Rolling blackouts imminent for the People's Republic of California

Big Blitz

24 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What is one of the reasons for inflation which is now economic enemy #1?  

I’ll give you a hint. It’s something you’re rooting for in this thread. 😏

Hoax

Min wage has not increased in 12 years. 

$7.25/hour in 2009 is now $5.75/hour today with inflation - meanwhile billionaires and corporate America have made record profits and paid record low taxes.

Solution: Raise the min wage and reverse Trumps tax cut for billionaires and corporate America.

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Hoax

Min wage has not increased in 12 years. 

$7.25/hour in 2009 is now $5.75/hour today with inflation - meanwhile billionaires and corporate America have made record profits and paid record low taxes.

Solution: Raise the min wage and reverse Trumps tax cut for billionaires and corporate America.

Funny you should bring up inflation while talking about raising minimum wage.  How do wages affect inflation?  

You do understand the grownups are talking about CA minimum wage right?

Couple questions.

1.  Why, with the huge disparity of cost of living from state to state, do we have a federal minimum wage 

2.  Why increase the minimum wage only for fast food workers?  How would you feel if you were a person stocking shelves at Walmart?  

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Funny you should bring up inflation while talking about raising minimum wage.  How do wages affect inflation?  

You do understand the grownups are talking about CA minimum wage right?

Couple questions.

1.  Why, with the huge disparity of cost of living from state to state, do we have a federal minimum wage 

2.  Why increase the minimum wage only for fast food workers?  How would you feel if you were a person stocking shelves at Walmart?  

1) There should be a fed min wage because it’s clear red states don’t give a F about their people.  

2) I didn’t write the bill in Cali.  You live there. Why don’t you do something about it instead of bich about it here?

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

1) There should be a fed min wage because it’s clear red states don’t give a F about their people.  

2) I didn’t write the bill in Cali.  You live there. Why don’t you do something about it instead of bich about it here?

1.  I see. This is why people are fleeing CA and NY for places like TX and FL?   Explain that “phenomenon” please.  

2. So you have no answer?   That’s fine. Just say so.  But the first step to fixing something like this is to understand why it’s happening in the first place. 

3.  So you feel raising the pay for FF workers by 42% is good or bad for inflation?  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, Big Blitz said:

Hope we get the game in Thursday 

here you go....

The region's grid operator, the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO), has already warned of potential capacity shortfalls and other reliability concerns in the north and central regions of its coverage area.

MISO operates the power grid for some 42 million people in 15 U.S. Central states from Minnesota to Louisiana and the Canadian province of Manitoba.

The northern and central regions of MISO's coverage are at "increased risk of temporary, controlled outages to preserve the integrity of the bulk electric system," MISO has said.

Edited by nedboy7

21 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

There's a reason California LOST congressional seats. 

They are losing more than that. People are leaving the state in record numbers. To live in CA you have to be extremely wealthy. The middle class and poor can't afford it anymore. You see so many homeless people living on the streets especially in Pelosi land (SF).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They are losing more than that. People are leaving the state in record numbers. To live in CA you have to be extremely wealthy. The middle class and poor can't afford it anymore. You see so many homeless people living on the streets especially in Pelosi land (SF).

Wow!  I’m extremely wealthy.  Woohoo!!  

Just now, Greg S said:

Which is way they've lost seats in the House. I would never want to live in California. What's amazing... the northern half of the state is very conservative and it's the big cities ruining it all. My fiancé is from a small town between Sacramento and Tahoe (not far from Firebaugh) and they are ALL conservative. 

Texas, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada is getting a surge of Californians.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't read the thread. The title alone read very antagonistic towards the state of California. What I can say after having lived here is there IS and ARE very conservative sections of the state (orange County, Military presence etc)  Many Many people who moved here in the 80's - 90's  have purchased a home . kept it upgraded and nice. The amount we pay on a mortgage I couldn't rent a studio here. It is ridiculously expensive to rent here. We have equity which is key.  Our investment has increased five going on 6 fold. So we were lucky and blessed to have purchased when we did . We have solar electric so our bill even during this heatwave is almost nil. Solar is hugely popular as you can imagine. Anyway I received a blaring Power Flex Alert. Being off the energy grid has its definite advantages. Most all of our friends, church family etc make it work living here the same way. Homes are passed on to family members or THEY wouldnt be able to afford to live here either. Although not rich they are doing fine. Just sayin'

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It was a general statement. The population in CA is declining as more and more people can't afford to live there. That is a fact.

To live in CA you NEED to be extremely wealthy doesn’t sound like a general statement. 

Most of the people I know that have left or that are considering leaving have more to do with the politics and CA turning into a third world shithole in many places than not being able to afford it.  But I guess that’s because I hang around with extremely wealthy people like me. 😉

16 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

1.  I see. This is why people are fleeing CA and NY for places like TX and FL?   Explain that “phenomenon” please.  

2. So you have no answer?   That’s fine. Just say so.  But the first step to fixing something like this is to understand why it’s happening in the first place. 

3.  So you feel raising the pay for FF workers by 42% is good or bad for inflation?  

1. I can guarantee you people living on min wage are NOT fleeing to Texas and Florida.

2a. I gave you my answer - get rid of the Trump tax cut for the rich/corporate America + increase the min wage. 

