Anybody Concerned About Our Defensive Backfield?

Irv

20 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

So I take it this is the latest worry, concern, fear, we are doomed, may as well just concede the whole bloody season right now, thread, why do folk get worked up over this stuff? Damn near every pundit / talking head out there thinks we are the favorite to win it all, yikes, some of y’all need a 🍸 & a 🚬 desperately, not to mention some “time” with your important other…, 

Go Bills!!!

well phrased  "important other time "  lol
 Frazier get no credit for this defense it seems.
 our depth is pretty good from front to back.
But the scheme is what makes it happen, and the adjustments made for a players weaknesses and strengths are an ongoing Coaches work.
 Not Having Tre means the Opposing offense with be testing the boundary and sidelines early and often cuz Hyde will make the call for the middle coverage.
 and the right calls are what make the difference.

Love our Depth going into this season.

Go Bills 

2 hours ago, boater said:

You're kicking a bee hive with that post. The overconfident are aplenty on this board. They don't like dissenters.

Yeah the backfield is weak. And, no, McDermott magic won't overcome that.

I have to disagree.
 But please elaborate why they seem weak at this point 98 days or so from Rams :) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Daniel from az said:

I think they have fortified the defense particularly the pass rush...that will reduce pressure on CB's.....i have followed the Bills since I was a child and have been there since the beginning....we have a special team this year.

Fact is that  all 11 need to function reasonably well AND be in tune. No small task
I do Expect the front will be making a difference in how the Back looks this season.
And my suspicion is that the Back end will look real good this year.

Go Bills !!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, artmalibu said:

The Bills should not need to blitz to get pressure, so they can have one more in coverage to level the playing field....

This is what I think us winning a super bowl comes down too. Our D line we’ve invested every year up front it’s time to show up. 

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It also got us there with a ragtag group of corners. 

Yes, the CBs held their own despite the Tre White injury and lack of pass rush. I’ll give you that, but having an all pro Safety tandem over the top certainly helps. I wouldn’t say our rag tag group of corners got us anywhere. It was Josh Allen being a straight demon on the field. They did their job enough not to be a complete liability (well, until you know…) 

On 8/25/2022 at 9:00 PM, Irv said:

I'm a little worried.  Both Safety's are banged up and are not that young.  We have White out for who knows how long.  He might come back less than 100%.    We might be starting a rookie CB on one side.  The other CB doesn't have a lot of experience.  Just in our division, we make fun of Tua here a lot, but Waddle, Gisecki, and Hill are no jokes.   How will we defend Kupp?  Nervous.  

You would be pretty dumb not to be at least a little bit concerned so not sure why all the hate on your post. So many questions regarding Whites injury. Beane did the smartest thing by drafting Elam. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

On 8/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Irv said:

I'm a little worried.  Both Safety's are banged up and are not that young.  We have White out for who knows how long.  He might come back less than 100%.    We might be starting a rookie CB on one side.  The other CB doesn't have a lot of experience.  Just in our division, we make fun of Tua here a lot, but Waddle, Gisecki, and Hill are no jokes.   How will we defend Kupp?  Nervous.  

I think it's legit cause for concern. 

But the DB's "best friend" in a zone defense is stout pressure up front.  Part of the DB friendliness in McD's zone is that if the zone guys make the right read and "do their job" initially, it slows the QB down enough for pressure to get there before the receivers can "find the gaps" and the coverage breaks down.

Beane poured off-season resources into rebuilding the DL.  4 of the 8 key rotational pieces were new signings in off-season FA, including the team's one "big splash" signing of Von Miller.   That's not a fluke - it's a strategic decision driven by the defensive philosophy of our HC.  They looked at the roster after the season, decided that our DL was not providing an adequate ROI as far as affecting the QB and primary run D.  Beane ruthlessly re-worked it by moving on both from fan favorites such as Jerry Hughes and Harrison Phillips, and from the coaching "comfort food" of Carolina Connections (which McDermott had relied upon to provide "buy in" to his/Fraziers system). 

The young DLmen who've been high investments from the previous 2 drafts, doubtless got a message "Level Up, or Leave"

So, the DL got the Big Bucks both in terms of FA investment this season and the last couple drafts.  Either the DL stays healthy and "meet expectations" for ROI, or the defense circles the drain (and possibly the season). 

The way I see it, it's really that simple.   One can disagree with that philosophy (and some here vociferously do) but It Is What It Is.

As far as DB, the team has been developing Hamlin and Johnson as understudies to Hyde and Poyer for some years, relying on them to take their place.  Elam was drafted to eventually be an upgrade to Levi Wallace (a Wallace who can play man) and to "hedge their bets" if White wasn't ready to start the season.  So it's not as though the team has been covering their eyes doing nothing "lalalala" as Poyer/Hyde age and White returns from injury.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, boater said:

Yeah the backfield is weak.

Seriously? Two of the best individual safeties in the league and arguably the best overall safety duo. One of the best nickel CBs in the league. At outside CB a proven competent starter and two promising young talents with elite physical traits. Without White on the field it isn't going to be the best we've seen in the McDermott era, but it is patently ridiculous to call our secondary "weak."

Yep, genuinely concerned. Stepping back from the ledge though I think in the end it’ll be somewhere between A- OK and below average. Elam will be the only starter that hasn’t been in this system so the concern is probably overblown. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Everyone in this topic has spoken about the D-line/pass rush or the secondary/coverage but don't forget the Bills have two of the best coverage linebackers in the league.

They're a big part of this team's effectiveness against the pass.

IMO as long as the defense stays healthy they'll be fine.

Moreover I believe Elam is ready for the challenge and will be competitive because they'll play to his strengths.

McFrazier won't be afraid to have him press Kupp in pressure situations where Stafford has to get the ball out quickly.

I think we'll be fine. JMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.