Ed Oliver injury

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Why is it that Jordan Phillips gets all these sacks and Ed doesn’t?

In his entire career, Jordan Phillips has had exactly one year where he had more than 3 sacks.

Ed Oliver has never had a year where he has had less than three sacks.

Over the last 3 years Ed Oliver has had almost 120 tackles while Jordan Philips has had 65

In the same time frame, Ed Oliver has had twice as many stuffs as Phillips has.

I bet if you could add up how many doubles they've faced in that time, Ed would be dealing with twice as many of those too.

Phillips flashes pretty on occasion, but he is nowhere near as good a ballplayer as Oliver.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Moss? I wouldn’t be surprised if Cook is inactive. 

What did Moss do to keep himself active?  He had 2.5 yards per carry and 3.5 yards per catch with a fumble, despite leading Bills RB's in total touches, plus a fumble.  

Moss literally had the worst game of any player on either side of the ball yesterday.  The rookie, also had his fumble, but he at least brings another dimension to the offense they want to use in his receiving skills.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

How is Gilliam?  The dude is the unsung hero-Swiss army knife.  I’m sure he’s a favorite in the film room 

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What did Moss do to keep himself active?  He had 2.5 yards per carry and 3.5 yards per catch with a fumble, despite leading Bills RB's in total touches, plus a fumble.  

Moss literally had the worst game of any player on either side of the ball yesterday.  The rookie, also had his fumble, but he at least brings another dimension to the offense they want to use in his receiving skills.  

Moss had his chance to showcase himself after Cooks fumble.  He ran hard, but didn’t do anything on any of his touches

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

If there's any chance that the injury he has is the type that can easily be re-aggravated, I'd rather they hold him out next week, even if he COULD play.

Bills have one of the best medical staffs in the league, so I'll trust whatever they say of course. But sometimes, you have to protect a player from himself.

So many times in the past 40 years I've seen the same thing happen and the guy goes out and plays lights out.  Can recall in the Super Bowl run era, think it was Kelly, came back quicker than many thought he should and was great.

The issue is your comparing professional athletes and normal people.  It's different for them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I heard on the radio that McDermott said Basham is day to day.  That seems to rule out a high ankle sprain.  With 11 days from the Rams to the Titans, it does not seem as if the injury will affect personnel decisions.

The half bye is a nice bonus to get the team 100% healthy for a very physical Titans team.

• Like (+1) 1

he came back after halftime.  likely tweaked whatever “minor” issue it was and the boot os just precautionary.  I think he plays next week.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think if Ed is down they activate Shaq and Boogie plays more 3T. His tip and INT was lining up in the 3T. 

If Ed is up they keep the same 8. But AJE is clearly their DE3 after Greg and Von. 

AJE at 3 is blah. 

• Disagree 2

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I heard on the radio that McDermott said Oliver is day to day.  That seems to rule out a high ankle sprain.  With 11 days from the Rams to the Titans, it does not seem as if the injury will affect personnel decisions.

I don’t think he could have gone back into the game on a high ankle sprain.  Seems like it was a general sprain which is a relief.

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

he came back after halftime.  likely tweaked whatever “minor” issue it was and the boot os just precautionary.  I think he plays next week.  

AJE at 3 is blah. 

AJE had 1.5 sacks and 3 QB hits last night.  He was very good last night.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, he has plenty of time to be ready and if not, we got beasts waiting in the wings to fill in.  

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Moss inactive next week.  He had the most touches by end of the game, mostly because Bills built a 2 score lead, but he did squat with those touches and was highly ineffective with a fumble.  

Im not down on him, but clearly, Devin is the best back on the roster and will, and should, dominate the carries.  

What? Moss had several powerful, first down runs.

• Disagree 2

Just now, foreboding said:

Yeah, when he had any room to operate he dropped the hammer on people a couple times.

There were also a few times that he had OLinemen in his lap as soon as he got the ball and he did well to get a yard or two out of it.

He's not going to make people miss, but he's good in multiple facets of the game and the coaches clearly trust him with a variety of responsibilities.

I don't know why so many people dump on him all the time, he's a tough ballplayer and there is absolutely a role for him on this team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

42 minutes ago, foreboding said:

38 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah, when he had any room to operate he dropped the hammer on people a couple times.

There were also a few times that he had OLinemen in his lap as soon as he got the ball and he did well to get a yard or two out of it.

