What Daboll did in the final seconds of the Giants game (relates to 13 seconds)

Einstein

The Daboll lead Giants had a 1 point lead and needed to stop Tennessee from getting into field goal range.

With 0:45 seconds left, Daboll had a clear strategy. Just hold their wide receivers. They were holding them every play and got called for it twice on the final drive. Clear and blatant and purposeful holding.

I imagine that Daboll figured: “So what if we get a penalty?” Defensive holding is only 5 yards and the opponents wastes 5-10 seconds off the clock each play that you’re holding them. 

It worked really well - at least until a CB got turned around and gave up a long pass. But the technique clearly worked for wasting clock. 

I have to wonder whether this technique was something discussed by the Bills coaches in the meetings after the 13 second ending and Daboll brought it with him to the Giants. Blatantly holding Kelce, Hill, etc in those 13 seconds likely would have burned enough clock to win the game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I and others brought that up on gameday that the Bills should have done that.  However there is this that changed in 2017

"

ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK

A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock.

Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap."

The Bills should have definitely did it on the first play.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I and others brought that up on gameday that the Bills should have done that.  However there is this that changed in 2017

"

A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock.

Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap."

Yea I remember this coming up in the days after the game.   

The time to do it was that first play the Chiefs ran.  Then only rush 2 guys on the 2nd play.  Should have only rushed 2 both plays.  

Whatever.  We're moving on.  

Burn it all. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

"

Did not know about that rule. It says the same down, so you wouldn't technically be able to do that for even one play, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

"

Have you ever seen it called? I haven’t.

And even if it was, the rule states “on the same down”.

So the Bills could have held the Chiefs WR’s for 5-7 seconds on first down and then not again. That would have taken half the clock away right off the bat. The equivalent of a squib kick of time taken off.

11 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Are we still talking about 13 seconds? It's a new season for Christ sakes! Let it die. 

No, we’re talking football strategy. It matters this year and all years.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve seen the Ravens use this strategy before years ago.

Multiple players holding

Equals 15 yards with no time ran off the clock … It’s a slippery slope to just tell your players to grab wide receivers

Play sound Defense is the better answer

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Have you ever seen it called? I haven’t.

And even if it was, the rule states “on the same down”.

So the Bills could have held the Chiefs WR’s for 5-7 seconds on first down and then not again. That would have taken half the clock away right off the bat. The equivalent of a squib kick of time taken off.

No, we’re talking football strategy. It matters this year and all years.

Thats why I said the Bills should have done it at least on first play

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Did not know about that rule. It says the same down, so you wouldn't technically be able to do that for even one play, I guess.

The rule is that you can’t commit MULTIPLE fouls on the SAME down.

So you CAN have:

1st down: Holding

1st down again: Normal Play

2nd down: Holding

Just now, Draconator said:

But you're reflecting on the past which never results in anything positive. And we can't predict the future. All we can focus on is the present. 

So you want us to talk football theory without any examples of situations it could possibly help or hinder in?

We need to make up scenarios that never happened to talk out game ideas and theories?

Ridiculousness in my opinion. Personally I would suggest not going into a thread and posting in it if you don’t like the topic.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The rule is that you can’t commit MULTIPLE fouls on the SAME down.

So you CAN have:

1st down: Holding

1st down again: Normal Play

2nd down: Holding

So you want us to talk football theory without any examples of situations it could possibly help or hinder in?

We need to make up scenarios that never happened to talk out game ideas and theories?

Ridiculousness in my opinion. Personally I would suggest not going into a thread and posting in it if you don’t like the topic.

But you for the majority post on the negative side of things. It's a reflection of you. Not of me. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

"

Of course, if the refs consider your team is committing DPI and not DH, Congratulations, you just gifted the opponent some Big Yards.

The thing is, the G-men really didn't stop the Titans with the DH stuff.  They marched right down the field from the Tenn 30 to the Giants 29 yd line, which is a perfectly makeable FG distance.  They did it in 1:02 leaving :04 for the kick.  Just the Titans bad luck/execution that they didn't make the FG and win.

And, the two DH penalties that were called GIFTED THE TITANS 1st downs on two successive 3rd and 4's.  So they basically had the same result (and took the same time) as some of their short passes.

If it was deliberate and not just mistakes or habitual DB grabbiness that the refs decided to call to keep the end of the game exciting ....I'm not seeing why gifting your opponent 2 first downs that take him towards, then across, midfield, would be accounted a Genius Coaching Strategy?  Don't get me wrong, I like Daboll, but if this is deliberate, Why?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.