McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think he will end up in another team. It’s too soon imo to say whether I like the release or not. Hopefully we will find out why they made the decision. If he lied to McD , Beane or anyone else in the Bills organization then I agree with the move 100%. If it turns out they did it based on anything else then there’s  plenty of room for skepticism. 

It wasn't for the Bills evidently.  The only thing left is what I said.  If no one picks him up, the other 31 GMs feel the same way.

We will know Monday at 4 PM.

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

You think a team is going to want this distraction on a punter?

I don't personally.

I'm not saying he won't ever play in the NFL again.

But I think he's got to clear his name with this first before anyone signs him.

Quite possibly another team may not view it as that much of a distraction. It’s the NFL after all. I agree the position isn’t way up in the hierarchy. 

• Disagree 2

14 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I wondered this, but after the Beane/McD conference, I got the feeling that MAs been transparent with them. It might be determined that he wasn't.

I got the opposite. Beane wouldn't answer when asked if MA with held info, but inadvertently confirmed that he had.

Beane said they didn't know anything during the draft, and that Araiza's agent knew nothing. But Araiza had been investigated by the police prior to the draft, and allegations were made against him on campus at SD State. 

So Araiza failed to disclose during the pre-draft process to the Bills or his agent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Well then, I wonder what the other 31 NFL teams feel about innocent until proven guilty?

Who do you think will sign Araiza?

Here's a clue....don't hold your breath waiting.

The Buffalo Bills did the absolute right thing here. 

Billy B?

The Raaaaaiddders?!!

52 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

That was awkward. 

I don’t think any of the press even bother to ask about how they will address the replacement punter.

Have they already brought anybody in?

Tim Graham said he had been told by agents representing a lot of punters that the Bills are reaching out to schedule tryouts

Note also the restructuring of Dion's contract which Beane did to create some room this week will come in handy to take on a little higher punter salary

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, julian said:

I work for one of the most recognizable companies on the planet here in Canada and we had a co worker arrested and charged with defrauding the company insurance and collecting monies illegally.

He was not only not fired but was back at work awaiting his day in court lol. 

crazy

I blame HR, they’ve always been weak but are now total garbage anymore, at least in my experience. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If Araiza lied to the Bills about aspects of situation, is he really a part of the “family”?

He may not have lied from his perspective.   It's very likely that even he didn't know the details included in the civil suit.   That document was written entirely from "Jane Doe's" perspective.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't see this press conference but yesterday's reporters at the McDermott press conference did a great job.

Sure they did. That’s why McD had to say he wasn’t going to say anything further about it repeatedly. Walking away from the podium after the 3rd time would have been appropriate. 

7 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

You may be surprised how long it lingers. Unintended consequences.

??

1 minute ago, hemma said:

I was wondering if he walked with enough to help his parents with the legal bills.

I bet there will be a stack.

How far does $216k signing bonus go?

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It wasn't for the Bills evidently.  The only thing left is what I said.  If no one picks him up, the other 31 GMs feel the same way.

We will know Monday at 4 PM.

Obviously. Still too soon for me to say if I agree with the reason(s) though. 

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When he's vindicated... We will look stupid for not having his back.

Everything else aside (which is a huuuuuge ask), how is he supposed to play an NFL season when he is the defendant in a lawsuit?

Hypothetically, let's say he's completely vindicated. 100%. How do we know that the way McBean treats their players, and the way they dealt with this that he wouldn't want to come back here.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Quite possibly another team may not view it as that much of a distraction. It’s the NFL after all. I agree the position isn’t way up in the hierarchy. 

Maybe.

Keep in mind he was a 6th round pick and anyone could have had him as a a bargain. (Two or three punters also got chosen in front of him in the draft)

I don't see it personally but you may be right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.