He's not going to make people miss, but he's good in multiple facets of the game and the coaches clearly trust him with a variety of responsibilities.

I don't know why so many people dump on him all the time, he's a tough ballplayer and there is absolutely a role for him on this team.

He had the most touches, averaged 2.5 yards per carry and 3.5 yards per catch...and he fumbled.  

• Moss:  6 carries for 15 yards (2.5 ypc) and 6 rec for 21 yards (3.5 yards per catch). 
    • NOTE:  8 of his 15 yards came on one carry.  His other 5 carries went for 7 yards and a fumble (1.4 ypc)
  • Devin:  8 carries for 48 yards (6 ypc) and 2 rec for 7 yards (7 yards per catch).

Devin was literally two to three times as effective in every facet of the game, and did not turn the ball over. 

But that is not even the issue...the issue is our RB's only got 15 carries...when you have only 15 rush attempts, you get your best player most, if not all, those carries.  That is not a heavy workload for a RB.  And Devin is without question the better player.  

Devin runs just as hard, if not harder than Moss and with better vision.  Moss has this myth about him that he somehow the more powerful runner and better short yardage back, but it's just not accurate.  There isn't anything Moss does better than Devin...and I don't say that as if Moss is a bum, it's just Devin is flat out better and has been every day these two have been on the roster. 

I am not down on Moss, nothing personally against him, but he honestly had the worst game of any player on either side of the ball Thursday night.  If we were a heavy running team, then great, split the carries.  But given the limited amount of carries our RB's typically see, we don't need a committee to handle that workload.  Give the better player the touches.   

So, it's not that I am down on Moss, I just don't want to limit our better RB to 8 carries to get a RB that is not better than Devin at anything touches.  And while Cook fumbled too, he at least brings more dynamics to the RB group with his speed and receiving skills.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Moss has this myth about him that he somehow the more powerful runner and better short yardage back, but it's just not accurate.  There isn't anything Moss does better than Devin

I don't agree with this at all.

Motor is certainly a better ballcarrier with better vision and more wiggle, but Moss is still a better blocker, a better short yardage back and a better pass receiver. I think all of those things are self-evident.

I do agree that they need Singletary more involved and both of their backs need more touches to take some pressure off Allen and minimize the wear and tear that is inevitably going to start accumulating. 

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am not down on Moss, nothing personally against him, but he honestly had the worst game of any player on either side of the ball Thursday night.

That's just flat out silly; 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Motor is certainly a better ballcarrier with better vision and more wiggle, but Moss is still a better blocker, a better short yardage back and a better pass receiver. I think all of those things are self-evident.

I do agree that they need Singletary more involved and both of their backs need more touches to take some pressure off Allen and minimize the wear and tear that is inevitably going to start accumulating. 

Ok, let me ask you a question then.  Why do you think Moss is a better pass receiver?  Motor had 40 receptions last year on 50 targets for an 80% catch rate.  Moss had a 71% catch rate last year on his 23 receptions.  

That is what I mean when I say a "myth".  I do not mean that to be people are lying, I just think there are a lot of beliefs about Moss compared to Devin that don't actually hold up statistically.  I wouldn't have an issue if someone wants to say they are similar as receivers, but statistically Moss has not proven he is a "better" receiver than Devin.  

As far as the short yardage goes, the stats do not support Moss as being better either.  

Yards per carry:  Devin 4.6, Moss 3.6

Yards before contact/att:  Devin 2.3, Moss 1.5

Yards after contact/att:  Devin 2.3, Moss 2.1

Tackled for loss rate:  Devin 6.4%, Moss 9.4%

If we look at their stats, Devin gets more yards before being touched by a wide margin, and then gets more yards after contact too.  He also has a significantly lower tackled for loss rate.  

So for me, this is why I say it is kind of a myth that Moss is better than Devin in these areas.  I think it has more to do with how underestimated Devin is though in these areas than anything.  He has really powerful legs and low center of gravity and always finishes with the pile moving forward.  He gets in the hole faster and finds creases better too.  

And this post wasn't meant to be argumentative, more explaining why I think some these beliefs about Moss compared to Devin are more myth than factual IMO.  And like I said, I think it has a lot more to do with Devin being underestimated than Moss being over exaggerated.  

All good man, just my 2 cents 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.