2b. I also suggested that you to do something about the Cali bill but I have a feeling you're not the type to get engaged; just enraged and bich on message boards.

3. Yea, I'm ok with a $7 dollar INCREASE.

Raising the MIN WAGE 42% = bad

Lowering taxes for billionaires and corporations = good (and MAGA continues to fail to acknowledge the impacts of this tax policy. Meanwhile, Trump's amazing best ever no one can touch it ECONOMY collapsed within 2 months of the pandemic - smfh).

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

They need to nuke California 

FIFY

You hate the diversity? Or is this a fox news driven hatred. 

Amazing how propaganda drives people to genocidal rage 

58 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It was a general statement. The population in CA is declining as more and more people can't afford to live there. That is a fact.

That's a very short term trend. Even a slightly longer term shows growth 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You hate the diversity? Or is this a fox news driven hatred. 

Amazing how propaganda drives people to genocidal rage 

That's a very short term trend. Even a slightly longer term shows growth 

Don't watch Fox News. Haven't in a long time. I have it bookmarked on my XM and on my work computer, along with CNN and MSNBC... but rarely watch/listen unless something major is happening in the world (Ukraine, natural disaster, shooting, etc). 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Well let’s clarify. Why are you for a $7 increase but against a 42% increase?

Sorry - I thought it was clear that I was summarizing your take - which I assume - you are against a 42% increase - which raises it $7h = bad from your POV

And then I commented on Trumps tax cuts - which you continue to ignore the impacts it had on inflation = as good from your POV

Edited by BillStime

3 hours ago, muppy said:

I haven't read the thread. The title alone read very antagonistic towards the state of California. What I can say after having lived here is there IS and ARE very conservative sections of the state (orange County, Military presence etc)  Many Many people who moved here in the 80's - 90's  have purchased a home . kept it upgraded and nice. The amount we pay on a mortgage I couldn't rent a studio here. It is ridiculously expensive to rent here. We have equity which is key.  Our investment has increased five going on 6 fold. So we were lucky and blessed to have purchased when we did . We have solar electric so our bill even during this heatwave is almost nil. Solar is hugely popular as you can imagine. Anyway I received a blaring Power Flex Alert. Being off the energy grid has its definite advantages. Most all of our friends, church family etc make it work living here the same way. Homes are passed on to family members or THEY wouldnt be able to afford to live here either. Although not rich they are doing fine. Just sayin'

How are the real estate taxes?

Families are being forced to leave their homes because the increased value of their house has made the taxes too expensive. My aunt, who lived near Sacramento CA, were one of those people.

I expect my taxes to exceed my current mortgage by the time I retire.

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

How are the real estate taxes?

Families are being forced to leave their homes because the increased value of their house has made the taxes too expensive. My aunt, who lived near Sacramento CA, were one of those people.

I expect my taxes to exceed my current mortgage by the time I retire.

Property taxes are a base of 1% of the assessed value plus nickels and dimes of local taxes bringing the total to about 1.5% depending on where you live.  They increase by 2% annually.  I've lived here for 40 years and have owned 4 homes and have never had my home reassessed.  So if you're home has a tax base of $300k your taxes are about $4,500 per year.  The 2% increase amounts to a $90 increase.  Not the increase is compounded but you get my point.  I've heard of very few people being forced out of their homes due to property tax increases.  That was the whole point of Prop 13.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

And then I commented on Trumps tax cuts - which you continue to ignore the impacts it had on inflation = as good from your POV

Trump’s tax cuts? Trump moved the top rate right back to where it had been prior to the Great Recession. What you call a tax cut was actually just a reset….with the recession then clearly over.

14 minutes ago, 716er said:

The power went out in Texas

The power stayed on in California

Yup our power has NEVER gone out here.  

Let me ask you.  How are people supposed to precool their homes before 4pm when most people work until 5?  

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup our power has NEVER gone out here.  

Let me ask you.  How are people supposed to precool their homes before 4pm when most people work until 5?  

i think the idea is to get a "smart" thermostat so you can use your phone and also so they can cut it off remotely if you exceed your daily allowance...or vote wrong.

7 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

i think the idea is to get a "smart" thermostat so you can use your phone and also so they can cut it off remotely if you exceed your daily allowance...or vote wrong.

I have a smart thermostat.  I think it's safe to say most don't.  

16 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Smartest Californian 

So the government is going to tell me when I can and cannot charge the vehicle they forced me to buy.   Yay Liberty.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Raising the minimum wage by $7 per hour will result in higher prices.  If you cost of doing bidness goes up, you have to raise prices.  Also will result in more automation.  I went to Taco Bell the other night and there was nobody behind the counter to take my order, I HAD to use the kiosk bot. Look for more of this.  Will result in less people working.

As far as tax cuts, the Democrats have the power and could end it if they wanted to.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, Chef Jim said:

Property taxes are a base of 1% of the assessed value plus nickels and dimes of local taxes bringing the total to about 1.5% depending on where you live.  They increase by 2% annually.  I've lived here for 40 years and have owned 4 homes and have never had my home reassessed.  So if you're home has a tax base of $300k your taxes are about $4,500 per year.  The 2% increase amounts to a $90 increase.  Not the increase is compounded but you get my point.  I've heard of very few people being forced out of their homes due to property tax increases.  That was the whole point of Prop 13.  

So a large portion of the population (homeowners) aren't paying their fair share.