the strategy; it was just bad CB play.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It was not unintentional. They blatantly held them on every single play of the final drive. It was a clear strategy.

The Titans did finally get into field goal range after one of their CB’s got turned around but that has nothing to do with the strategy; it was just bad CB play.

I think you aren't understanding the rule.

If the Titans were intentionally holding, they would only be able to do it to 1 player on the field, on 1 down. They wouldn't be able to hold every WR/TE/RB going out on a route, that would incure a 15 yard penalty. I didn't see anything on the live broadcast showing all the Giants defenders each holding a player on those final plays.

The reason you haven't seen it, I would assume, is because teams know you can't do that. Sure, you could hold one player and you would only get a 5 yard penalty. My question is, how would you know which player to hold? How do you know who the play would be designed to go to? So you hold Tyreek Hill and then what happens with Kelce?

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if McDermott knew this but chose not to do it.  He often talks about not only winning, but winning the right way. McD seems to have a lot of respect for the game and his opponents, I get the sense he would believe if he can't line up and play football and win that way then they don't deserve to win.

I think he would probably have been sick to his stomach if he did it and had to resort to winning that way...especially in front of his good friend and mentor Andy Reid.

We'll, it's apparently against the rules now, so they could have been called on that.

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Perfect example.

People can quote obscure rules if they want, but the league doesn’t enforce it and i’ve never seen it called.

Brilliant move by the Ravens.

There are tons of obscure rules that are never called. For example, if the quarterback is under center and doesn’t catch the snap, and the ball goes between his legs, he has to be the next player to touch the ball. If any other player touches the ball before the quarterback (even the defense) it’s ruled as a false start by the offense. Now, how often do you see that craziness called?

Its the perfect example because it was LEGAL during that point in time.  The rule was changed because of the tactic.

Are we really trying to say "Rarely called rules shouldnt be followed and dont alleviate an excuse I'm trying to use to point out a Bill's blunder?"  Because I think that's ignorant.

Are there things that happen during the game that MIGHT pass the refs eye due to it being a weird rule by nature?  I'm sure it happens.

Do you gameplan to purposefully break rules and hope the ref doesn't call it?  That's loser mentality.  Especially when you plan to blatantly break them in a game deciding moment.

How about the refs calling unsportsmanlike on the Bears for using a towel to dry the field yesterday.  We could be talking about how the refs called a rarely called rule, some would say obscure, and it had a big impact on the game (cost them a chance at 3 points).

Let's not overthink everything for a motive.  Play good football when you need to.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a missed 47 yard FG.  

Yes?

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think you aren't understanding the rule.

If the Titans were intentionally holding, they would only be able to do it to 1 player on the field, on 1 down. They wouldn't be able to hold every WR/TE/RB going out on a route, that would incure a 15 yard penalty. I didn't see anything on the live broadcast showing all the Giants defenders each holding a player on those final plays.

Except teams have done it. Several times. And the rule has never been called to my knowledge. Someone posted a Ravens team doing it a few years ago.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I and others brought that up on gameday that the Bills should have done that.  However there is this that changed in 2017

"

ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK

A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock.

Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap."

The Bills should have definitely did it on the first play.

There's also some sort of rule about "patently unfair acts" or whatever.  It was brought up when there was that rash of coaches (Steelers and Jets) deliberately tripping players on the sidelines to prevent touchdowns or other big plays.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.