McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

Is he on his way to prison? NO! He is still presumed innocent legally.

But this team has no need for this kind of distraction.  And I suspect he was not as forthcoming with the Bills as he should have been. That is a breach of trust that this team must move on from.  

Beane said Araiza’s story has not changed at any point, so he was as open at the start as he was at the last. 

31 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Too much riding on this season. They did not see enough there to die on that hill for him. If there is enough evidence there to believe he is likely guilty, why stake your reputation to support him, and potentially sidetrack a championship season?

Either it was the right thing to support him against an allegation without compelling evidence, or it was the right thing to dismiss him for an allegation with compelling evidence. One of those is the case. Considering that actual Law Enforcement has not found enough evidence to believe any of the civil allegations are chargeable since freaking October, I'm dubious about the latter.

Right now, who knows what the evidence of the matter is? There is apparently the one 11-page allegation. One source. This argument that "if he clears his name once we find out what happens, then we will welcome him back" is risible. The Bills should hope and hard as they can that this is not the case, because otherwise management has just served notice to 53 players that the organization does not have their back if someone spuriously accuses them of x-y-z.

The "season is too important" "distraction" canard is for knaves who either won't do the right thing or just don't know what it is.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Well then, I wonder what the other 31 NFL teams feel about innocent until proven guilty?

Who do you think will sign Araiza?

Here's a clue....don't hold your breath waiting.

The Buffalo Bills did the absolute right thing here. 

If this has a similar resolution to certain other cases, he could be picked up,but likely not until its over.

Geezus, they keep asking the same questions they already answered, some they have answered several times.  There is a female reporter who has asked the same question 3 times now.  Literally several people asking the same questions over again...despite always the same thorough answer by Beane and McD.  

These reporters are a joke in this PC

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don’t have any issues with anything the bills did in this situation.   They are fishing for something that is not there 

100% agree on all accounts

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus, they keep asking the same questions they already answered, some they have answered several times.  There is a female reporter who has asked the same question 3 times now.  Literally several people asking the same questions over again...despite always the same thorough answer by Beane and McD.  

These reporters are a joke in this PC

They didn't like the answer for why they changed their mind is my guess.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was saying the opposite.   I hope nobody picks him up. When he's vindicated... We will look stupid for not having his back.

Anyway, hope he's not vindicated now!

The legal decision(s) could take a long time.  As to the Bills looking bad if he is squeaky clean, no one will really care.

Then and only then, will another team think about signing him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have to ask again for all the fans who don't like MA's release.

Who is willing to bet another team picks him up on waivers?

I think he will end up in another team. It’s too soon imo to say whether I like the release or not. Hopefully we will find out why they made the decision. If he lied to McD , Beane or anyone else in the Bills organization then I agree with the move 100%. If it turns out they did it based on anything else then there’s  plenty of room for skepticism. 

OK - with Araiza gone, Buffalo has some time before they settle on a new punter.  They can wait for other teams' cuts or sign one of the free agents that are available.  In another thread, somebody suggested Bruce Kern, currently with the Titans, might get cut.  Buffalo Rumblings has a short list of free agents.    

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/8/27/23324591/list-of-free-agent-punters-for-buffalo-bills-to-sign-michael-palardy-matt-araiza 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think he will end up in another team. It’s too soon imo to say whether I like the release or not. Hopefully we will find out why they made the decision. If he lied to McD , Beane or anyone else in the Bills organization then I agree with the move 100%. If it turns out they did it based on anything else then there’s  plenty of room for skepticism. 

You think a team is going to want this distraction on a punter?

I don't personally.

I'm not saying he won't ever play in the NFL again.

But I think he's got to clear his name with this first before anyone signs him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I can tell you there are many jobs that will let you go over legal situations before you are convicted. 

Surprising it isn't the commissioners list or something of that, but I guess they wanted the situation away from the team. 

I work for one of the most recognizable companies on the planet here in Canada and we had a co worker arrested and charged with defrauding the company insurance and collecting monies illegally.

He was not only not fired but was back at work awaiting his day in court lol. 

crazy

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have to ask again for all the fans who don't like MA's release.

Who is willing to bet another team picks him up on waivers?

at this point im on board. the only way you can keep a guy on is you have video evidence of him in europe or something... that said, sticking up for a guy you already have is a completely different thing than signing this dude fresh on waivers, after this release. apples n oranges. 

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Beane said Araiza’s story has not changed at any point, so he was as open at the start as he was at the last. 

That could be true, but it doesn’t mean their investigation didn’t find the story to be full of inconsistencies. I’m pretty much hoping he’s guilty at this point as that’s about all that would make this outcome satisfactory. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The legal decision(s) could take a long time.  As to the Bills looking bad if he is squeaky clean, no one will really care.

Then and only then, will another team think about signing him.

I hope so... I am holding you to this just as you are holding me to what I said. 😉 

Oh...And by then his leg will look like a '75 Ford Granda that's been through 45 BFLo winters and 2 Fort Lauderdale summers! 😏 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

OK - with Araiza gone, Buffalo has some time before they settle on a new punter.  They can wait for other teams' cuts or sign one of the free agents that are available.  In another thread, somebody suggested Bruce Kern, currently with the Titans, might get cut.  Buffalo Rumblings has a short list of free agents.    

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/8/27/23324591/list-of-free-agent-punters-for-buffalo-bills-to-sign-michael-palardy-matt-araiza 

It’s actually a benefit because that’s one less person to cut on Tuesday. They can sneak another body into the roster and to the IR, and don’t need extra cuts to do it 

What is the best-case scenario involving Araiza, the then 17-year old accuser, and the 2 others accused?

In other words, what is the "most innocent" thing that could have happened that night?

Araiza is guilty of something... minimally very poor judgement and very poor character and possibly a lot worse than that.

And there are posters here who actually believe that the Bills should have stood behind this individual of questionable character who represents a swirling cloud of distraction?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.